Waterproof Running Jacket

Hi,

I've been looking for a waterproof (not water resistant) running jacket for my Marathon winter training. I've come across the Nike Storm Fly Running Jacket which seems to be a real bargain at £39 on SportsShoes - Lady Storm Fly Running Jacket . Is it up to the job?

Thanks,

Liz

Comments

• Problem with waterproof jackets is they have a habit of being heavy and as good at keeping the sweat in as the rain out, so make you very hot and prone to overheating.

In rain i go for less clothing but make sure that i will be warm.

• agree with flat footed, you are better off with something that is windproof, as you will be wet, either with rain or sweat, and you need to keep warm, something that stops the wind chilling you is better

also - I have found different makes have very different fittings, for example, when I tried on some adidas stuff there really wasn't room for my boobs in there, though nike I havev always found to be a better fit, but depends on the shape of your body

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I agree with FF and mathschick - waterproof clothing will only make you sweat more.  What you wear underneath will be soaked, and you may over-heat (and cause chafing) 

I don't tend to bother with any kind of jacket, but something like a headband or buff can be useful to keep water out of your eyes.

• I just stick to a Montane Litespeed windproof. As others mention you just end up wet with sweat in a waterproof. My concessions to rain are a Lowe Alpine goretex baseball cap to keep my head dry and therefore warm and also to keep the rain off my glasses. The other thing I use is a buff around my neck as this stops a lot of the rain running down my neck, this seems to be where most water gets in.

Or just embrace the rain and feel virtuous.

• I had a Goretex running jacket it was superb & it was completely waterproof & also let heat out, as it's supposed to. Unfortunately it was stolen by some cretin & I couldn't afford to replace it, I bought a cheaper 'water resistant' jacket & it's naff in comparison, if it's not freezing cold I boil up. Someday I will get another Goretex jacket, they're worth the extra!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Im one for just getting wet too... My montane jacket was supposed to keep me dry on the inside but I find the sweat gets me just as wet as the rain would! Just one of those things we have to accept living in the UK. 2012 was the third wettest year on record apparently.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

If you want a waterproof garment for running in, I suggest you consider a gilet. The same applies about sweating and breathability but at least your trunk will be warm while wet. The trouble with waterproof jackets is that the sleeves also get wet inside and they make your arms wet but also cold and clammy.

• Liz, I have the same jacket as shown on the link in your post. Personally I am more than happy with it and feel that it keeps the worst of the wind/rain etc off whilst not making me feel too hot and sweaty. 

I do prefer to wear a jacket to train in during the winter because I do feel the cold quite easily!   

• You can get some lightweight waterproof jackets but not from Nike, Puma or Adidas. My Rab Demand smock is Event, taped seams and comes in at less than 300g. Mountain Marathon use there own proprietary fabric, Berghaus and Mountain Equipment also do amazing running specific jackets using goretex active-somethingorother.

If you invest in a good quality jacket you really shouldn't feel like your boiling in a bag.
  • I've got the Nike jacket you've linked to - I only wear it on very, very wet days and have found it to be good as long as I don't wear to much under it. For not so heavy rain I wear a Sugoi gilet which keeps me dryish and warm without overheating.

• ......but then I can only wear a jacket if it's chilly and wet. Once you are actually out I don't think the rain matters too much on sub 2 hour runs but it does impact on your motivation for the first couple of minutes.

I found the best thing is just to wear a cap, keeping the rain of your head and face really helps whilst you're persuading yourself to get out the door.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    I too am considering purchasing a waterproof jacket... I believe that anything made of GORE-TEX Active Shell fabric will be lightweight, breathable, and completely waterproof. As most of my training is done at an easy pace I don't think getting wet from the inside will be a problem... If anything it can be difficult to build up any body heat when the wind is howling and the rain is lashing down.
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

I actually love my waterproof jackets, I have 3! A Gore - Goretex one that is heaviest and warmest, it doesn't get used my me now! A montaine minimus which is great, lightweight and packs up small and Finally an OMM Kamleika smock which is easily the best, lightweight, quiet, stretchy!!! I don't get too sweaty in them!

• l got a dare2b windproof jacket from Debenhams in the online sale last year. Think it cost me something like 17 quid and it's the best investment i've ever made.

It's windproof, water resistant, lightweight, bright orange and has reflectant piping.

I'll see if l can find a link for you.

l actually stood in my shower with it when l first got it and it passed with flying colours. It got to the stage l would actively wait till it was raining so l could wear it out and even wear it when it wasn't inclement weather too.

• Just got the OMM Kamleika waterproof and breathable jacket. really light, stretchy and soft, so comfortable to wear and doesn't russel when you run. it's brilliant, but pricy. £135.

• They use them before going outside ? You need to fix that leaky roof.
  • Personally I don't think that fully waterproof jackets have any use in U.K conditions, outside of ultra distance events. 

Just my take. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I've never really needed one for marathon running but have signed up for the SDW50 next yr and a waterproof jacket is on the mandatory kit list so will have to find one.
  • AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Another vote for Gore or gortex but don't for the windstopper go for the full life time guarantee gore version. Which will be horrifically expensive but will get the rain out whilst letting your skin breathe and not turning you into a boil in the bag human.

• You probably don't have much of an idea!!!! I've had a training programme that's been bloody hard by itself. Add to that this bloody bloody weather and you're still only getting close. 20miles a week is doable. 25 is normal, but very wet and not pleasant. 30 is in the realms of norm. My fitness enjoys the 25 mile crew. 

• my OMM. Is simply awesome in the worst conditions. 

• Marmot Leadville gets my vote. Keeps me dry and is pretty breathable but only wear when it's cold and wet. A steal at 70 quid in the sales. If it's just wet then a cap and gilet do the job.

• I have never personally carried any running jacket for a run/event of less than 40 miles in length. When you get into events longer than that, everything you thought you knew about running clothing goes out of the window. Your body ability to cope with wet/cold is compromised, and you cannot really afford to get soaked. What’s more you are out in the open for a long time, so your jacket has to be pretty darn waterproof.

In my personal opinion, the most effective waterproof fabric for ultra distance is Gore-Tex Paclite Shell, which unfortunately has now been replaced by Gore-Tex Active Shell. In their attempts to make the fabrics more breathable, manufacturers have compromised their weather resistance. My current weapon of choice is an Arcteryx Alpha Paclite Smock, and I don't know what I am going to do when I have to replace it!