Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Thanks, only did a 3 miler in the end at the gym with an hours worth of core and cross training didnt want to push it but legs feel much better today and have yoga tonight so hopefully I'll be back to normal for a 6miler friday and then my first 17-18 miles on sunday image

• Thank you Wenty, will do. When the roads are covered with ice and snow I can see the reason for running on treadmills. Fortunately for me the nasty stuff will be gone by tomorrow. Already bright sunshine and 5 degrees celsius image
  • Oh I cant do the dreadmill! maybe 3-4 miles if i have to. No bright sunshine here - only rain and wind!

• Lots of people say that to me, for some weird reason I dont mind them for up to 6 or so miles I must zone out. Running is definately nicer outside though goes much quicker! Living in a small village doesnt bode well for running after work though not quite safe enough until its back light again

• Yea,for those wanting a later start to the marathon you have your wish....it now starts at 9:15 ....image

• Hello everyone, new in this thread but I'm also doing Brighton and running for the NSPCC.

Training has gone well so far, having made up some lost ground before Christmas when I had a foot injury, but I did my first 20miler this week and am just about to start to enjoy something of a cutback week after a hard January which included 169miles and lots of cross training.

• Well done Martin - looking on course for some good training.

I managed 10 miles today in the wind and rain - horrid but ticked the box!

• Very happy to have the extra 15 minutes in bed on race day!

But I still think it is overambitious and risky putting the 10K on just before the marathon start.   Even with the extra 15 minutes, I think there's a danger of confusion and certainly no slack if anything goes awry.

• Hi all, Bad conditions in England I understood. I did the last hill reps in this half year training cycle. From the hilltop I watched a spectacular sunset. This was running at its best!

Keep on, Franz
  • I know what you mean about the 10k, but don't know what I'd suggest is the best option. I did the Liverpool Marathon in 2012 and the 10k started at exactly the same time and that was a little confusing and I think messed with peoples pacing. I did the Robin Hood Marathon last year and the Half shared the first 11 miles, I was paranoid about taking the Half turning at 11 miles by mistake!!
  • Sounds a daft idea to me to have the 10k before! Brighton (and hove actually) have a 10k so do they need another one? Its marathon Day!

Couple of days off for me!

• I think the 10k is a mistake, in the past there have been delays to the start, cars on the course etc, and luckily the weather was pleasant then, if it is raining and cold then any delay through what I think is a further money spinner would not be welcomed, they could have it the day before or after the marathon runners have gone, if the day before they could follow Disney's approach and do a package and different medals for doing both.

Nice 20 miler tomorrow morning for me, looking forward to it.

Hope you all have good runs, take care

• What's daft about it? The can rake in 30 quid for a 10k for a course that is already set out. I blame the dullards who are prepared to pay it.

• Hey, for all you guys upto 18+ miles for the long runs now, how many of them (and which miles) are you doing at target pace?
  • That's me Martin...  should be 20 on Sunday.... although I'm not getting enough total  miles in.  Peaked at 37 so far... when I should be 10 more than that.

I'll be doing around 7 runs at 18+   Target time is a slightly ambitious 3:40...  but would be delighted with 3:45... which would be a pb.

How about you?

• Well, this is my 3rd Marathon. 

I did Liverpool in 2012 in 3:41 on the back of a 14,16,18,20 & 22.

I did Nottingham last year in 3:13 after 2x18s, 2x20s and a 22.

This year I'm trying to make the most of some more free time after sadly being made redundant after Christmas by really getting stuck into the training and have done an 18 and a 20 already and am hoping to get in 3 more 20s and 2 x 22's.

I'm trying to work out how many miles in those long runs I should be doing at my target pace.  I did 13 easy and 7 at pace last time out, but don't know if I should be trying for at least half distance, or if that is plenty.  Want to train for a time, but don't want to get injured or over train.

I'm banking on a sub3:10 minimum, but dreaming of sub3:05 and a London Good For Age time!?!?!

• Martin - I am going for 3 hrs and have done 3 20 milers now and have another 3-4 planned. none have been at MP yet but later in feb and march will be doing the longer runs with some MP at the end - and doing 2 mid week runs over 10 miles, as i think these are important lT tempo runs to get the pace ready for MP on longer runs especially if you want to improve from 3:13 to 3:05 - does not sound much but it gets harder as your time comes down.image

• well glad to read that other peoples training is going well mines turning into a disaster things happening in work means I’ve missed another long run this week  fortunately it was only  14 miles but at this rate if work carries on the way it has been then it may be curtains for a Brighton this year hoping things get a bit less manic and i can get back to it

• Toby you'll be good for brighton as you've got a good base of fitness anyway ,look at all those long runs you've done over the winter getting in one a month ...you did 20 miles last week ...only 8 weeks tomorrow ....then you can work your ass off and retire from running NOT 

• HI TOBY, I fully agree with Yvonne! I have read all your posts during the last month. You must have a strong base! Now, if you miss some runs you will loose maybe 5 to 10 percent of your fitness. But you can still run the BM. Maybe you have to re-adjust your target. If you need 10 minutes moore to finish - who cares? We are not running pros and it is normal that something interferes with our running schedule.

Keep on, Franz
  • Toby - you have to do Brighton as you've done the last 4 years. Looks like I will be doing No 6 next year

• Afternoon all

Well Longleat 10k done and dusted a good day for all time wise paced Snowmaiden around coming home in 1:07:53 which is a vast improvement on the first time she ran a 10k back in 2010 when it took her 1:41:31

Thanks guys i always panic a bit about this time in the training

• Toby you will be fine - if worse comes to worse just re evaluate you goal time.

I had 10k today in the bloody wind 39 mins with 35 mph winds. Not pleased with time but not sure what it's worth in really time.

Getting a bit annoyed getting blown away or soaking wet. But nothing I guess to some of the people in Somerset. Stick with it people as I tempted to give up at present. Brighton half next week oh joy - rain or wind? What do people think?
  • Well, as Toby says Longleat 10k today, a mainly dry run with lots of hills (both up and down).  Me, Toby and Snowmaiden all started off together, but they soon overtook me.  I overtook them once going downhill only for them to overtake me again soon after, then I didnt see them for the rest of the race and was expecting them to be waiting for me at the finish line.  I started to look for them after I finished the race in 1.07.01 but got quite a surprise when I heard the announcer saying their names as they came through after me. 

It appears my fitness isnt as bad as I thought it was as I have been really struggling with pace on my long runs.  Not a pb for me today, but less than a minute slower than my pb and 11.42 mins faster than Longleat 10k last year, so a good result overall.

Dont worry all, Toby will be doing Brighton this year.  He has even been talking about coming back again next year!  So dont let him kid you.

• Hey Toby you will be just fine on race day.image

Looks like I may have to miss out again this year (4th time out of 5 image) as plantar fasciitis hasn't quite cleared up yet.  But I shall be there.

• Green Fiary - I developed PF in the middle of 2012. It was very painful and I still managed to run Beachy in 2012 and Brighton 2013. I just ran mainly my long runs. I just have to be careful these days that I don't do too much. I'm doing 2 short runs and a long run for Brighton marathon. 

• Thanks Tracey G, Will have to ease back into it over next two weeks then see what I can do and just go for it on the day if I make it to the start line.  Had wanted to be well trained for it this year but things gone against me.

Like most runners when injured I'm feeling down in the dumps image It will pass image