Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Race 2. At least this time.

The general public can relate to running and winning a race. The concept of pb's and fast courses is a bit beyond them.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The adrenaline of leading a race is off the scale though, great to experience.

Stuff you don't normally worry about, like directions, suddenly becomes a massive game of concentration...especially at the level of race you and me would compete for the win in!

In all 3 of my race wins I've seen some shocking marshalling...

4.7miler (!), steaming up to a simple left/right option. WHICH WAY...oh sorry...left. Not to mention having to cross an A road unmarshalled later on.

5k  route a bit unclear and involved leaping over some ditch, and then panicked having to leap back over it later....

5k MT  steaming up a road, only to find the marshall sitting behind a concealed bush, rather than blocking the road that was straight on, that was not the route!

Ahhhh, memories.

That 5k did make me chuckle though. Some kid giving an "interview" to the press saying how he was going to win again this year, in a record time.
    And then his dad telling him he "had it in the bag", after a 400m lap of a grass track, having no idea who I, or any other person there was capable of

That kid didn't even come top 4 that year image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Once in a leading group of three in a mass relay race, we were faced with the official route down an underpass with all the twists, turns and (I suspect) extra distance, or over the top which involved dodging traffic on a four lane dual carriageway.

Out of sight, out of mind. 

I hate underpasses anyway.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Stevie - I like the idea of that type of Bus!

In the only two races I've ever lead in I spent the whole time wondering when some proper runner was going to go past me and ruin it all! 

No chance of an E O'G turning up for race 2 though is there? image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

course not Bus, only MT races for that to happen image

Ric, that set up sounds a little like one of our summer relays. You had to storm it to some massive busy London road, where some marshall was meant to be checking for runners coming, and timing the lights to go green just as you arrived.

Except by the time he'd clocked me, leading my lot, I was about 30metres from him, and the lights take ages to go.

Meaning taking risks that probably weren't worth winning some lowly relay!

Even less worth taking when I arrived at the finish to find none of my lot had bothered to even get there, despite their legs finishing hours back!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Bus, I remember the unmistakable relief of being overtaken at some odd 10k at Stoke Row about 6 years back.

The first half of the course was massively downhill, and you can guess the second half.

One of my hard luck stories in some 1hr 14 half man turned up to win it...in a race with about 100people!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SS - PB course!

Don't like the sound of those rouge unattached runners.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Listen to Dachs Stevie.

He would never ever ever turn up at some local gash just to win prizes image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Oi, I've never won a race with less than 400 runners, you cheeky bastard.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs doesn't need to anymore!

SG - that race 2 of Stevie See's IS an MT, that's why I thought Mr O'G might just turn up for the pot image

All fun on the Team GB thread tonight! Must stop reading and go to bedimage

• January  270.16 miles in  33:35:54 hours at an average pace of 0:07:27.  5 rest days

Long runs 18, 18, 21, 20
    Medium long runs 14, 14, 14, 13, 15

Biggest month ever! 5 miles more than Jan 2012 and 2 seconds a mile faster.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Definitely the PB course Stevie. You seem to be in good shape to nail a time. 

Nice mileage there Phil, I hit 267 in Jan. Your medium long runs are my long runs! 

F off yesterday and just an easy 4 or 5 today with a few strides. 

• HOW MANY MILES? Sheesh! 

Though to be fair on an hourly basis I'm normally hitting 32-40 hrs a month,  so not too dissimilar.

• Good start to the year that Philip! 

247M in January for me, which 'aint too shabby all things considered! Wish I'd realised it was 3 short of 250 a bit earlier though!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many miles I'd be doing for marathon training, as I've just headed Phil off with 274.5 in Jan, just up to halves!

Samir is playing a very odd game on that thread. Mixing up talking himself up, with getting abusive with people.

There was another poster on this forum once who was a bit like that. She calmed down a little when some woman pointed out everyone knew her name, face and where she'd be...and it'd only take one nutter to do something silly!

• Thanks guys, the miles are good but it is the specificity I am happy about. In 2012, I did 4 long runs pretty much the same but my medium runs were 15, 14 and 2x13 so one more medium run but also a bunch at 12 and 11 and the rest are 5 recoveries whereas in 2012 it was a lot more padding at 7 and 8 miles which are neither fish nor fowl as far as marathon goes.

•  

literatin wrote (see)

282.5 miles. image

How much head start do I get then at London?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS - so the 3 fastest guys who replied all said choose trafford for the PB.  trafford is a fast course with lots of fast types in perfect For a PB.  How many 10k courses are better than that that you will run in?  Leeds isn't until nov, milk your good form now.  

Mileage wise only 154m in jan. way behind everyone but I guess that Mara training boosting those numbers so high....either that or I need to put more effort inimage

• Odd parkrun this morning. Yesterday was really wet and I had a case of CNBA so I needed a run today before the XC tomorrow. I wake up early for work all week so can't sleep in late and know that if I start to play footsie with Mrs PMJ before 11am on a Saturday I get an elbow in the face so we have an understanding that a parkrun before she wakes up doesn't count as a weekend run.

The plan was jog down and take it gentle and see what happens. If a first finish is on the cards then don't turn it down, else follow the pace of a local vet lady who has been doing some decent times as LT.

After 100m or so I was out in front with said lady behind me. We went round nicely to halfway where there are some big steps and I took them in one stride and dropped her. A few metres later some young guy flew past and left us both for dead.

So, second overall and a nice time considering there was so much water about I really needed arm-bands to complete the course but frustrated that I put in the effort and got nothing out: he should have had the decency to lead from the start.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think that describes our local parkrun to the core Phil.

You've turned up, cruised it and still easily come 2nd!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sorry all, 354 miles for january...

• Bastard. I was winning that.

• If it makes you feel better Lit I ran 134 miles in January... 

• Dachs wrote (see)

Sorry all, 354 miles for january...

SG, if you do a marathon that will be how many miles you have to run in Jan.

• 225 miles for Jan. A goos solid start. A HM PB, a county XC team gold, a decent run out at the Northern XC.

I did a hill session of 4 x accents up Old Pale hill in the forest, with the jog down as the recovery. Reps were from 5:03 to 5:40. The wind and rain made it a bit grim at times but a good strength workout.

Good mileage Lit! You too Dachs... they crept up on the sly!

Gonna have a poke around that GB thread now image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

If this wind doesnt die down I'll be long running tomorrow instead of racing. dont fancy an hour and 15 mins drive to get a gale in my face.image 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, I was pretty sure Dachs was joking....No?