partial medial meniscectomy

Has anyone experience of running after a partial medial meniscectomy.

I am 51 years old and would like to run for a few more years yet. I would like to try6 and get back to running half marathons again if possible. How long does it take before you can run again and is it realistic to think of running a couple of times a week k   up to half marathon distance. Having had the op last week is it reasonable to think of running a half in the autumn.

I would appreciate anyones  experience

Comments

• I was in a similar position a couple of years ago having torn medial meniscus in both knees needing surgery each time. The operations were 6 months apart. My experience is that it took towards a year for each knee to fully recover. The surgeon, will at the follow up visit, let you know the general condition of the knee and if you should continue to run or not. 

My knees are not what they were and I do need to be careful. I do run 3 or 4 times per week.  I do get some aches the more miles I run, but I manage it. Following surgery I've completed my first marathon, but the miles in training were a struggle. 

I found that cycling really helps as did exercises from the physio.  Despite all the years I had run, my legs were not a strong as they should have been. I make sure I include regular strength exercises at least 3 times per week, especially the muscles that support the knees.

i recommend not setting any targets just yet, after all you can't be sure how much time your body will need. Take it a week at a time, listen to your knees, work on building strength and enjoy running. With care and time a half should be possible. 

• thanks for your comments my surgeons initial view after the op and I mean straight after the op was I should s view be able to do some running however prior to the op she said I should forget marathon training. 

I was thinking of getting an exercise bike and doing most training on this rather than running. As a long term runner it is difficult not to set targets. I mainly just want to be able to enjoy running and want to get back to the primary school running club I run.

so thanks for your time and thoughts and I guess I will just have to take it carefully  

• Your very welcome. 

At times it was a tough journey. At one point I really thought I'd overdone it just following the marathon. For a little while I was convinced I'd done more cartilage damage. I needed to take a break of around 6 weeks after which time, and virtually overnight, my knee pain vanished. 

I think I'd hugely underestimated the time necessary for a full recovery and only a year  down the line was I able to see how long the recovery process really needed. 

Good luck and go easy on yourself. 

• <div>mak361</div><div>
    </div><div>5 months post partial medial menisectomy ....doing everything I am told wrt strengthening building running up gradually on treadmill ....running twice a week and built up to 5 miles over 2 months and starting to add some road miles in .....knee feels quite good on run but the days after I'm getting a real discomfort and tightness ...what are peoples experience here is this normal will it go away road miles in particular generate a big discomfort feeling </div><div>Can anyone reassure me this is normal 😬</div>