Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• The taking of gels or energy drinks during long training runs has a negative effect on the intended target of the run. If your legs feel heavy or tired this is what the long training run is intended to cause.

Myself I had dental sugery yesterday. The sixth tooth was extracted, the bone corrected and the wound stitched. Today my face is a bit swollen. Difficult situation.

Keep on, Franz
  • 20 miles done and dusted 10:10 min mile pace , took 2 gels with me,I used them but to be honest didn't notice any noticeable affect....there is such conflicting advice on gel taking to be honest sometimes I think they are a con to get us to buy into something to make others money...when I think maybe a mars bar may do just as well or jelly babies or Kendal mint cake that I know someone has and swears by ...

• Did the dreaded 20 miler in nasty wind 2:39 . Too windy for me
  • 20 miles for me tomorrow. Longest run yet. Hopefully better weather than last week!

• Wenty,20 miles in 2:29!!!  oh that's speeds I wish I could achieve, I was out an hour longer than you image well 55 mins !!!  And I hate the wind too,lucky for me I was out at 7:30 so it was only in the last 2 miles that the wind here got noticeable that it took my breath away crossing a bridge,but I wouldn't have enjoyed it if I'd gone out later...I've surprised myself this year at my determination to be out at 7:30 on a Sat morning so at least I have the majority of the day left to do other things,like sleep in the afternoon !!! 

Ann enjoy your run...

Toby,poohbear and snowmaiden hope your run went well 

• Just 14mi today, terrible winter conditions. Rain was falling to the frozen ground and was turning into ice immediately. Very difficult but should be getting better after a few days.

Take care, Franz
  • Hi yvonne 2, 10:10min pace for the long easy run is not bad either, congratulation!

No wonder that you feel no effect from the gels. At 20 mi your body has still enogh carbs in stock. At the long easy run you should force your body to eat up that stock and burn fat instead. This improves your chance not hitting the wall in Brighton.

Therefore, no carbs before and during the long easy run! After the run take immediately proteine for cell repair and carbs for recovery.

Keep on, Franz
  • Bit behind you guys in my training. My LSR was 11 miles today, but I struggled and had a couple of walks included. Add to that 2 purple big toes and it males for an unimpressive day image

• Well the 20 miles went Ok some lessons learned but will let Poohbear give you all the details

• 20 miles done yesterday in the dry (mainly) for a change.  Took rather longer than we had anticipated as had to include plenty of comfort breaks, but even so average pace overall was better than first 20 miler done last year.

Havent been using gels this year, but eating bits of Kendal mint cake every 4 miles which was sustaining me and Snowmaiden until about mile 18, when Snowmaiden began to feel a bit off so stopped for a sandwich for Snowmaiden and crisps for me and Toby which then got us through the last 2 miles.  I must say I find I crave salt after about 2.5 hrs dont know whether this is normal or not, but sucking my fingers helps as they taste salty by then.  May have to think about taking something salty with me in my waist bag to eat when I start to feel I need salt.

I was speaking to someone at a running club that I am thinking of joining and they were saying that they have never got on with gels, but find that bits of flapjack work just as well to give them energy on their long runs and kendal mint cake is also good as it is natural, so I have been doing something right.

Well done on all the long runs going on.  You are all a lot faster than me, but the end result is still the same, we will all cross the finish line at Brighton having done the training necessary and get our medals.

• Well done on your long run poohbear,snowmaiden and toby...poohbear I crave salt to,and often find myself eating salted crisps in the week or olives....I think it's all that sugar to keep us going,and sweating out salt ,is the reason why....

Franz,I try not to take gels on any run except when I am racing,and trying to achieve a pb,but only then in a half marathon... like I said on an earlier post there is so much conflicting advice on what fuelling strategy to go with on race day...certainly don't try anything new ......but the high 5 isogels don't upset my stomach but at the same time don't seem to do much,but like you say your body has enough fuel till then ....

• I'm on catch up a little bit after a week off injured.

I managed 15 miles (8 min pace) yesterday taking me up to 43 miles for the week.

52 miles planned this week including 18 next Sunday.

Big push on the mileage in February. I'm sure I'll hate running come March 1st.

• yvonne 2 wrote (see)

Wenty,20 miles in 2:29!!!  oh that's speeds I wish I could achieve, I was out an hour longer than you image well 55 mins !!!  And I hate the wind too,lucky for me I was out at 7:30 so it was only in the last 2 miles that the wind here got noticeable that it took my breath away crossing a bridge

I think you were quite lucky as at about 10am it was really blowing quite hard - on my return leg against the wind as well - timed that wrong. I guess it will reap reward in my next long one though,

Gaz - Dont push too hard on mileage as you cant make up for lost runs!

• There have been no takers for the plantar fasciitis so I'll have to keep it for myself image

My podiatrist was quite optimistic today that I'll be running again in a week or two.  

Just as long as I recover enough to get to the start line on 6th April (won't be difficult as I'm booked into the hotel next to the start line!) and then I can knacker myself completing the marathon and have a year to recover image

Some great running going on here.  Well done.

• Well 10 miles for me yesterday Snowmaiden down for the week so i dragged her out the door as well to keep me company

• Wenty wrote (see)
    Gaz - Dont push too hard on mileage as you cant make up for lost runs!

I won't mate. I only lost a week really anyway, but still working my way up to 20 miles. Two years yesterday, I ran 20 miles. Always remember feeling really chuffed with myself and wanting to tell my Dad. The next day my Dad died and I never did tell him image

• Gaz - Thats really sad....image

I know what you mean I bought my Dad a birthday card and present and he never got it as he died on his birthday!

I remember a couple of years ago when I first ran 20 miles and it seemed a magical distance.

• You seem to be going really well Wenty. Do you have a target time for the marathon yet? 

• Gaz ,thinking of you.......and your dad would of been proud of your 20 miles.....go run them again cos he will be with you every step of the way x 

Wenty hugs for you too ....

I still have my dad,but he has Parkinson's hence why I'm running both brighton and London to raise money for said charity ...

• 20 miles in 2:29... Thats impressive! Managed a 16 miler in 3 hours on Sunday but my legs are feeling it still today, very heavy not sure the 6 miler tonight is going to go very well

• Yvonne, thats something to spur you on for Brighton and London, My dad died of Cancer so normally ran for cancer charities.

Philomena, I was hoping for a sub 3 in Brighton or London, but not quite there yet so see how the training goes... I think i will be somewhere between 2:58 and 3:08. Depends on so much over the next 2 months and race days

• Afternoon all

just 8 miles for me today then a step back in mileage Friday with just 14 we do have the Longleat 10k on Sunday it will be interesting to see how much Snowmaiden improved as the last  time she ran a 10k back in2009 she took 1:41:30 her best time over that distant on a training run so far is 1:13:55 which is the time she’s hoping to beat

• Soph86 - Dont worry about how well the 6 miler goes - its only a recovery run so run it as slow as you like and save yourself for your other sessions - you cant beat yourself up every run! I dont think it really matters if you only do 4 or 5 miles. Its the long ones and a mid week run or 2 that need most effort.

16 miles good going at this stage with 2.5 months to go

• As I always make the wrong decision I have registered as a volunteer image

I have a three night stay in the Travelodge overlooking the start so I might as well make use of it and as I'm there I'll put myself to good use.

So that kind of guarantees I'll be running image

Which is nice.

Good luck everyone with all those long runs this week.

• well done GF.  Same Travelodge as me, no doubt!

I got 10 miles in tonight, in the most horrendous weather over here in Wales. Wild wind and rain - even a bit concerned running near trees at times...  but pretty rewarding.  I just told myself that the wind could be gusting in from the sea in Brighton... and who know how much rain will be driven by it!   If it's a nice day, then it's a bonus.

• Yesterday a difficult 1 hour marathon pace run at 131bpm. Difficult because it has extremely icy roads and I slipped and crashed into the ground one time. The result is a swollen right knee.

I will take it easy today with 30min recovery run plus core and stability.

Keep on, Franz
  • Wenty wrote (see)

Gaz - Thats really sad....image

I know what you mean I bought my Dad a birthday card and present and he never got it as he died on his birthday!

I remember a couple of years ago when I first ran 20 miles and it seemed a magical distance.

Sorry to read that Wenty, and feel for you too Yvonne.

Onwards and upwards with the training, there's still a long long way to go before April 6th.

• Hard 14 miler completed yesterday - 10 miles at 6:50 min/miles and 4 miles at 7:30 pace. (98 mins in total)

Probably hardest run to date for me.

Carefull Franz - yo uare supposed to be running not Ice skating.. (Hope the knee gets better).

Soph86 - how did the 6 miler go?

• Nothing for me today, toes are still too sore. Thought it best not to push it and to save myself for a little 4 miler tomorrow and a 13 mile lsr at the weekend. Damaged my toe nails before, but haven't felt as sore as this before. Maybe because it appears to be bruising rather than blood ? Mind you, they will still eventually drop off ....image

• Skiipy - They dont always fall off - Only had that once and it never fell off - just grew out... Take it easy LSR most important run of the week!