Women's long sleeved running top

I am currently training for paris marathon which is in April.  I feel that I need a new running top as mine is looking terrible and it doesn't seem to absorb the sweat away from the body.

I am a bit bamboozled by all the choice.  I went to the local running shop today and they recommended an Adidas supanova long sleeved tee.  I liked the feel of the fabric but it did feel thin I'm not sure if it's warm enough for  winter weather.  Can anyone advise or give any other recommendations

thanks

melanie 

Comments

• That is a tough question. I have a thicker running shirt with long sleeves and a thinner one. I also use a base layer and sometimes a jacket. It is all depending on the weather and your speed. You heat up easily during running but with cold wind, you probably need something else to wear as well. Do you wear a base layer and/or jacket? My thicker shirt is from Falke, I have a thin Nike shirt with long sleeves which is great under my jacket.

Sometimes it is a matter of trying different shirts and buying in sale and outlet untill you found your optimal mixes and combinations

I would not worry too much for the marathon in April. You probably don't even want to wear long sleeves during that run!

• I know this is exactly what everyone says you shouldn't do, but I have several long-sleeved cotton tops from Gap which I find are very comfortable. I wear them with a t-shirt over the top, and a wind proof gilet over that if it's really cold. I know that's not technical and wicking, but they're cheap, comfortable and easy to wash. Generally in winter it's better to go with several thin layers than one thick, as when you start out it may be cold but warm up later, and if you're only wearing one layer it doesn't give much flexibilty.

• @RR: but why not use a good base layer as first layer? I am ever so happy with that since it is never too hot or too cold with the right layers on top of that. Maybe they are not cheap but great and a good investment. I have a Falke baselayer and never regretted buying it!

• I just buy long sleeve tops from Aldi or Lidl when they're on sale. Fantastic kit.

Other than that - I'll wear race souvenirs.

I never wear cotton - no need - tech kit dries quicker.

A long sleeve top probably isnt warm enough for winter - although winter covers a huge range of temps and conditions. On a dry mild day - fine.

On a cold windy wet day - no.

I'd not pay a huge amount for a top.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

The Helly Hansen long sleeves are great (http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/helly-hansen-womens-dry-original-long-sleeved-top-aw12.html) - other sellers are availableimage

I also love the underarmour long sleeved gear... but i'm the same as Cougie and regularly buy from the sales

• Yep - rather two or three cheap tops v one flashy branded top. (that will be in the wash when you need it and work just the same).
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

In winter I only wear one layer - a long-sleeved, thin top.  I have a couple of adidas ones, and a Falke base layer that I wear on it's own.

I wear some thin fleece gloves, a fleece headband and maybe a buff if it's really cold.  The gloves are usually taken off after a couple of miles and stuffed down my tights.

While you are running, your body shouldn't be cold - you should be generating a lot of heat.  

I used to wear way too much - too many layers, and end up either being too hot, or having to take something off.  For me, less is definitely more image

• Running Rodent wrote (see)

I know this is exactly what everyone says you shouldn't do, but I have several long-sleeved cotton tops from Gap which I find are very comfortable. I wear them with a t-shirt over the top, and a wind proof gilet over that if it's really cold. I know that's not technical and wicking, but they're cheap, comfortable and easy to wash. Generally in winter it's better to go with several thin layers than one thick, as when you start out it may be cold but warm up later, and if you're only wearing one layer it doesn't give much flexibilty.

I agree. I've got some base layers that are just old Hennes stretch tops. If they are comfortable and don't chafe it doesn't matter whether they were designed for running or not.

Proper tech base layers are way too hot for me, even on their own, unless there's actually snow on the ground. 

• I have a long sleeve and a short sleeve base layer... I went out hill running with the long sleeve one on the other week, and had to just stop half way up this hill and strip down to my sports bra to take it off as i was melting image

Gotta be minussomething to wear it I think,

Could not imagine doing a marathon in a long sleeved top, even a thin one. Just to hot, I end up grabbing extra water to pour over my head to cool me down, don't think i've ever been to cold in a marathon.

Good luck with your marathon, oh have you considered arm sleeves and a bumbag to stick them in if you get hot.

• Quick review of the Adidas Supernova top since you mentioned it as personally I love this one and have several of them! image You are right, it is a very thin material and is probably best worn with a gillet, jacket or a tee-shirt over the top on very chilly days.  It's super soft and comfy though, wicks/dries well plus I've had one for well over a year of regular use and still looks new.  Just don't catch it on velcro or fingernails!! Or the material will get all bobbled as it is quite delicate!!

Arm sleeves are amazing too, very easy to take off if you get hot, and tuck them in a waistband or belt-bag, but really do make a big difference when you're cold.

I tend to only were the long sleeves in very cold or windy/wet weather as I'm quite a "hot" person and can only tolerate one or two layers even in minus temps!  They got worn loads for walking/cross training though.

• Hi

Wow thanks for so many replies.

I've had a good read of all your posts. The reason I have found I need a long sleeved top is that no matter what the weather even when it's hot I can't wear vests or short sleeves as I get a sweat rash all down the inside of my arms but I don't get it with long sleeves.

I am wearing a jacket on top of my cheapy karramor running top at the moment which is fine but it's quite a thick top and I do get hot.

Great to hear all your ideas

Thanks Melanie
  • Did you een try the anti chafe stick on your arms? Maybe worth a try?

Happy running

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Melly - if you're getting a sweat rash - also look at your deo. When I changed to a sensitive one my sweat rash went away.