Headcorn Half Marathon

Is anyone else running this? Anyone doing this as their first half? Will be my 7th.

I enterd 2 weeks ago - can't yet see my name in the start list online which is a bit of a worry.

I take it this is a new fixture as I've not heard of it before? Hoping it will be a firm annual fixture for me - unusual to have a half in Feb, but it avoid sany clashes with other halfs & I reckon is a better date for those with a marathon in April.

2.5 weeks to go! image

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Tempted...as will be in that part of Kent on that weekend visiting my mum...might not be logistically possible though. Not much description on the official website about it seeing as only a few weeks away...

• 15 West - I agree with you! I'm visiting my Dad that weekend and headcorn is the next village along from his house. The website really doesnt give much information away, but claim to have all the facilities you'd find with a bigger organised half like timing chips, baggage area etc. We may be impressed on the day!

Let me know if you do decide to enter - will be nice to see some friendly faces on the day.

I'll be running in a green '3M's' vest & hoping to see some of my former club members from Paddock Wood AC there. image

• Am thinking if doing this now that Wokingham as been cancelled - was supposed to be my time predictor for Paris. 

Have emailed for more info.....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Be interested to find out what they say thisisnatty...

• Emailed on Saturday but no reply yet which is not filling me with confidence. Might opt for the Tunbridge Wells half instead.... 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

RiderHQ have tweeted today that it's 60% full. That's all I know.

Was going to get train from folkestone but no trains running, there will be a replacement bus - bit worried that will miss connection from Ashford...

If I drive any suggestions best route there?

• I've now entered. 

15W sorry I live the other direction so don't know an pay helpful routes. Google maps?

• Hi all, just looked at the website again and the start list has been updated - I'm in which is a relief image 304 entrants so far.

TINATTY - great news you have entered. Do you run for a club? Will look out for you on the day if you know what running vest you'll be wearing?

15West - sounds like driving is the best option. Striaght up M20 to Great Chart on outskirts of Ashford then left to Bethersden, High Halden and a right turn past Biddenden and Headcorn is the next village up. No easy way to get there unfortunately - small country roads once you are off the M20.

How is training going for you both?

I'm returning well after some hospital treatment and up to 9-10 miles, so hope adrenaline & experience gets me through the final 3 miles! image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of training for London marathon, so am treating this as a tune up race.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, and thanks for the directions. How I get there will probably depend on if anyone from my family wants to come and support me...and that probably depends on the weather! Could still get the bus/train.

• No I don't run for a club. 
    Given the current weather, I'll be in a blue top or a hi-vis jacket. Not much help there then! Tho I do usually wear a pale grey beanie hat....

Training was good, then tapering for Wokingham, then bleugh cold/sinus infection thing, now a teeny bit panicky about key workouts I would have done in the final weeks before being lost...
    I'd best get out there then!

• tisnatty - same here! Had illness, virus, foot injury and a family emergency in the last 4 weeks of training so not best preparations for a half...we'll have to rely on our earlier good training on the day!

will look out for someone wearing a grey beanie hat image I'll be wearing a green vest and pink hat.

I'm hoping the course isn't affected with any flooding? It's a very low lying area. I'll ask my Dad to check when we drives up that way at the weekend. Hopefully the weather will improve by the 23rd!

All the best with the final week of training & tapering both image

• In my 'Entry Details' on the website says I'm number 306, so possibly.....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I emailed them about if definitely still on etc and got following:

"yes , we have no problems with the course (floodwise) and everything else is in place so fingers xxx'd the weather is good for us next Sunday . Sandie"

• image 15West - thanks that's good to hear.

Hope your travel arrangements go well on the day.

tinatty - thanks. will look out for that number.

My plan is to get up at 6.45am & leave the house at 8am arriving about 8.15. I have a lift from my Dad who can drop me off then come back to see me finish about 10.30 onwards.

Last 2-3 weeks training have been hampered by ill health and the weather so I'll see what happens on the day....got no idea if I can run 1.34 or 2.10!

• Signed up this evening. This is my first half marathon so hoping I won't completely embarrass myself. Nice flat course to look forward to and ease myself into a longer distance.

• Hi Really looking forward to next Sundays race. Entered in November, after missing out on a place in the Ashford half. The course should be great running through my favourite part of Kent in the lovely countryside around Headcorn.

• Angry S (great name!)

image Welcome to the thread! You wont be emarrassing yourself at all - you have signed up & we all have to be half marathon virgins at some point. Are you aiming for a time or to get round on the day? As you say nice & flat so a good one start with. Did the Path n Downs route off the A20 a few years ago which was undulating & another one I'd recommend.

Hope your taper week goes well & see you next Sunday.

Weather finally picked up in South Wales today - hope it's been the same for Kent too.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Could be a bit windy on sunday.

• Not sure about the weather for the weekend, but it can be no worse than it has been recently. I saw on the runners world events page it is now full. I am so happy I entered months ago after missing out on Ashford half in November due to it being full. Seems like the half marathons in Kent are getting popular. I have entered Paddock wood half at the end of March, which I saw is getting near full. Hope everyone is feeling fit and looking ready to Sunday.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Don't think it's full, just stopped selling tickets this evening. Still can get an entry on the day.

• See everyone on Sunday! Hope your taper weeks have gone well?

I'm travelling on the train to Kent today.

Weather forecast looks perfect - cloudy and 10 degrees. Shorts & vest for me! image

• Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

I'm doing it, part of VLM training too but going to try and scrape a pb.

A friend who lives in Beckenham is entered too but there doesn't seem to be any way for him to get there in time by bus/train!

Don't suppose there is anyone else in that sort of south London area that might be able to give him a lift in the morning??  

• Dumb question, is listening to music during the race allowed.

Half marathon virgin here.....

lifes too short - just happy to get around injury free...... Am doing Reading next weekend!

• Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭
    AngrySquirrel wrote (see)

Dumb question, is listening to music during the race allowed.

No it isn't, in theory they would disqualify you, although they probably wouldn't ...but you shouldn't race with headphones, in race conditions you need to be aware of what/who is around you otherwise you might cause an accident (plus also the roads aren't closed).

• Events page is not saying its full now, sorry for the confusion, so entries on the day. Weather looks good for tomorrow, hoping for a PB on a flat course, hope everyone has a good race tomorrow.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Not doing this now as too tricky to fit in with family stuff. Good luck to you all tomorrow, have a good race.

• Well..... the headwind was relentless, the 12mile marker was way off, the lap round the green was splodgey, BUT I'm a very happy bunny with 1h58'45" image 

Hope everyone else had a nice day out ?

• Have to agree with you thisisnatty, killer winds could not get into a rhythm. The winds killed me in the last 3 miles I was well on for a 1hr 35min at 10mile, even thought I was close at mile 12, but that last mile seemed to go on and on. I thought the finish must be round this corner, then another corner. Others at the finish were saying the same and thought I was just tired or it was the wind.