Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Green Fairy - I pulled my hamstring 6 days before Beachy in 2012. Think it was a good thing as I rested my foot for 2 weeks after Beachy and then did run/walk to help a friend and it slowly got better and I got a pb at Brighton last year. I lost a lot of speed, but am now getting it back. I'm avoiding speed work as that brings it back on.

• Managed a 19 miler this weekend in just over three and a half hours although the winds were so bad I ended up re-routing to my gym to run half and then back outside for the last bit. If its that windy on the marathon day I dont think I would be able to do it, literally winded me making me feel sick at points. Living in the countryside has its downside for once! Luckily legs feeling okay today just slightly achy.

Did take gels again but I dont think they agree with me, I took one as was told to take it after an hour by my physio and I dont think I really needed it (was in a good pace and not tired) but took it anyway and all it done was make me feel even more heavy all over esp my legs and couldnt get back into it for the same pace after that. I tried jelly babies but they make me feel sick as well. Has anyone tried anything else for energy on long runs?

Yoga session again tonight to iron out the muscles before the 6miler recovery run tomorrow

• Soph86 - firstly well done on your 19 miler, gels are a weird thing, there are many different makes and some work and some don't, I would suggest you try different sorts, I am the same as you and the sugary ones don't always settle very well, I have found Hammer gels, or Torq gels work as they are no so sickly. You can also use normal food, pieces of flapjack, chocolate, cake, nuts, or there are always the drinks such as perpetuem which I find works really well on the long runs.

To all - I think we all gets niggles at this time in training, I too have whats feels like a bit of PF, but changed trainers had gait tested and stretch out my achilles and it does not seem to be getting any worse.

take care everyone 

• I bet it's been breezy on Brighton seafront!

• No niggles from my side - onle the removed theeth. Big hole on the upper right side. Got the stitching out on Friday. Did 28k on Saturday and intervalls yesterday. Was a hard week with the long run, the hill reps, the marathon tempo run and the intervalls.

Today recovery run, tomorrow 1h10min marathon tempo, intervalls on Wednesday.

If it is windy in Brighton, it is windy for all runners. That is the good thing.

Keep on, Franz

• Soph86 - I know what you mean - this last week has made me want to give up - either soaking wet or blown over - 19 miles in those conditions are really good and I was so pleased i did not have a long run this weekend - 19 miles in that wind is probably worth 22 normal miles. Re the gels, try sports drinks either on their own or with the gels. Most gels are meant to be taken with water or drinks. Dont gulp them down in one - take a bit of gel at a time over a mile or 2 seems to be the trick.

10k for me on sunday in the wind 39 mins, a bit dissapointed but probably worth 30 seconds in calmer condition, see what brighton half brings next weekend...

Spen - i certainly get niggles all the time - always borderline injured! - thats running!

• Thanks all, I may just need to spread the gel out a lot more, I do make sure I drink lots of water at the same time so having one at once plus fluid is probably what makes me feek sick or need the toilet. I think Gatorade will be the brand they will hand out at the marathon so hoping they arent as awful as the gatorade drinks! Need to buy some that arent as sugary or sweet.

Yep same here this week on one hand I was super pleased that I'm almost peaked at top mileage I'll have to do in training and on the other was thinking how on earth will I get round the last 7 miles after how I felt at the end of the 19 miler!

• I used to always wonder how the hell i would do the extra 6 miles after a 20 miler. but with good taper and adrenaline atmosphere etc makes it easier than a 20 miler i feel. I still do wonder sometimes!

I always remind myself not to be afraid of the 26 miles but always respect it!  If you have done a 19 miler at this stage you are in a good place.

• Wenty - I agree always respect the distance, race day is different doing runs on your own as many of us do, it does affect the motivation having others around you, I always struggle with tapering though.

• Spen - i have no problem with taper - its a welcome relief. But i do get scared i am loosing fitness. Such a bit difference as you say running with others on race day compared to the lonely long run in training. Plus Brighton has a great atmosphere - best marathon i have run to date!

• Paul, the slight loss of fitness during the taper is more than offset by the rest. You run on the day like you never could in training.

• The tapering weeks are what get me through my runs right now. My long weekly run of 10 miles the weekend before the race is going to seem like a rest. In the last two weeks before the race although the mileage cuts down and the amount of runs would it be okay to do yoga still most days or should it be complete rest?

• You are such a posh girl Soph with your Yoga and your physioimage

• Lol well physio was a result of injuring myself but yoga something I've come to love for making me feel normal again after all this running and gets rid of all the aches and pains image
  • Hello fellow runners!

I have an entry to this year's race, however I will not be taking part due to an ongoing hip issue which has prevented me from doing any training imageimage

Please let me know if anyone is interested in taking my place? I cannot remember the entrance fee but I entered as soon as registration was open, so think it would have been discounted. Can anyone remember, i think around £40/50?

I don't have my race number in hand yet but I would imagine they will start sending them out in next few weeks.

Thanks! image

• RB - you have to collect your race number up from Expo.

• Tracey G - Speed as in going quickly??? What is this word? I do not understand the meaning of it....image

I have three 'speeds' like gears; Slow, Stop and Fall Over image

• Morning all

10 miles for me yesterday with 11 today and may try a 22 on Friday to enter the gel debate must say i found they didn’t do a lot for me last year so I’m going to try the flapjack route this time around I shall take some out with me if i do the 22 on Friday but if not will try them out Saturday when i go out with Poohbear for her second 20 mile run

Will report back and let you know how i got on with them

Wenty i have to agree with you about feeling I’m losing fitness especially in the last week when i only have a couple of small runs to do it feels like the fitness is draining out of you

Green fairy so to read you may have to miss out again hope thing inprove for you

• It is strange the taper period as you loose no fitness but feel like you are.. must be mind games. Its so true Philamena on race day i run like i have never come close to on training runs!

Soph86 - in taper weeks cut down on everything is suggested. I cut out weight sessions and most suggest cutting or stopping most cross training. Not sure where Yoga stands compared to weights or cross training. Sensible to cut back on it i would think, especially the last week.

• Afternoon all

Well the 11 turned into just over 12.5 miles not the fastest run in the world and have to say i did struggle a bit towards the end

• Yeah sounds the best plan. I guess gentle stretching throughout that week is as much as I'll do then. I have to admit it's going to be very weird going from exercising pretty much every day or at least 6 days to half that and even then only for 2-3 mile steady runs

• Toby - non running in this windy weather is fastimage

• Hi all,

we have again fresh snow - ankle deep and heavy wet. I have to search safe ground for todays intervalls as I do not want to slip again!

Yesterdays MTR was done at 5:20/km for 70min, HR was 132bpm, still a bit too slow. Next time I have to run harder.

Keep on, Franz
  • Taper period is a bit weird as you still want to do more to get fitter and it feels strange after months of miles of runs to do so much less. And then there is the carb loading!! image

• Hi All,

First time marathon runner here, going to run in the Brighton Marathon. Running with my niece for Cancer Research UK, and have been training since Dec '13.

Currently up to 16 mile "long run" with 3 * 8 miles in between. My question is please - how much should I reduce my taper down to ? and when should I taper, I'm guessing in the last two weeks.

Any advice gratefully taken and respect to all you hardened marathoners as I didn't appreciated the pounding my 52 yr old body was in for when I started training,

Thanks.

• Hey Chedder - good going for first marathon to be up that far at this stage - Dont overdo it and make sure you get to the start line - you have gone so far now.

Taper for at least 2 weeks - maybe 3 and cut distance down 33% 1st week then 66% 2nd as a guide. (but dont reduce the intensity - speed).

• our taper looks likethis 22,20,15, 14,10

• Wenty,

Thanks, just what I needed and will take in on board.

Toby3,

Thanks also, does your reply pertain to the distance of long runs ? I take it that it does ?

• Cheddar... are you not following a published training programme?  You should at least be using one as a general guide for your runs. That would answer your questions.

Most people who don't follow a programme might put in a lot of hard work, spending hours...sacrificing other things to find time for their training.  But then do it all very inefficiently... running the 'wrong' paces etc. 

If you follow some simple principles, you could either be much better race-prepared for the same amount of effort...  or alternatively, you could do less training but still achieve a decent outcome.

For example, you should really be including one Lactate Threshold run per week.  Most of your other runs should be really very slow.

Good luck!   (what time are you hoping to achieve, by the way?)

• Nose Nowt, I do agree with you regarding the specific runs but this is the first year i have followed a schedule and i am not really enjoying it. It feels like a chore that has to be done and I much preferred going out a few times a week and running what and how i felt like (obviously building the long runs up).

I have not even noticed my times getting better following the P&D schedule. Plus a guy on the barcelona forum is sub 3 and he does not follow schedules either....

But i would say 90% of people do follow them and most of the time it is a benefit.