Barefoot/minimal shoes

I've just ordered some nike free 3s. I know you have to convert slowly to them but how should I do this? Any tips?

Comments

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest, why have you gone for the Nike Free 3s?  And what have you run in up to now?

• I did a lot of reading before hand, all relating to how my foot should strike the ground I.e. never heel strike.  Then it's just a case of running at a slow pace over a short distance and upping the distance or speed a little every couple of days, i started on the treadmill at 6.2mph for 10 minutes, then upped it to 12 minutes the next session, then upped the speed to 6.4mph for 12 minutes, etc.  The thing I noticed was my calves tightened up quite quickly to begin with but found I could go further each run, listen to your calf muscles and your feet.

I went from normal running shoes to New Balance Minimus MR00s, loved them.

• i dont feel that Nike free are  what i would call barefoot/minimal shoes, but perhaps they are more minimal that you are used to?
    if the heel drop is lower than you are used to, it will work your calves more. you need to start with a low mileage on them (1 or 2 miles) and ease up slowly.

• thanks

compared to my normal trainers they are more minimal. 

They arrived today. Love them already!!

• Run in new balance trainers. Also purchased asics gt-1000 this weekend as a more stable shoe. Got them properly fitted/tested. 

I chose nike free 3s as wanted to start running with more minimal shoes and this is the lightest in their range. Friends have them and highly recommend them. 

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

I went from Nike Lunarglide+ 4s to Nike Free 3s...  I experimented with short distances that I'd be able to run 4 times a week, at an easy pace, without my calfs feeling too trashed...  I focused on trying to achieve 180 steps per minute and keeping a straight back...  The increase in strike rate meant my stride shortened and I quite naturally adopted a forefoot strike...  My feet now feel like they're moving up and down more now rather than swinging backwards and forwards...  I've increase the distance by 10% each week since I started...  After the first couple of weeks I re-introduced a tempo session and then intervals, until I could run far enough to make it worth doing an LSD run.

I enjoyed the Nike Free 3s but after about 120 miles my right toe started to poke through the upper...  I've now got some New Balance MR10s, which I prefer as there is more space in the toe box.

I hope this helps...  Let us know how you get on image

• I became sick of unfriendly customer service of sales assistants telling me what shoes to buy. I now buy barefoot/minimalist shoes online or from discount stores at bargain prices. Now I get to buy two or three pairs for the price of one bulky over protective high heeled  trainer shoes.

• RoadWarrior wrote (see)

I became sick of unfriendly customer service of sales assistants telling me what shoes to buy. I now buy barefoot/minimalist shoes online or from discount stores at bargain prices. Now I get to buy two or three pairs for the price of one bulky over protective high heeled  trainer shoes.

Perhaps you can share where you are getting these (in-fashion) minimal shoes for a third of the price of (unfashionable) technical running shoes?  I am finding the opposite - as everyone jumps on the minimal bandwagon, the price for what are effectively racing flats goes over £80, whilst support shoes can be had for clearance prices.  Thanks