Sub 3

Comments

• Nice distance PP and CW. CW, sometimes running with a little cold/sniffle helps get it of your system, although keep an eye on HR as it's dangerous to run when the body trying to fight a virus.

20 miles on the toe this morning. It seemed to settle down although keeping an eye on it for the next couple of days. 2hr32 for the run, the first half was on the brisk side with a few waifs and strays from London Heathside who aren't at Watford. Then I turned off with one of the guys for the long uphill ride home at a relaxed pace.

Anyone here going for the win at Watford?
  • Nice long running guys.

22 for me this morning taking in all the central London attractions and parks. Felt very easy and comfortable throughout the run, thought it might be a little quick at 7.12 average pace, but didnt feel like I was pushing it at any point.

• Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

That was wet - several long stretches of shin-deep water ... same route as last week when it was fine, but wet fields had become lakes, sometimes encompassing the road! 

Well I bagged my first 20 miler since April but it wasn't pretty - supposed to be 7:45 pace, which first nine were, next eight at 8:15 and last three at 8:55. Slightly sore TFL didn't help but knees held out and glad to have it under my belt.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

well done to the long run runners

I was achy rather than shivery when I woke up, so popped a couple of Paracetamol and headed out for 4or 5M, I felt ok so turned round at 7M, which gacve me 14 when I got home, I tagged on 2M more, and then promised myself my emergency bottle of luco from the garage if I tagged on some more, I tagged on 4M  more, but it was another death march and I've never fancied having a little walk so much in a run.

so another long run bagged, luckily I dont have one next week. This campaign is becoming a chore, VLM had best be good, I cant see myself doing this again this time next year.

• A bit low on the old mojo, TR?  We all have that kind of a run from time to time, it'll be more fun in April.

Don't worry about the pace Piman, the first long one is never pretty.

22 from me this morning, around the housing estates and parks of Epsom.  Nice and easy, steady pace around the 7 min mark until the last run back up the hill to the racecourse

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭

Looks like there were a lot of Sunday long runs going on on Saturday this time around. Well done to Bedders, HR and also Bunny. x-post - and you as well CD for being one of the most consistent on here.

TR - Kudos for that run. Some menthol games there and I hope that luco tasted good. Sometimes I wonder if things aren't always going to plan on a long run esp if you are run down it's not best to jack it in and save for another day.  This is definitely my last proper go at VLM.

Did similar to JI's run last week. Steady 8m and 3x3m at mp with 1m between and a few c/d.  I chose a 4m loop inc 2 hills for the reps and fecking ell was that hard, 1st mile ok then next 2 were into the wind on each of the reps and my ribs were hurting more today affecting any deep breathing as hr wasn't that high. The 3m efforts ended up finishing uphill too so I guess I was calling it mara effort by then.  3m efforts averaged 6.16, 6.19 and 6.25. Last mile of last rep was 6.49 so had given up by then due to wind and ribs. 1m to finish made 20m at 6.49avg.  Just taken some more ibuprofen as ribs hurt when lying down and strangely enough pain goes into my back. Hoping to get over this for Chichester 10k next Sun.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CD - I guess so, it was all about ticking a box today I suppose. Might be a novelty to struggle in the training rather than the race.

JH1 - good work on that run. Good point re Chichrster as you'll need to find out if yoan can push your lungs hard by then. Also a good point that some days it might be wiser to sack it, some of my tiredness was probably due to not eating enough last night when I didnt feel great, some of it was tiredness from the turbo and some from just feeling shit. But having had no long run when I did Stubby and no long run next weekend then I needed todays or it woul have been only one long run in 4 weekends. Sucking it up and getting it done is all well and good, but if its happening too often then you start wonder if you should be doing something else with the time.

• First 20 ( 20.44 ) under the belt for me this morning in 2:37 & got my warm up races sorted ( Tunbridge Wells & Cranleigh )

Anyone know of any good core workouts I can focus specifically on the hips / groin ?

Or any good general core workouts for Marathon Runners that are running half decent Marathon times as opposed to big Dave with the dodgy knee's & fat smiley Sue *

* No offence to big Dave with the dodgy knee's & fat smiley Sue.

• Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Just popping in for a quick catch up - some fantastic long runs going on.  Really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out in a few months.

I've been pretty glum still - haven't run at all since last Saturday.  The iliosacral joint upslip led to some nasty inflammation in my right glute and piriformis.  I've been patiently waiting for it to get better as I really want to be sensible and not risk making things worse but it's taking an absolute age.  And I haven't been able to swim this week either due to a kitchen knife accident last weekend.  That's finally cleared up so managed a sibling 2km yesterday and 2.5km today but feel rather sluggish.  I fear I might not be able to run for another week or so as it's still pretty painful just walking.  

Trying to console myself with the thought that I can't lose too much fitness in a fortnight of non-running, though Wokingham next weekend will probably be canned.  Depending on how quickly I get back into it, I'm mildly toying with ideas of joining TT in Edinburgh (I have a free entry) and just using VLM as a training run, a la Al_P in New Forest.  We'll see though.  

Massively annoying when the weather makes it look so nice for running...

Any idea how bufo got on yesterday?

• Great Long runs from BP, postie, TJB, AW, PM, C Dave, TR, JH (nice MP and hills) ST

Thanks BP and HR I know I'm overthinking it and would definitely take this position if you'd given it to me 2 months ago.

sorry Lev that is a real bugger...hopefully not much longer and as you say won't lose too much fitness if you can get back into it soon..the knife sounds nasty too

Well soldiered on CW good LR when ill make sure you don't overdo it

LR for me too 21 miles today 2hr24 mins (6.52 mm) was hoping to do some MP stuff but wind on way back was at least 20 mph so just kept it easy

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

"just kept it easy at 6:52"!! nice one DrD...

• Stephen. I have been doing this on and off for a while- if you have access to a gym I recommend it. http://www.lesmills.com/cx30/about-cxworx.aspx

Done properly it is nothing short of brutal, but in my experience it is very instructor- dependent.  I was shocked when I started and realized what poor shape I was in. The one I go to has a small group of regulars, and a whole cast of characters who appear once and never return. 

• Hoping the injury clears up for you soon Lev, we're back to gales and storms this week so the nice weather this weekend appears to be coming to an end!

More top long runs being reported, well toughed out TR, I sometimes think those ones where we struggle help us more than the ones which are nice and easy, but not much fun.

• Ha, Dr D does his easy LSR at my hoped for PB marathon pace. I am so slow compared to some of you on here! 20 for me today at just under 8 min miling (see!). 320 miles for January. 

• 16M @ 8.17m/m to bring up 60 miles for the week: first time I've done 60 mpw since before Frankfurt!

Sorry to hear you are still suffering with injury, Lev: hope things improve soon.

Very impressed with the speed of the 20(+) milers on the thread today.  As Speedy says: faster than marathon pb pace for some of us!

• Lots of great running from everyone as always, just back from Scotland for BUCS xc, been fairly busy past week so haven't had much chance to get on here. Race was alright but didn't go particularly well, just seemed to be finding it hard to really push it throughout - came 73nd in 37:55 but top 50 should have been doable with a good run. Just missed out on the medals as team as well coming 5th 8 points off 3rd.

Was a really nice and tough 6.6 mile xc course with good mix of terrain and some interesting off camber bits, though start was pretty narrow with a few obstacles (a golf bunker and some small trees)100m up the course making it a bit of a stampede and quite a few people going down - had to go out fast (first mile 5:10... averaged 5:45 overall)

Cold and a calf niggle at the start of the week so lowest mileage for a long time with the taper, seem to be over all that so now into just marathon training.

• Some really good long runs this weekend, well done.

A bit of a pathetic hilly 16 miles for me today I'm afraid at a pitiful 7.30 m/m.

The consolation is that it took me to 77 miles  - my highest mileage week of the campaign so far.

• Quickly nipping on before nipping out.

A.W. great re. the 22 after the fartlek session: great pace

And great LSR's too from Bunny (21m), Padams, TR (well battled and I know that wtf feeling), Postie postie with some nice quick final miles, CD 'easy at 7mm!!!', JH1 shifting some there, Stephen T, DrD another burning it up: wow!, Joolska coming back to it, Luke S likewise. Apologies to anyone else I've missed.

PiMan hope injury clears

Stephen: I keep trying to do more core. I'm on 30 x 2 pressups a day but ought to do other things like plank / situps and there's a good hip flexor stretch. You've spurred me to keep them up. Going to look at that link from OS.

Lev_ really hope you get better soon from that. Such a grim one to get. Are Wokingham entries transferable by the way? Just wondering!

Well done Bufo even if not quite what you wanted it sill sounds like a good outing. Marathon next then!

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Some more very nice long runs I see. CC2 - sub 8m/m is fine for sub 3.

Lev - sounds very annoying, hpope it improves soon.

A bit of a silly ride yesterday. We did a local "relability ride" (a bit like a sportive, but less supported, basically they give you a route to follow). The route was a bit ridiculous with loads of narrow, gravelly, potholed country lanes. The result was 5 punctures in our group plus some other mechanical issues. That, combined with the hilly, twisty etc. route, meant that we were out for 6 hours for a 77M ride! 4:25 of actual cycling.

Was stuggling a bit towards the end, probably not helped by lack of food (one cereal bar and one gel), but I wasn't expecting to be out for quite that long!

• Padams - That's the problem with some of those old reliability rides and audaxes - they've run for years on the same route and the roads have deteriorated so much over time.  On the plus side, they're so much cheaper than sportives.  Some of those are just milking it.

Lev - hope that sorts out.  Kitchen knife incident?  Not good either!

• Good running Bufo.  I've yet to do a xc race but from what I understand 37:55 is shifting for 6.6m.

All the best with the recover Lev, sounds like you're doing the right thing with not pushing it.

Did 80.23 at the Watford half yesterday.  Not kidding when they say undulating are they Padams?  Kind of pleased with it considering I did 18miles three days before and 5k races on the following two days.  Still would have like to have found a bit more to go under the 80mins. 

• 265 for Jan. 18M yesterday and seems like sciatic isssues again coming back.  Muscles spasms a plenty and it was like running with the hand brake on.  Had absolutely nothing and blowing harder than Divine Brown through Hugh Grant’s car window.  Averaged around 7’s.  Stiff today but hopefully should allow me a good weeks training and hopeful of around 1.15 for Wokingham on Sunday. #baldisbest

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Sweedo - yes, it is a bit undulating, although I've found in the past that actually you can run a decent time there (2nd half is much easier). But still a minute or two slower than a fast one, and you can probably knock off another minute or two for your LR and 5ks in the preceding days. So I'm awarding you a high 77:xx - I'm afraid it doesn't count for PB purposes though!

CD - yes, and it seemed as if they'd made the route to take in the steepest hills they could find even if the roads were terrible. There was one (short) climb which apparently hit 25% - my speedo read under 5mph at one point!

So we've know had a kitchen knife injury and an axe injury in the last couple of weeks! Clearly being shot in the calf is the most impressive yet, but I'm hoping we don't get any involving a chainsaw, concentrated sulphuric acid or similar.

• Sounds like you're lurgied too TR? My 20M was a bit of a death-march towards the end too. I hasten to add (DrD) that I'm only running slowly to keep the cardiovascular load low while I'm a bit ill, mindful of those Swedish orienteers who copped it from heart failure years back when they trained hard through some kind of viral infection.

bufo -- I'm sure that was a classy result if not quite what you wanted, and it can't have helped you to have a cold either.

Bad luck with the glute/piriformis Lev_, keep going with the tennis ball and stretches. If you start to get aches and pains down the affected leg from sciatic nerve trouble, I also go for plenty of cod liver oil etc just in case it helps the nerve repairs. Also I started taking supplementary magnesium to encourage muscle relaxation in that very area, which might have helped (might have cleared up coincidentally though). Related troub for you it seems JI.

Well raced Sweedo!

That was a long day Padams. I did once purloin some conc. sulphuric acid to clean a really badly crusted toilet, but chose to walk home rather than cycle that day just in case I came acropper...

A slow plod to work to me feeling a bit under the weather, but actually I feel better right now. Maybe I had too much medicinal red wine last night...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - I'm not liking the sound of what you must be depositing down your toliet, you need some more fibre in your diet !

Properly lurgified now, snotting and coughing up chunks. Sense of homour failure with it as I was supposed to be doing a bit of catch up on the training as I have a bit more time this week. Good job I bagged the 20M y'day.

• TR -- ha ha, I'd not worried about the magnesium relaxing *that* muscle nearby! (No lack of fibre though, I've got a prune & fig addiction...) As you say, good one that you bagged the 20M before really going down with it -- might explain why it felt so tough. (My MLR last week was rubbish, the day before I became sure I was lurgied.)

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CW - I felt rubbish Saturday evening and Sunday morning, I only went out for the run as I missed a long run 2 weeks ago and am missing next weekends.  

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CW, TR - Get well vibes to both of you

Padams - Sounds like a slow day in the saddle or standing whilst punctures are mended. At least the weather was decent.

Ribs feel worse now than last week but still running (in pain). Managed to get a Doc appointment tomorrow to see if it's only bruised or something more.
  • I tried seeing a doc about ribs after a fall, JH: he told me it wasn't even worth an x-ray because even if they were broken the treatment would be the same, painkillers & time.  It takes a few weeks to get over completely.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

No training last night as stuck at work, so on the turbo straight out of bed this morning. My legs didn't appreciate that - the first 8 min effort I was struggling to hold 300W, the next 2 were at 310W feeling a bit easier, and the last one felt fine at 325W!

Hope the niggles/lurgies are improving.