tokyo-marathon-2014

Hello everybody,

Is anybody going to join me in February???  Just when I thought I only had Chicago left to run of the marathon majors some pesky people added a 6th one to the list.  The marathon that was on the list of ones that looked good a few years ago, then fell off the list when my running turned to mince has had to be added back onto the list.  Now I have bagged four of the big six it would almost be a crime not to add the last couple to my list of marathons and collection of bling. image

I've booked the tour with 2:09 events for 4 days and am then going to head off and do my own thing for another 4 days before coming home.  After doing the goofy challenge last year the lure of a day at Tokyo Disney and a bit of extra time to see more of what Tokyo has to offer has more of a lure than a trip to Mount Fuji.  I am officially a big kid. image

Hope there are a few of you out there that will be joining me. image

Comments

• I'm running Tokyo, staying 4 nights then off to Kyoto.... this will be my second trip, pretty excited.  Still waiting on my london 2014 ballot results email to come....image

Congrats on the goofy challenge... ran Disney once, may go back for goofy but that was one of the hottest races ever for me

• I will let you know your London ballot result now........you didn't get in for the millionth time of applying.  Its amazing how lucky people who have never run a marathon who predict 7 hours plus get in the "chance" selection compared to folk who put in 3-4 hours and run them all the time.  Some might suggest it isn't pure chance although I would want to allege such things. image

I am really looking forward to Tokyo it should be a good trip. It should be a different experience.  I've never been to Tokyo.  I've been to China and Singapore but never been to japan.

I worked on the rather unusual principle to avoid the heat at Disney of running as had as I could and as far as I could in darkness.  The longer I was out there the worse it was going to get.  I managed the half almost in total darkness and was coming out of animal kingdom by the time the sun came up and the last of the early morning mist burnt away.  It made it a lot easier than for the poor folk who were out there for 6 or 7 hours!!!!  The Goofy has got even bigger now and trumped by the Dopey challenge.  4 races, 4 days and 6 bits of bling on offer.  I will have to go back some time and luckily because they have changed the challenge I have nothing to compare it to.   I don't think I will ever run as well as I did at Goofy this year ever again and you never want the anti-climax of a personal worst. image

• I've never heard of the Dopey challenge, will need to look into that (just for giggles).    As far as London goes ... well this is my first time and didn't know it was that difficult to get in until I read alot of the facebook postings.  Suppose to know something soon.  We'll see, one year... Tokyo will be really great.  image

• Right that is Frankfurt ticked off the list and a pre Tokyo period of hibernation has been entered for a few weeks.  Better bump this thread up the list again and see if me and Anthony van find any more recruits to the thread.

• As a 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Tokyo Marathoner (but not 2014 - having a year off!), I can guarantee you that you'll love this race. Great crowds, fantastic organisation, and the biggest, craziest expo going! If you have any questions about the race, the city, getting to and from the start/finish/Expo, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

• Thanks Gazza I will keep that kind offer in mind in the months to come.

Does that mean you are going Goofy or Dopey this January in preference to Tokyo.  I think it was over on that thread I might have seen you in the past.  Thought I'd go and see my Minnie at her moose's hoose in Tokyo instead.  I think her security folk in Orlando would keep me well away from her after I manhandled her on the finishing line of the marathon last year lol imageimage

I've just noticed that these forums have stopped counting how many posts you have places on them.  It is actually quite nice to not have that constant reminder of how much of my life I have wasted on these message boards!!!! image

• I've signed up today. I had done the World Majors but need to complete the new set! Looking forward to it, I've never been to Japan before.
  • hi Jimmy nice of you to join the thread.  That must have been a disappointment to find you had another major to run or maybe not its given you an excuse for another fab holiday!!!  As a matter of interest how have you or anybody else got into the race.  did anybody try and get through the ballot.  There was always a feeling that foreign runners were favoured in the ballot to raise the profile of the Tokyo marathon.  i was wondering if that was still the case now it has major status.

Well training has recommenced and after a month off after frankfurt it has been bloody tough, slow and turgid stuff so far.  its going to be  tough 10 weeks to get anything near tip top shape for Tokyo image

• Hells bells the Tokyo marathon is officially this year and next month!!!!!! image

Training not exactly where it should be 7 weeks or so before a marathon. image

• Caniggia33, today is usually the day that I would start training seriously for Tokyo!

Plenty of time to fit in a few long runs and get yourself in race shape. Im still a bit disappointed that I wont be on the start line in Tokyo this year (and envious of those of you who will be), but Im sure that'll be offset by the excitement of next weeks Dopey Challenge in WDW.

If, like me, you like a very gentle jog to loosen the legs the day before a marathon, may I suggest a lap of the Imperial Palace. Its 5km, has no roads to contend with, and the scenery is great. And most importantly, run ANTI-CLOCKWISE unless you want to get stared at by every other runner!

• Also going to Tokyo - glad to hear it's not only my training schedule that's gone pear shaped (injuries, gales, rain, christmas pudding etc.)...this will be my ninth marathon but first outside Europe or US - very excited!

Was wondering if anyone knew when it was best to go to the expo to avoid the crush?

• My experience is that the Expo is best around Friday lunchtime. Never had to queue for more than a minute at that time.

Friday evening (after working hours) and all day Saturday are both absolutely manic and should be avoided... unless you like that sort of thing!

• i again gazza and nice of you t join us oldntyred image

I am trying to look positively on my lack of training and hope to hit the race on the up.  i was suffering most of last year with tenonitis which was purely self inflicted as should have had a proper break after the goofy challenge but did not have one.  At least I'm running painish free for the 1st time in ages.

Thanks for the tip about the Oriental Palace.  it has always been one of my favourite kerryoots but didn't realise it was that big!!! image

Good luck next week Gazza I loved my Goofy last year.  Run great, be a big kid and have a blast.  Give Minnie

• a big hug from me when you see her and tell her can't wait to see her next month at Tokyo Disney. I love Minnie she's such a sexy mouse!!!! image

• Oo-er missus - I seem to have joined a mouse fancying thread!

I like the idea of hitting the race 'on the up' though - positive thinking.

Thanks for the advice Gazza81 - early Friday sounds good image

(Roger Rabbit's wife - now she was a hottie!)
  • Admit it oldntyred she is loverley and you really fancy a day at Tokyo Disney!!!! image

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/news-in-pics/2003/01/02//japanminpic.jpg

Well that was an absolute treat today.  Isn't winter marathon training fun!!!!!

Soaking wet, freezing cold and really really really short of pace.  The only positives were that 16 miles is the furthest I have run since Frankfurt at the end of October, my ankle has held together pretty well for a long run on the roads rather than a spongy dreadmill and I can still walk tonight and that I didn't stop for any walky breaks although I think the grim weather rather than my physical condition may have been the major contributing factors.  Lots of hard work ahead of me in the next seven weeks. image

Might go and practice my karaoke.................. image

• Watching the clock count down on the homepage, 34 days!! image  My training isn't going well at all, just running a few miles daily.  My goal is just to relax and enjoy myself.  I attempted a PR last month at Hoover Dam marathon and trashed my body on the hills.  I guess it's time to start weather tracking... I'm kinda spoiled with sunny/68f temps everyday in the desert southwest!

I plan on going to the expo on Thursday to get it out of the way and free up time for sightseeing on Fri/Sat.  I arrive around 1630 (Narita) and hotel (Grand Pacific) is close to the expo.  They are open until 2100 so should be doable.  I can't wait to hit up the race merchandise image

Can anyone (Gazza81?) that has run Tokyo previously comment on race day transportation?  Is it free with a bib#, all companies?

• Anthony you are not alone in struggling your way through your training.  The only good thing I can say about my training is I'm putting a lot of effort in.  It just isn't happening speed or stamina wise.  Not a good sign today when I headed to the gym to avoid the monsoon for a long run and was struggling to get down the stairs to the treadmill.  Was hitting the slow down button after 30 minutes, again at an hour and was going at a pace I haven't ran at other than warm ups/down for another 50 minutes.  Not really sure what is going wrong at the moment and not much time to get it right.

That sounds like a similar plan for the expo as me.  I was trying to plan my sightseeing the other night and there is certainly plenty to see and do.  Not sure about the race day stuff.  I'm starting my holiday with 2:09 events and am pretty sure I am getting bussed to the start.  Having said that I was supposed to get bussed to the start to new York in 2008 only to find the bus left at 4:30am and ignored it, had another 3 hours in my bed, caught a local bus and the staten island ferry.  I may do similar again here once I know more!!!!

• Regarding transportation, Ive never really had to use it because I generally stay fairly close to Shinjuku, but from memory I think Tokyo Metro is free if you're wearing your bib (you might want to confirm that at the Expo though). Tokyo Metro have always been a major sponsor so I see no reason why anything would've changed in that respect. The only problem is that not all lines on the Metro map are run by Tokyo Metro. Some (very few) are "private" lines so I dont think they would be covered. Fortunately the metro in Tokyo is very cheap anyway and equates to about 90p for a single ticket through the centre of town. A lot of lines go through Shinjuku so the start is a very easy place to get to (unlike NYC)...

...getting away from Big Sight afterwards can be a bit of a pain though. You walk a very indirect route back to the station (including a few staircases!!!), but once you're there and on a train, its easy.

• Good inside knowledge there Gazza - staying near Shinjuku myself and within walking distance of the start - not looking forward to the scramble to get away from the finish (although its usually quieter by the time I get there).

Rinkai line back toward Shinjuku afterwards according to my (not very extensive) research.

Anthony and Caniggia I feel your pain. I feel the least prepared ever for the 26.2 but am hoping the old legs will remember to keep going on the day.

Excitement building here - if only my Minnie Mouse outfit arrives in time...image

• how was disney?  did you get all the bling through customs?  was my minnie looking as lovely as always and look after you well?

• I'm going to count on paying my fare towards the start esp since only private lines run through daiba area.  Rinkai line in 20 min sounds like a plan!  I hope not to check baggage but that will depend on the weather.  I'm staying near the finish so what's an extra mile or so walk back to the hotel? image

Hrm, maybe I need a costume?

• Ive never used the Rinkai Line. One thing I'd definitely recommend is that if you're going to get the Yurikamome to the Expo (which I imagine you will), try to get to the Toyosu end. It takes what seems an eternity from the Shimbashi end, including a wonderful and completely pointless massive loop near the Rainbow Bridge!

If it makes a difference to your decision Anthony7, the bag check and bag pick-up at Tokyo Marathon are both very quick and very simple. Ive never had to queue in any of the 4 years Ive been there. The start area is a bit of a wind tunnel so if its a chilly start to the day (like last year), it can get quite bitter down there.

Disney was fantastic, thanks Cannigia. Running 48.6 miles has never been so much fun. Plenty of stops for photos, but decided against going on Expedition Everest during the marathon. Minnie was looking good as usual but I stayed away. Didnt want to step on your toes. I went for a massive high-five with Mickey at the finish line instead. Definitely an event I'll be doing again in the future! runDisney just get it. Fantastic organisation in every single aspect of the event.

• Maybe I should pack a bag then, never know when you need a change of clothes or a fav post race snack!  Been tracking weather already and so far it looks good for Jan and hoping it continues into Feb.... hoping at least for a 40f start and no rain/wind.

Disney marathon was prob the worst ever for me only because it was like the hottest ever... We were drenched in sweat by mile 2 before the sun even came up.  80 and full humidity was just too much for me.  It made for a LONG day.   Apparently the next year it was freezing temps so the weather there is unpredictable.  I enjoyed the parks thou and even saw a gator on side of the road!

• My experience of Tokyo weather in February is to expect anything and everything. In 2010 it was about 35F with sleet, then the following year was 65F with blazing sunshine. The goodies they give out after the race are quite good. Unfamiliar, but to be honest, I'll try just about anything after a marathon. The apple jelly drink thing sounds ghastly but is particularly good!

Oh, before I forget, be careful during the race with food. They give out bread and some of it is filled with chocolate (thats nice), but others are filled with bean curd (thats not nice... especially when youre expecting chocolate). Approach with caution!

The 10km and half-marathon in Disney were pretty uncomfortable, both around 80F with 100% humidity. Fortunately a huge (and I mean huge!) thunderstorm blew through the night before the marathon, cleared all the humidity and took the temperature down to 70F on race day. Almost perfect running conditions.

• Hello guys,

I signed up to Runner World after seeing this thread. image

I am also running the Tokyo and really really excited to be doing it. I got my racepack in yesterday and trying to get the last few big runs in before settling down for the last 2 weeks.

This will be my 3rd Major Marathon, my dream is for all 6. I done Berlin last year and New York in 2011.

I'm staying at the Tokyo Hilton, so it's around 5 minutes from the start that will be perfect for me.

Couple of questions.

1. At the start of the race, can I put my bag into the truck, then say go back up to my room to use the toilet, ot once you are in the truck area, then you need to stay there?

2. Would a taxi be a better, allbeit more expensive option to get back from the Finish line? Or is the train really that easy?

I'm slightly concerened by the sound of that walk after it, I thought New York was horrendous for that and this sounds worse!

Cheers, Mark image

• Mark, Ive done New York and Tokyo and the New York walk was much worse. The difference between the two is that in New York, the walk is immediately after the finish line, before you have even got your bag back. In Tokyo, you get your bag very quickly, can get changed, go for a cheeky little foot spa in the changing area, then do the walk to the station in your own time.

Getting a taxi from Big Sight is almost impossible. A lot of roads are closed and the place is absolutely heaving with people. You could be lucky and find one floating about, but I wouldnt bank on it.

There are loads of portaloos in the event village. I mean loads!! Out on the course is a different matter though. You probably could head back up to your room and go back to the village as long as you have your bib on. Just a word on the loos actually. Japan has 2 types of portaloos, the Japanese Style and the Western Style. Find the ones that say Western Style unless you want to squat over a hole in the floor.

• I tend to pee many times before and during a race.  My ritual is to get in line right away and then back in line again immediately after going cuz usually I have to go again once I get through the line again!  image

I'm a bit concerned about the bathrooms along the course though.  I've read in some reviews they can be a ways off the road with long waits.

Mark you said you got your packet yesterday?  I wasn't aware they were mailing them.  Do we know if we need to bring anything with us to the expo other than passport/ID such as confirmation sheet?  Is this what's being mailed?

• Thanks Gazza for that information! That makes things sound so much better!

I'll probably just get the train then, my wife is coming with me and was thinking she could get me at the finish but might be best for her to head back to hotel on her own accord. 

Will bear that in mind about the loos. image

Hi Anthony, after having a major panic the other day about it all as I hadn't really heard anything about the actual race, I emailed the organisers, who told me that the pack would be here to the UK this week. It arrived in the door the same morning of the email! 

It has a sheet that you must fill out and take with you to the EXPO in order to get your number card, chip and other items. Don't forget to take it, or it's no race and there seems to be no exceptions neither. 

Does anyone know if there is merchandise? I can't see anything about that. 

Got my first race of the year on Sunday as prep, Dewsbury 10K. image

• Hello everybody,

Is it ever going to stop pissing down so I can get at least one nice long run in without hypothermia setting in???

Training hard not seeing much improvement. image