Blackpool Marathon

Hi. Just done Chester. Loved it and looking for another marathon to look forward to! Definitely going to do Liverpool rock n roll for fun with my chap in may but really fancy going for a good time one more time before that
Is this going to be a good one?? Ps am I daft to do both 8 weeks apart after break of 5/6 months? Thanks

Comments

• i ran blackpool last year. route is a bit dull (2 laps - figure of 8 along by the seafront) - is pretty much pancake flat but at one point you end up running a couple of miles of each lap on the promenade which is concrete (made my legs feel pretty trashed after). having said that i did enjoy it as the weather was ok - could imagine it being absolutely horrendous if it's windy. Don't think you'd have any problems with 2 marathons being 2 months apart (i ran one a month last year after not having done any for over a year) but don't expect to PB in both image

• im also doing both Blackpool and rock n roll Liverpool.

never actually ran a marathon yet ive signed up for 4. my first one is 5 weeks away (Lancaster) and my 2nd is 9 weeks away (liverbird day 1)

• I did it this year - very flat and good for spectators as you keep going up and down the prom. The marshals were less than enthusiastic - won't do it again, I'm afraid 

• I did it this year too. Route didn't bother me but poor organisation did. Started late under a cold stand, no on course loo's which when enquired after was told I could have popped into one of the arcades (yeah right. Running around asking "where are your toilets? ") marshals less than enthusiastic and one playing football at mile 22. 

Probably do it again but needs better organising.  

• Did 3.02 chip time this year,want sub 3 next year,just booked up at the Hilton, plenty places for a few beers after !

• Well done Eric, Hilton filling up already for race goers. The route this year is the old one, wide start outside the Hilton on the promenade (closed road for 6 hours) with a nice 3.5 mile straight stretch before the turn at Squires Gate. New marshaling team for 2014, sporty adults and experience at big events.

Runningowl, your comments have been address and ll others will likewise. , 20 + toilets will be open (danfo superloos) at points along the route 7 miles between top and botton of the whole route, These will be clearly marked. (8 were open for the 2013 event at Gynne Square and Little Bispham) 

• Cheers Ron. Decided to give Blackpool another go next year.  will be signing up in the new year. 

Nice race that went wrong for me from the day before compounded by needing the toilet at mile 17-19 and the idiotic marahall playing football at mile 22 running in front of me and forcing me to stop suddenly.  Police forcing you to reopen road back to football ground didn't help either.  was a disappointing 3:06 for me

2:55.00 or bust in 2014

• Runningowl, I guarantee you will not have any of these problems next year

• Sounds good,  Just a small matter of training for itimage

• I think Blackpool is a cracking marathon - it's a shame it does not get more runners (and support from the local media). Good news re the improvements to this race (particularly the marshals) although having done it the last 2 years I've decided to do another spring marathon next year - Barcelona sounded a bit more appealing!

• We will miss you John,2014 promises to be the best ever Blackpool Marathon with our new partners & sponsors

• Thank you Ron - I'm probably going to do the half in February to make up for it - also to try and find my legs near Gynn Square, which I think I lost 2nd time around in this year's marathon!

• John

Thge GNW Half Marathon is our favourite event, we are looking for your legs as we speak, pick them up at registration (run & cycle past there five  times a week no sight of them????) with your number & timing chip, don't forget to enter early, although we will probably exceed the entry limit (will get it increased) as of today 1125 entries. Previous record entry 1564, looks like a new record for 2014 for this the 25th running of the event.  Runners World pacers booked again, they are great for those that wish to post a certain time (all volunteers)  Great course two laps, slightly different laps, brill medal, great goody bag, chip timing and super venue at the Hilton Hotel, partners with FCR Events Ltd. All the best & good luck

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RocketRon - I'm in for the half and this will be my third time. What's different about the route? Both of my previous runs have been on slightly diiferent routes.

i ran with one of the pacers last year and she was great. Nice shiny PB for me. Probably have to run alone this year, as I haven't improved enough for the next pacer image

• Not at Blackpool FC next year, back at the Hilton  (Aprils Full & Half marathons)I presume you mean the GNW Half with the RW pacers, we do not have them for April's half. GNW in February slight alteraton to second lap to avoid lapping from leaders.

• Doing this for the 3rd time did it last in 2012, cracking course I personally like the 2 lap course.Did London last year will be good to get back to a less hectic local marathon.
  • I meant to do this in 2012 but a heavy cold wrecked my training and stopped me travelling up to Blackpool. So I determined to make it happen this year. Entry now made and accommodation booked. Sorted for 2014.

• Not long now until race day. Who is doing it this year. 

Had a intensive hard training build up and after a 2:11.00 east hull 20mile race last sunday my aim of sub 2:50.00 looks good weather depending after last year's disastrous 3:06.54 

• I'm in this year. Not done this event before (although done a few of their other events). Hoping to beat my PB of 3:14. Sub 3:10 would be great.
  • Not long now,   Did a Stafford 20 the other week in 2.11.58 ,  So hopefully sub 3 on thecards

• Has anyone had actual confirmation of race number - I cannot find anything on my emails?

• When you entered you should have had a comfirmation email to print off to bting to the marathon to get your number/ chip,     Times for this are on the website

• Cheers, I must have deleted it but I emailed so all sorted. Weather could be ropey, oh well! Good luck everyone.
  • Flat course but where did that wind come from yesterday?

• Really enjoyed the run but the wind into the final stretch back towards the Hilton was something to behold!  I was very impressed with the race, nice and relaxed, no problems with organization people referred to above and I thoroughly enjoyed the route too. 

Never been to Blackpool before the wife and kids played on the amusements and were around to join me at the finish which is a very nice change.  Nowhere near my PB but this was an opportunity to qualify for Comrades and some proper training - could see my PB being broken here though as it's a good course - notwithstanding the wind, beer and karaoke!