Options

Running headphones

DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a running headphone that lasts more than 10 months? I have been using sennheiser pmx 80's and got through 3 pairs in 2 years. I seemed to be perpetually in correspondence with them seeking replacements.

I am looking to spend up to £40, so any suggestions would be appreciated??

Comments

• Options

I had the same problem with Sennheiser. I now use these - the sound quality is not as good, but they last at least 4 times longer

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ok, thanks for that, i'll have a look at reviews etc.

• Options

I have the PMX70 and have used for over 3 years, never a problem.

I also now have Yurbuds Inspire which I can wear under a beanie, great fit and only £25, Get the right size though

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the further responses.

Ivor- they look like a decent bit of kit for the cash, but would you run long distance in them???

• Options

I've done a couple of 5 mile runs in them and had no problems - very comfortable, very stable and don't notice them at all.

I've got 7.5 and 10 mile runs the next couple of weekends, so they'll be getting a good run-through.

• Options
    Runninginpleasepass, how do you know which size to get for the Yurbuds? I have no idea how big the holes in my ears are compared to average but am interested in getting these.

I had a cheap pair (??4.99 from Sports Direct) that went behind the ear. They lasted 18 months and were fine. Then bought a ??25 pair from Philips and these have only lasted 9 months.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Do the yurbuds not come with different sized ear pieces. I bought some noise reduction ones some years ago before I ran and they came with s,m and l pieces. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Toro, nice thread! However those aftetrshokz headphones look a good shout. 

• Options
    Slowkoala wrote (see)
    Runninginpleasepass, how do you know which size to get for the Yurbuds? I have no idea how big the holes in my ears are compared to average but am interested in getting these.

I had a cheap pair (??4.99 from Sports Direct) that went behind the ear. They lasted 18 months and were fine. Then bought a ??25 pair from Philips and these have only lasted 9 months.

Best to go to a running shop that sells them, they have demo pairs for you to try for proper fit. The Yurbuds website has a page to show you how to measure, but you need someone to do it for you  and even then it's not a given.

The Inspire range only comes in 1 size but the more expensive ranges come with 2 caps that allow you to adjust and a microphone if you have iPhone etc.

Having said that, if you buy say the 5mm size and it's not quite perfect Yurbud will ship a set of covers to replace if you ask nicely.

• Options

Try the SoundMagic E30's - amazing sound , really light and stay in a treat even on long runs - even better when the eartips are replaced with the Comply ones. I moved from Sennheisers a couple of years ago now and would never ever go back now...

• Options

I've tried Yurbuds and they're pretty good.

• Options
    I ve had the basic ??25 yurbuds for two years very very impressed with them comfortable, and never fall out. Designed by a ironman competitor I was told. I would not buy anything else. My mate just got yurbuds inspire pro. I ear type. They got mike for phone. Volume etc. Tidy kit I'm bit jealous now.
  • Options

I just got a pair of MONSTER I-SPORT VICTORY and pleased to say they are the first in ear headphone to ever stay securely in place without needing constant adjustments. They sound fantastic , yes they are a little pricey around £109 but you can literally run them under a tap without ruining them.

Ive had the neck band sennheisers and yes they stay in place but for me the sound is rubbish - I like high end audio and the sound quality is important to me.

they have a flat cable which means they never tangle / get knotted up ....Very pleased and hopefully the extra cost will be offset by the fact that they are not going to need replacing in 6 months !!

I don't know why but I seem to destroy head phones so quickly so buying cheaper sets ends up being false economy ....just thought i'd add my comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Glyn. Cheap is expensive in the end as the saying goes!

• Options

"Buy cheap, buy twice"

Quote from Blanche Hunt, Coronation Street.

• Options

I have a pair of the yurbuds inspire pro and they definately stay in,sound quality is decent enough but obviously the price tag reflects its not high end.I previously used a pair of monster (forget which) but they werent a sport version and so lasted around 6 months before the sweat killed them.

I however may try the SoundMagic E30's that Mike has recommended as the reviews of the sound quality of those seems to offer near on high end and ive seen them at under £25!

• Options

I bought a pair of Yurbuds Inspire and sent them straight back. The fit was fine, didnt fall out, comfortable etc. However, the sound quality was totally awful. I'm not audiophile expert, but there was just nothing in the sound that came out of them - tinny and hollow.

I've tried loads of headphone - sony neckband (used to be good but they changed them and now the sound is awful), Philips SHQ1200/10 ActionFit (again awful sound quality and didnt stay in my ears), Philips SHQ4200/10 ActionFit (these were great, but the band because twisted and after that they just wouldnt stay in the right place and kept falling out), PMX80 (made my ears sore!).

Finally seemed to have got a good combination of Philips SHS8100/10 Earhook Headphones coupled with Comply T-400 foam tips.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038AK1YO/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comply-T-400-Isolation-Earphone-Medium/dp/B002NUJ2RM/

These have been excellent. You need to clean or replace the tips every few months as they get dirty with wax and lose their softness. But thats easy and/or quite cheap.

I did a 16 mile long run with this combination last week, and they were fantastic.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I went for the sound magic e30 in end with comply tips. Got the lot for 34 pound. Must say, the headphone sound quality is not near as loud or bassy as the sennheiser pmx 80's I had and without the comply tips they are not impressive at all. However comfort and fit are brilliant. Just hope that they have greater durability!