Sub 3

Comments

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - you seem to be building up some very nice miles.

AW - nice double and tempo run. HMP should feel hard after 5M!

DrDave - I've got some duathlons coming up, and as my running is much stronger than my cycling, I'm aiming to cycle 4-5 times a week and run 3-4 times a week for the next couple of months. Given the weather/darkness at the moment, I can only usually get outdoors on the bike once a week, so all the rest is on the turbo. The turbo is better for intervals etc. anyway, so works quite well.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Greetings, thread.

I'll be at Bath and am doing the 10M option at Bramley, although it's feeling like I won't be running any very impressive times until later in March - hopefully the Larne HM in NI will produce a more respectable time than I'm anticipating in Bath...  And, for anyone not VLM-ing, Maidenhead Easter 10 will probably be the main spring target for me.  62/63 mins would be very nice.

• DanA / AW nice bit of mileage .... blimey we clock up the miles on this thread. My friends think I'm insane. In here I feel "normal"

Jools, wow 62-63 minutes would be pretty tasty for 10 miles. Way out of my league.

Just did 8.5 miles in 57m29 / 6.46mm which was my usual Thursday Regents park sprint 2 mins / jog 3 mins beasting x 9. This was the 4th of 8 of this session in my plan and the idea is to just keep chipping away. Improved the session by another 20 seconds this week. The conditions were worse, the HR slightly lower at 151 average. Maybe I was more up for it today, it didn't feel any different to last week. Maybe the increased mileage and training with fast dudes at London Heathside is improving me slightly.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

HM pb is 6.23m/m, and I went through 10M in just under 64 mins when I ran that, so theoretically 63 mins is there for the taking - it's just I'm not nearly as fit at the moment as I was in January 2013!  Hopefully I'll be back where I should be by mid April.

• TmothTmoth ✭✭✭

Nicely done tough sounding sesh there TJB - good pace too.

DanA - proper consistent mileage!....at what stage does an MLR become an LR? 18 - 19? And for that matter when does a GA run become an MLR? 9-10?

Was planning the Larne half meself Jools - as it is my (ish, I;m on the right side of the irish sea) kneck of the woods and it would be a good 'see where i am' race in the build up to BCM which is my target race. But stag in L'pool clashes. Wouldn;t see you for dust anyhoo.

11 MLR s'mornin at unremarkable pace.

Kowtow

• Well done Tmoth - 11 is tidy for a weekday morning.

Yes my pacing today was based on gasping for half the time and getting my breath back for half the time. What I need to be able to do is run that pace even, breathing slowly and relaxed with the HR at around 145 to start rising gradually to about 160 after 26.2 miles.

IMO the MLR starts at about an hour and the LR starts at about 2 hours.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams - i do 4 x the 15min/5min (30s/30s) with a 10min w/u to make 90mins, agreed you'd have to push teh pace a bit to make it hard. For me its a bit more like a race where you need to accelerate out of corners etc and then hold a steady pace again. Sounds like the Pug guy on that thread is getting folks going then, I'm still not interested in having a look though, he's prorbably enjoying the attention.

DanA - thats a great streak of Wednesday runs, better than my long runs !

Outside of marathon training a long run for me is 12M+, in marathon training I guess its more 18+.

10M steady for me this morning, cant remember the last time i ran 10M !

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice MLR's TR & TMoth.

Great session HR.

Some decent miles being banked DanA & AW.

Jools.. any marathon plans for this year?

Jimbob.. if it wasn't for the pace variation that would make for a decent tempo run!  Nice workout.

JH1.. you seem to have got off fairly lightly from that tumble judging by the training this week, good news.

Bedders.. I think I must know you from the York Park Run (and the RU taking the P run) without knowing for certain (if you know what I mean!).  I'm just down the road in Taddy.  Cracking run at the BM, hope the training goes well for a sub 3.

TT.. we found a few bits of info about iron intake when Mrs Wardi was affected. As an example if you drink orange juice in a morning it is a very good source of iron.  However if you drink tea soon after it reduces the iron intake from the juice.  I always leave a couple of hours between the two.  I always put raisins on my cereal as these too are good iron suppliers.  I have also read what Dr.Dave said - no point in taking iron supplements if your levels are normal as side effects can result.

11m + 5m today.  Reccy'd the club handicap course for Sunday this morning as a small bridge on the route was undergoing repairs.  Got there to find it was closed so had to run the same route back again, did a bit of fartlek on the way.  5m steady this evening.  The handicap is 8m so we will have to do it as an out & back course.

• Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

TR wrote (see)

DanA - thats a great streak of Wednesday runs, better than my long runs !

seconded!

I did 9.5 with 7 tempo today was trying for 6:15s but first 5 avg @ 6:20 then a couple of 6:42s . Not bad for me, first tempo of the year. Keeping the mileage down this week seems to be paying off, ITBS in hand, probably do LR Sunday after all. Had thought of a 10k race but it's a bit far and I can't be @rsed.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Wardi: I'll probably do Frankfurt again but no spring marathon, which feels like a relief now, given how unfit I am now!

12M including 4 x 1M.  I'd hoped for about 6.30-6.40, but had to settle for 6.45s - it looks like I'm about 15s/mile behind where I should be, but I guess that will all start to come back relatively quickly over the next month or so...

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jools - nice run. I tend to find the fitness comes back pretty quickly if it's just a short break, so you'll probably be going well again by March.

TR - if I need to do another long ride on the turbo, I'll probably do 4 or 5x your session, as it seemed to break it up well and made the time pass quickly.

Nice mileage from Wardi as well.

11M for me last night, done as 4 laps of a 2.3M (ish) lap I do quite often, then a cooldown and some strides. Plan was 16 mins, then 15:30, 15:00, 14:30, but actual times were more like 15:40, 15:20, 14:45 and 14:10 (i.e. 6:50s for first lap down to 6:10s for the last). Felt pretty comfortable throughout.

• Padams - More great training

Joools - Nice mile reps, you looked comfortable when i saw you.

Wardi - Good mileage

PI Man - Solid tempo.

BAC session. 2x 27mins 5mins jog recovery.  

Nearly bailed after 2 miles as I felt like shit, managed to complete the first session in an average of 5.42 (first mile was 5.49), then I'm not sure what happened (apart from seeing Jools) but the second 27 mins felt great and I averaged 5.31 and was cruising.  I suppose I may have had the 17 miles from Tuesday (also 104 miles in the last  days) in my legs but the difference in the 2 reps was staggering both in pace and how I felt.

7 this morning felt fine.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

SL: well, I was still on the warm-up jog and therefore running 8.15m/m when I saw you!  Glad the session improved.  My paces were all over the shop: fastest rep was 6.35 and slowest was 6.52 - perhaps the GPS reception was worse than normal on the Portway.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

DrD - I have IBS and my biggest anaemia issues have also tended to coincide with my biggest or most consistent periods of mileage, so I'm guessing there's a dual cause (footstrike haemolysis and malabsorption due to the IBS), possibly exacerbated by not eating enough iron-rich foods. I guess it's a case of just having regular tests and ensuring I stay in the right range.

Cheers for the tips Wardi. I am aware of vit-c helping absorption, so have been having something appropriate with the tablets to help. I am a big coffee drinker as well, which has the same effects as tea and therefore I suspect has contributed to the problem, so I need to cut down on that. Raisins are a no-go unfortunately (one of my IBS triggers). 
    On the plus side, I'm having a bloody steak and curly kale for dinner this evening and I'm going to have a crack at making my own liver pate over the weekend (one of my birthday pressies was the Cordon Bleu Cooks' Bible) image

LS - my avatar is Emil Zatopek.

Jools - I'm also down for the 10m @ Bramley, but whether I actually do it or not depends on how things pick up over the next few days. Either way it'll be no more than a marker for current fitness, rather than anything quicker I think. I'm tempted to enter Maidenhead as I wanted to nail a good 10m time this year.

Nice training from far too many to single out. Unsurprisingly not much going on here. 33m so far this week, all easy. I'm definitely starting to feel a little more sprightly as I've managed to get 3 semi-decent nights of sleep in a row for the first time in longer than I can remember.

I'm glad I plumped for a later spring marathon as it means that I still have 16 weeks to go, so I'm thinking of a base phase for the next 7 to get the mileage up without too much intense effort to allow my body to recover, and then a similar last 9 weeks to pre-Amsterdam.

• Rest yesterday (legs knackered plus a breakfast-time mini-conference to go to), and I'm a bit out of touch, but lots of good training in progress. Particular mentions to Dan for that excellent MLR streak and Jools for boosting SL's powers in his session merely by her appearance.

I am super-paranoid about getting ill with my running hat on, and usually start on the quack preventatives (Vicks First Defence, echinacea) as soon as a cold germ gets anywhere near me. But for some reason this week it didn't occur to me until my youngest had been ill for about 3 days, and now I've definitely got a cold -- whether the quackery would have helped I cannot say, but I'm still cross with myself just in case. I still plodded to work today, but at a modest pace. Though my legs felt quite fresh after the day off in fact. Should be a big January -- stats to report later.

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

Wardi - Good double from you. Ribs aren't stopping me from getting out, just stopping me from doing anything at pace as involves breathing too hard and that is when the pain kicks in.

Dan A - That's a great consistancy of MLR's.

Wanted to get my 12m (inc 6@HMP) done this morn due to work and weather looking pretty bad this afternoon/evening. I'm not a morning person and it showed. This was going to be a hard session as it was, but at no time did my body want to co-operate especially within 30mins of getting up. I thought I'd delay the tough pace until mile 3 but it never got any easier and knew it was never going to happen. Ended up only running 7.10pace all way round. The only plus, was that I got 11 in and the hr only a couple of beats higher than recovery pace.  I know it's only a glitch and more likely the body not ready for a hard effort.

Jan stats - 342m

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Hopefully it clears quickly CW.

Nice mileage JH1.

Monthly stats for me.

Miles: 338
    Avg Pace: 7:09
    Days Off: 9 - had planned 4. The majority of the extras were in the last week.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I don't normally post monthly stats, but I will today simply because it may be the only time they will ever be higher than TT's.

Miles - 354 (highest ever!)

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Likewise.  My first ever post of monthly stats.  I've got an easy 6 miles planned this evening which will make 449 miles for January.  Maybe I should change it to 7 instead. image

A quick look at Marigold's blog though, and he manages 280 miles in a fortnight!!

• 338 TT and you're not at your best.  What mileage would you usually be doing?  Good mileage Dachs and JH.  Good session Padams, as usual. 

Did a 17:55 5k lunch race today which I’m pleased with as I did an 18mile yesterday morning and felt good afterwards too.  I did get out-run by a guy in his 50s though. Hope I’m capable of that at that age.  Ipswich park run tomorrow morning then Watford Half on Sunday, bit of a speedier week this one.

300miles for me, not sure on the pace.

•  Big miles posted so far.

267 miles for me, which is my highest ever for a month.

• 380 ish for me.  2 rest days.

• I'm running London, aiming for my first sub3. I had 11mi with 6mi at lactate threshold today.

I managed to run the 6 quick miles at 5:59 and my Garmin told me that the run included my fastest ever 10k (37:32), so it was a reassuring run. 

Need to avoid injury!

• Greetings

Busy day yesterday so didn't get time to post. However 8 miles with some hilly bits with a running club. Went with their fast group as the leader was one of the people who hurdled me after I fell over at Abingdon and recognised me. Managed to keep up quite happily though the hills took their toll and the rest of he group appeared go be well seasoned XCers. Will. Go back again next week with a completed membership form.

10 commute this morning as well

192 for the month wit too many rest days and averaging 7:28 mm. Still my biggest January on record so must be going non the right direction.

• TmothTmoth ✭✭✭

231 for me highest and most consistent month to date

• TRTR ✭✭✭

blimey, some big totals there, good work folks.

Padams - yes, I think that turbo session is better for longer when done for a longer time, harder reps are needed for shorter sessions.

SL - isnt every BAC session like that ? I always feel like sacking it in the first mile or so, good that you picked it up though, what sort of pace is 5:31 for you HMP and MP wise ?

JH1 - just a bad day at the office I suppose, running hard early mornings is something I find tough though. Having no choice means you have to get on with it though.

12M steady this morning so 191M for January, pretty poor compared to most on here. 3 runs, 2 turbos and 1 swim for the week with tomorrow to go, life has been getting in the way again and I have to work from early tomorrow so no long run. I hopefully have a couple of quieter weeks coming up so I can catch up on the bike and swim a bit, if not then I'll have to go down to 2 of each sport and build up to 3 when I can.

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Aye that's me Wardi, I imagine you to be one of those many faces at events you recognise but have no idea of their name!image Don't get down to Parkrun as often as I'd like as Saturday morning's are my long run (will be a regular fixture down there after the Spring marathon though), but I haven't missed a 'RUTTP' race as yet - fantastic event and I'm managed to win it last year which was a nice bonus.

Some of the mileage numbers on here are astronomical! And all the 'x's boggle my mind a bit! You all have my admiration!

I hit my highest ever mileage for a month in January - 310, which I was chuffed with given the mini-taper/recovery for the Brass Monkey half. The month closed with an extremely bizarre outing on my session yesterday. Thursday morning's are my 10K Tempo run, my race PB is 37.40 and I'm happy if I can get a training run under 40 mins, what with nutrition, rest & no taper etc to consider. Not sure what happened yesterday but I knocked out a 36:26 (!).

I've seen a million threads on the general forum asking "do training run's count as PBs" but never thought it would apply to me! I'm now a tad worried that I won't be able to recreate that time in an actual race, and that'll annoy the hell out of me until I do!

• Just about managed to survive to the end of the week.

Finally forced myself to do a Medium Run last night (14m) albeit pretty slowly (7.05m/m) and felt shattered today.

Had to do a double today to just about get over 300 miles for January (300.04 to be precise) - like many here, my highest ever monthly mileage. [3 rest days]

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Bidders and Andrews - great tempo runs, both of those are plenty fast enough for a sub 3 aspirant.

Amazing mileage for loads of you, hope it all pays off in April.

Only about 140M for me, but only a couple of rest days so a decent month of training.

Only time for 45 mins on the turbo this evening, but Friday's always my easy day so that's fine.