Sub 3

Comments

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Ah, at last. A question relating to what this thread's really all about. 

Can't really help though. I find that if you throw dirty kit into a pile and don't ask any questions, it just sort of turns up all freshly laundered in the sports drawer within 24 hours. 

• I think maybe marders has been overdoing the supplements... image

Bosch.  You know it makes sense.  A white one.

Dan, I find it hard to believe that you can fit all your sports gear into one drawer.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

White bosch, obviously.

• I'm becoming a bit of a Miele convert (they come in white or white). Expensive and simple, but built to last. 

Amazing times from those racing in these conditions.

CBA to do a long run yesterday. Doubled my mileage to the dizzy heights of 50 mpw and legs feel rubbish. Feel very much like I was once a runner... 

So my washing machine is white, but shoes will be black this year 

• Blimey! coro and marders posting in the space of a few hours! Good to see you both.

Dan - this is the first year in a while where I might actually make the start line of a spring mara. I worked out a while back that I always encounter problems trying to make the start of London (or any at a similar time), which means if I do any future non-autumn marathons I'll stick to late spring or early winter (non UK obviously for the latter). It's so much easier to get sick or throw a funk in winter, so I figured why fight it.

CW - I'm (now) doing more miles earlier in the campaign too. It's essentially Lydiardism, and is similar to what Spedding used to do (get a chunk of bigger weeks in early and use that to sustain the rest of it).

Nice back to back runs Dachs.

Got the week off to a decent start with a 22m. Decent weather bar a 30min cloudburst and the temp dropping at least 5 degrees at the same time. Warmed up enough after that to have me dry by the finish, which made a pleasant change. Pleasingly, the effort didn't feel that dissimilar to last week but was much quicker, and instead of bombing out like last week I finished getting quicker for no real increase in effort. Starting to feel more like myself again image

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd stick my noggin in hear and say a brief hello:

Sorry to read about the conditions down there. It's not been great up here but more to do with wind and a bit of rain rather than absurd amounts of rain. Shame that Wokingham was called off.

JH1 - fantastic pb given the conditions 

Dan - that sounded horrific

TR - get well soon

TT - mad mileage, can't comprehend running that amount

CW - those "training runs" of full distance and over you do are very impressive

Dachs - atleast you got out and did something in the end.

Hope everyone else's training is going well, I've just lost one script due to iPad cocking up so I'm afraid lazyness has got the better of me and I'm sticking at this.

Getting some decent training in now in terms of faster stuff. Been doing some mile reps on the treadmill and even though I know it's not equal to outside it's still a decent session. Warm up followed by 5x 1m @ 5.56 and 1.5% incline and 2.5 min jogg recoveries. Been doing club intervals and hill reps type stuff too with long runs around the 16/17 mile mark. 

Cross country yesterday and finished 83rd out of 450 but 61st fastest overall compared to 117th in November so the fitness is coming on now. Managed 12 yesterday but chilling today as I feel like I'm coming down with something. 

Think I'm going to aim at 1.17.59 in March half as a target. Might not be able to achieve it but it's worth a shot! Hoping to run a pb either way. Have Dufton fell race in a few weeks in Cumbria which is a warm up for the fell season proper starting April when the big races start. Will be in good shape for those.

• Oh, before I forget...... For the Nike Pegasus lovers amongst you, I wore a pair of these today. A bargain at £19.95. The fit, feel and ride is very very much like the Pegasus imo, but they are considerably lighter (2/3).

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Blimey, marders has graced us with his presence! How's it going fella? You had your hair cut yet, or do you still look like an extra from a Whitesnake video? No idea re the washing machine. Being a modern man I get my Mum to do all my stuff. I am her brave little soldier after all.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

TT wrote - "Starting to feel more like myself again" image

I'm thinking about starting to feel myself more again !

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I find the same as Dan with the dirty clothes, although mine don't seem to appear there within 24 hours, usually a few days.

If Coro's already on 50 mpw, we should expect 2:1x at London as that's significantly more miles at this stage than usual!

TT - I don't know anything about those shoes, what size I would be etc., but at £19.95 I'm very tempted anyway! Nice 22M - I think you'll be in great shape by April if it all goes to plan.

RS - sounds like things are going well, keep up the good work.

Still stuck at work (waiting for something), so think I'll be up early for a turbo tomorrow morning instead of this evening.

• Ah, washing machines...  Although seeing as Padams and DanA don't even seem to use theirs, I'm not sure it's a very inclusive topic of conversation.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I'm pretty good at driving our washing machine, often setting a wash going before an early morning run or turbo so its all done by the time I get back.

• Will read back in a moment but think I caught Marders's name. 

Just back from a parents evening and as of today I am officially a V50. Oh my,

• TRTR ✭✭✭

HR - happy birthday then, I hope that you are having a beer or two.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

HR - happy birthday!

• Happy Birthday HR!

If washing machines come in black then my next one certainly will be. 

• Happy birthday, HR. Halfway there!

• Thanks folks. Wasn't much of a celebration with being at work but had a great curry the day before at Munbai Delight on south Lambeth road, marred only by a tramp bursting in to steal our lunch and a drug deal out the front. So normal Saaaarf London then.

Marders, Coro and RS78 on the same page: special times. I wash the kit much more frequently now but that's only because of sitting in it on a busy commuter train in the mornings and an office of females late afternoon. It's the Pegasus shoes that are the real stinkers.which reminds me TT that's a great tip. I had a minor calf niggle Saturday from the new Pegasus 30's so wore my old ones Sunday and yesterday without any problem. I think I've outgrown that amount of cushioning maybe or heel drop as I do a fair amount in the Asics Gel Lyte 32's. Will definitely look at those ones TT. I've also copied and pasted your specific Amsterdam taper: looks good to me. V interested that you cut right back to 12m for the long run a week out. I like that.

Back to washing machines: my brother works in white goods and reckons Bosch have been going off a bit. He's been getting a lot more complaints. The cheaper ones are made by someone else I believe. I'd second the Miele vote and I'm not a shareholder.

Dan: top run that mate. Don't be too hard on yourself.

TR continued healing vibes.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I'm actually banned from using the washing machine I think. Despite living on my own for several years and managing fine, Mrs Padams doesn't trust me with it (which is fine by me!).

60 mins on the turbo at 6am inc. 2x20mins (305W for the first, 320W for the second). I think that's the best power I've managed but could still go higher - will try 320W for the first next time and maybe 330 for the second.

Legs felt a bit wobbly walking up the 2 flights of stairs in the office just now, so the running session later might be interesting.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

HR - happy birthday. A significant number indeed; expect you could do a bit of pot hunting now. 

as someone who lives by the Thames I'm glad I live on the first floor - might be forced into triathlon training at this rate, just to get out the door. 

• I didn't realise it was a big one HR. Double congrats then! Re: Amsterdam taper, I actually ran a 20m with some effort on the Wednesday a week out, so there was no need for any more than 12m on the Sunday.

Padams - that was pretty much my take on them (nothing to lose for that money), plus Jr #1 has a pair and they looked quite good, plus Hilly has some as well. Fit wise I got an 8 (same as the rest of my shoes), which is fine, though, like the Pegasus, they are a bit wider than I normally get. I got a small bit of rubbing on the achilles yesterday from them, but nothing a bit of vaseline rubbed into the heel area to soften the fabric won't fix.

• mayday mayday ..... MLR mission aborted, due to sh!tty cold rainy weather. Made it to my doorstep, garmin finding the satellite - started peeing down. Jumped in the car with the wife and got a lift to the tube. Can't bear going out in the rain. It's ok if I'm warmed up and in the zone and then it starts.  Anyhoo got all my kit so will try for an early evening 13 or 14 commute home the long way round.

Marders #joker!  

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Happy birthday HR.  Is it bad that I thought you were already a V50?  Sounds an eventful dinner.  One could argue that the drug dealer also works in "white goods".

Well done on the XC RS78.

Padams wrote (see)

I'm actually banned from using the washing machine I think. Despite living on my own for several years and managing fine, Mrs Padams doesn't trust me with it (which is fine by me!).

Same here.  It's not a house rule that I have a problem with.

• TmothTmoth ✭✭✭

Happy belated HR!

Once upon a time I used my 'initiative' and threw my thrice worn, gear in with the household load and pressed play. Never heard the end of it - contaminated the lot apparently, had to be rewashed by the enraged boss a number of times. I now have a specific running gear laundry bag which gets done once a week by her wot knows best. Shame i only have 2 sets of running gear - 6 runs a week - you do the math...

Crisp clear morning here for my 12. Made a nice change....

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Many happy returns HR, it's down hill all the way from now on

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Happy birthday HR

Well done on the long runs all, the weather is pretty poor.  There's snow in the north.  Portsmouth is still above water.  Devastating to hear on R4 earlier someone lost a box of books... 1st world problems

I am now doubling days and as I was shuffling and cursing my choice of hobby I told myself that it's only 6 hard weeks to go (plus 2 weeks taper) and less as i'll rest up before Fleet.

• Welcome back all!

Very interested in your choice of Adizero Adios Boost coro. I was tempted by there being some plausible physics (remembering the impressive bouncy ball demo at last year's expo) and the word record credentials, yet put off a bit by the weight being significantly higher than my current race shoes. Any further thoughts -- are you already using them?

TT -- sounds like you're going nicely. You managed to bag a relatively windless day (or it was here, anyway).

Good to hear you're running well RS.

HR -- hitting V50 in your currently sprightly form should mean plenty of trophies for the mantelpiece.

That Padams, he's all torque...

Dangerous, these days off. After my rest yesterday, I woke early this morning with a tight calf. Which I attempted to massage away, which only made it cross. I was going to bin the commute, but it seemed to relax itself, so I had a sprightly (6:53/M) 6M in with some bridge repeats as hill training (or at least form training, so small is the hill). My legs were feeling otherwise good after the rest day. The calf was a bit sore again afterwards, though fine when running, so I'll keep a careful eye on it.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

HR - happy birthday! You'll be winning pots all over the place now.

CW - very poor pun, particularly as we all know that torque and power are not the same (I still don't really understand torque when used in relation to a car's engine though...).

TT - think I might buy some then. I'm 11.5 in Saucony's, so will probably go for 12s on the basis that a bit big is better than a bit small.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

#Boost erm...

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/search.asp?strKeywords=sonic+boost&x=0&y=0

I have bought 2 pairs of these.  Whilst a little worried they would be a bit of a mongrel shoe and whilst they are quite stiff and hard they feel comfortable.  I think I will run in Adidas Adizero Manas as I have for my last 2 marathons although I may change my mind if the boosts change me.  They are quite heavy I think when compared to other fast shoes but lighter than the Supernovas.  It'd be interesting to see if anyone has compared supernova v supernova boosts.