Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

They need to do a lot of things for next year Bus, but mustn't grumble...

some middle aged woman on fb told me off, saying it doesn't really matter. I agreed, and said it's not like we put any effort into all this.
    (think she missed the irony)

• Dachs wrote (see)

Good XCing fellas. SG, shame you were caught out by the course, but sounds like it meant a couple of extra points for my club, so maybe not.

Stevie G wrote (see)

Datchet having won the series, showed how cynical they've become these days by not sending any of their top 8 or so runners, and a few of the other top boys weren't there either.

I don't see it as cynical. The event rules are there for all to see and you throw away your worst score. As far as the league was concerned the places were pretty much sorted out. Only change I can see is that Sheen Shufflers overtook TVT and that is really only down to Sheen starting with two 11th places and then having to chip away at a lead.

What may be cynical may be buried in the history of the rule book. Some clubs ban their runners from their own event so you organise one and race the others. Handy Cross do this.

• Night of the 10,000m PBs entries are open.

http://england.athletics-uk.org/entryforms/highgate_welcome.asp

Looks like limited entries with fast slots open first. Bit sexist if you ask me, 32 minutes for men and 37 for women.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

great weekend running and racing chaps and chapettes. Pls take care though Nikki (& Bus but he's got cloth ears) - a few days off to let the injury/niggles settle might be a good idea in the long run.

75 mins for me yesterday so first run in double figures since November last year. Plan is to build up to 90mins this weekend at Wokingham so, unless Baby Johnas drops this week (due Thursday), I'll see you all there.

Talking of RW, there's an article in this month's edition with my coaching mentor and good friend Sarah Russell. Doesn't quite do her and all her achievements justice but nice to see her getting some recognistion.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

One of the old hands actually pointed out in the original rule book, that if one team were especially strong, they should split their squad into 2...

Could you imagine Datchet doing that! image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ah, I was considering the 10,000 event, but I thought it was later in the year.  Mid May is too soon after VLM for track 10,000s for me.  Maybe next year.

• That 10'000m looks cracking. Gutted I don't make the qualifying time. Would love to do something like that.

No progress on inj. 6.4m slow and sore. Tomorrow's session canned. Stupid bloody fall!

• Dachs wrote (see)

Ah, I was considering the 10,000 event, but I thought it was later in the year.  Mid May is too soon after VLM for track 10,000s for me.  Maybe next year.

If you have never run a track 10,000 it is worth doing a few to get used to them.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Samir's already in for the sub 30 race.

He hasn't hit that pace yet, but wrote a letter to the organisers saying he hopes to soon.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

He hasn't hit that pace yet, but wrote a letter to the organisers saying he hopes to soon.

Stevie G wrote (see)

Yes he has. On a training run. But it rained. 

There is something odd about the latest XC results. Was the bunching or singletrack soo tight as to cause that many problems? There are people finishing way higher than they should and others a lot lower. 

Back at work today. 3rd lot of antibiotics from Dr. Prescriptions get pricey when you add them all up. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if you set off too slow, the single file track was about 1/2mile in, so you could see a lot of time disappear.

But then, if you start that slow it's your own fault!

• IronCat5 wrote (see)

There is something odd about the latest XC results. Was the bunching or singletrack soo tight as to cause that many problems? There are people finishing way higher than they should and others a lot lower. 

Any names in particular? There were a half dozen Datchet missing so people moved up by 6 but also it was very tight very soon.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

You are kidding SG? He's going to get his arse handed to him with a sub 30 race. He'll literally have the best lads in the country lining up with him.

Nice XC (trail? image) race at the weekend. Funny turn about the dodgy distance! But regardless a good run from SG and Phil.

Johnas, good to hear your back to running over an hour. Getting back into double figures!

Managed a 12.8 mile run on Sun, legs were battered from the hills on Saturday. An easy 8 tonight to follow up. 4 x 1KM @ 3K pace tomorrow.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Good racing at the weekend SG and Philip. I hate it when you get a short course and have too much left in the tank. Is that your XC season over now?

Must feel good to be back Johnas, You just going to cruise round Wokingham?

No running for me at the moment, still got a nasty foot which just refuses to heal. Will still race XC at the weekend for the club though. You going to run Dean?, although maybe a tad far from Stoke.

Shame about the DNS at the weekend Matt, you'll get plenty more chances though.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

seb - I have been ill since Thursday and not eating for a couple of days.  if I get back to normal by Thursday I will go to Cheltenham.  we are in the hunt for 4th overall which is no mean feat considering the standard!

good to see you back amongst the mileage johnas, wont be long now before you are back.

matt - sounds like alsager was tough - some slow times out there considering the usual level. you were right to avoid.

sounds like a good race Philip.  nice to be in a comfortable place at the end knowing you have enough space to hold of anyone getting excited.

SS - you got to go with the flow with Samir. a lot of people think they are playing with him but the truth is he is playing with them. he throws out so many lines that he always gets a nibble.  he is on the wind up most of the time.  Dachs is one who plays him perfectly...Samir never knows how to take him image

get well quickly Iron

• .Seb wrote (see)

Good racing at the weekend SG and Philip. I hate it when you get a short course and have too much left in the tank. Is that your XC season over now?

I think the winning team (that must be usimage ) have a national final but we can;t seem to find any details anywhere.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

In fairness, I was breathing like someone who had never run before from the off (not sure what that was about), so may well have not overtaken the 3 in front, but I'd have liked a decent shot at trying!

Ah the "national final"...hahahahahahahahhahaha is all i'll say.

Enjoy though image

• I'll have to learn to sit on my hands a bit more on the GB thread. I still think he's a plonker though.

Dean, I hear Alsager was measured long again! The winner hitting a nice sub 24 pace all the way, caught out by the long last mile. I've never enjoyed it to be honest, glad I stayed away. The Chester Spring 5 is the best 5 miler around, and as you know, Sale is quick too. You doing the Nationals? I'm not... I need a break from 50min long battles with the best of the British winter.Will enter Trafford on payday, looking forward to that!

Currently awaiting my new Nikes, mine have covered 492 miles and offer as much protection as those dodgy little PE pumps we had at primary school! Feet are killing!

• Shall I write to the organisers too?!image haha, I'm just kidding.

Oh Stevie I too am just awaiting a new shoe arrival. Gone back to asics nimbus after a stint with Nike lunar eclipse. Liked the eclipse but they are not great in the wet/mud. Also never had so many niggles but imagine that is more to do with training than shoes!!

Knee felt marginally better this morning and managed to get on the track for 8x800m off 60s. Paces started about 3:16 but dropped to 3:03 by the end. Not very consistent but on the whole happy enough with the sessions re: better than I thought it would be (knee) And I've never done more than 5 x800m before.

Made the decision to increase my energy intake again from yesterday. This time last year was on
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS - alsager is a major 5m race always attracting a fast crowd, a pain in the harris if they measure long consistantly. im down to do the nationals but i will make a call nearer the time.  i didnt know it was 12k when i entered.  that sounds a long way in the mud for someone who doesnt like mud.

im all about the track this yr so all focus on that so im not racing wilmslow.  might get involved in a few 5m / 5k in the spring in build up though.  When is chester?  is that the hilly-ish one that Rob and chingo ran a few yrs back?

• Dean Spring 5 is in April it isn't really hilly at all it has a telling rise at about 2.5 miles for about 200/300m and that's it other than a few undulations but nice downhill stretch 2nd mile image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The problem with officially measured courses is that they are always long. Garmins make the increase appear even greater. 

Its a pain in the arse to see the watch bleeping 5:45's and get the official race time which says actually you averaged 5:50's.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS / Rob - april sounds a good time to do a 5m.  will probably run it.  does it sell out early?

• 15 MLR for me today. Did the same route I did a week ago with a cold and unsurprisingly I was 5 minutes faster, so 7:17 average compared to 7:37 average and the 11 miles from 4 to 14 done at 7:09 pace compared with 7:32 last week.

Now need to try and ease back a bit to give me a chance at Wokingham Half this Sunday. 25 miles done and 26 over the next 3 days, then Saturday off and race Sunday. Need to keep Thursday's 13 miler super easy.

SG, Abingdon entries are open ... you know you want to.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was just kidding on Samir... after all it's a "Proven" time needed, rather than his, oh i'll be around that time by then style for Reading.

Phil, that national final is anything but.  about 3hours away, bootleg place with no facilities, barley any rival teams, and apparently just pure pony. Our lot did it once and never bothered again. Good luck getting the Datchet team out! You can barely get them all out for a race 20mins away!

I think the only benefit of doing a marathon is that you can juust claim every race you do in the lead up is some kind of tempo image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nikki G wrote (see)

Made the decision to increase my energy intake again from yesterday. This time last year was on

Cut off mid sentence? Or..womanly type things....image

3.03s sound fairly tasty

• Dean it's on a Wednesday night usually and doesn't often sell out!!

• Stevie G wrote (see)
    Nikki G wrote (see)

Cut off mid sentence? Or..womanly type things....image

3.03s sound fairly tasty

I hadn't even noticed! Thanks SG image I shall continue!

This time last year was on

• Happened again! How odd?!

This time last year I was on less than 1000kcal/day and have slowly increased it to 2200/day now. But I'm still quite tired a lot of the time... and probably hungry. So have decided (big decision for an over-analyser like me! haha) to increase it to 2400/day and see if that makes the difference/I don't get chubs..

• Less than 1000kcal per day?! But weren't you training for a marathon then too? I think I eat that much in flapjacks alone at the moment on top of my normal food.