Sub 3h15

Comments

• Well done to all the trainers and racers over the weekend. Mucky out there and glad I was not racing this weekend. Took Saturday off for a change and only did 5 easy miles last night. Sunny and dry today and less windy but that's due to change again tonight and revert back to being wild. Roll on 22 Feb when I head for Tenerife for a much needed bit of winter sun training.

Abbers - Well done on your maiden 20! Sounds like your made for this marathon training lark.image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Birch - "sunny and calm", doesn't that sound good! Typical that today is a non-running day for me, with the rain returning overnight...

GM - Tenerife sounds very appealing! How long are you out there for? Not sure about being made for it, but it's going OK so far. Need to avoid injury and the various bugs that are doing the rounds though.

Question for the thread. The plan says 6 miles tomorrow, including 15 x 200 with 200 recoveries. I have no objection to this session per say, but not sure of the value in a mara schedule? Clearly it's good for speed, but would I be better off doing say 4 x 1M instead as speed endurance and just plain stamina are presumably of more benefit for mara training?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Abbers - what other sessions have you got this week?  There's no set session that will make you better at any distance so its all about mixing it up.

• Abbers - In the MT interview they did with him, Pete Pfitzinger (of P&D) fame put great importance/ emphasis on doing strides, so the session you mention sounds as good as any.

Minni - Excellent bling/breakfast set fest!

• Abbers - For 10 days and can't wait. I went last year and found this amazing family hotel, we liked it so much that I booked it for this year the day after I got back last year! Running there is hard though as there are some serious ups and downs, but least it will be warm and not windy. I remember my first 20 ever miler, it was around this time last year, I hated it.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Minni - Weds is 9 slow, Th 5 with 3 @ 6:40, Fri rest, Sat 4 easy, Sun 15 with 13 "brisk" in lieu of a HM anywhere nearby to enter. Thinking of trying to do that at something around mara pace, as there's no way I'll be running a race pace HM in training. Overall, it's a 39 mile cut back week. 

Ant - thanks for the input. I figured the schedule was written by people with a lot more knowledge and experience than me at this mara lark, and quite happy to go with it, but thought I'd check the thread wisdom! image

GM - sounds great. A bit of sun & warmth would be welcome! And the hills will make you stronger...

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lol Ant!  My prize list yesterday:

Mug with matching coaster
    Breakfast set: bowl, plate and mug
    2 x vouchers
    I protein bar

Today I've received a GNR rejection.  image image

• Abbers, my P&D cutback week also looks odd to me. I have, in fact, been reduced to the hi tech solution of printing it out and cutting it up and pushing bits of paper round on the table to sort out an order to do it in.

You see, I raced yesterday and P&D said 16 with 12 @ MP. Today is supposed to be a rest day but I want that at the weekend so did a 6 mile recovery today. [I actually planned a route that has Blue Peter Garden on google maps but didn't see it. Sesm it has been moved to Salford.] Considering it is a rest week, the other 5 runs are VO2 max (9 miles and 6 x 800 at 5k pace), 2 MLRs (11 and 15) and two general aerobics of 8 and 9, the 8 with 10 x 100m strides: no more recoveries!

It seems the P&D idea of a cut back is to average it all in the middle, so no short runs and no long runs.

• PMJ - I didn't care for it either when I did it last week, so I cut up one of the MLRs into a double. Seems strange to put your first VO2 max session in a cutback week

Great days work Minni -

Abbers - great effort!

GM - lucky blighter

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Rest day here- no choice I couldn't realistically run the way my legs feel.

Odd prizes Minni- looks like you'll be on the GNR hunt for a spare place this year too...

Never question your programme Abbersimage

• I wasn't saying P&D was wrong, only I had in my mind a week on the beach drinking cocktails and the P&D idea of a cutback is different, so it really is chopping the peaks and filling the troughs, so no mega hard sessions but no easy ones either: a lot more beige than usual.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - nah I won't bother. Unless I get one in my own name I'll give it a miss.

There's the Scottish HM in Edinburgh the day before and looking at the map I'd say it's the first half of the marathon route so very fast and 20 quid cheaper.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - you failed to put in your report if you feel that you had a good race or not, I'm assuming that you feel you did, as you always say that you didnt when you feel that you didnt...................and just so you dont need to chase me up tomorrow, my Jantastic total reflects all of the running I did last week.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    TR - I know you're not having a febulous time. image Hope there's some improvement this week.

Yes I'm pleased with the race. Last night I was on a bit of a downer because my hip hurt more than I wanted. I even contemplated ditching London. But today it's fine and when I ran tonight it didn't hurt at all.

One thing I did realise yesterday was I've missed doing runs like that - hilly challenging ones rather than choosing flat with PB potential. I'm going to do more of them.

And I've entered a team mountain marathon in June with 11 peaks of 2000ft or more. I've done it twice before but not for quite a few years. I think it's time to have more fun out there. image
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I enjoy hilly races too. The only time I caught people in yesterday race was on hills, which seems odd as I'm not a light weight. It's always tempting to go for the fast course. Luckily I love the Lakes where there is no flat.   

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - good to see your pecker up anyway. You need to want to run a flat race well in order to do so, once you crack that then you'll be fine and bag a load of PBs.

• No, no racing here, we were merely recce-ing (sp?) the course.

Minni, I'm so pleased to read better news from you! What bizarre prizes though.

• Great stuff Minni - delighted to see you're back in top form. Bet you'll be eating breakfast with a big grin on your face!

Cracking podium finish from PMJ - must have made the long trip over there well worthwhile.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Lorenzo, nice 21 there. What is the plan for the long ones? Bunch of 5x21s?

Not quite - I've got a couple of weekends off as we're away skiing, so the plan for weekend runs is as follows:

Week 15 (of 20): 22 easy
    Week 16: Surrey Half
    Week 17: 20 with 15 at 7:20
    Week 18: 23 easy
    Week 19: 18 at 7:30
    Week 20: 13 easy
    Race Week: cruise to 3:0x:xx!!!!

• Busy here. Great run PMJ.
    TR, I'd bet a couple more weeks of string.

Managed another 9 miles tonight. All good steady fun.

• Marrows - excelltent run - 17 with 12 @ MP is certainly a tough one in the middle of training, so don't fret.
    Abbers - well done on bagging that first 20 miler.
    Birch - good start to the week.
    GM - next you'll be heading off for high altitude training.
    Abbers - good session for leg turnover without having to put in too much prolonged effort.
    Minni - nice prizes! The team mountain marathon sounds like it could be a great experience.
    Blisters - good running.
    MLR day. 7M slow @ 8:36 m/m and 7M easy @ 7:47 m/m.

• Lorenzo wrote (see)
     the plan for weekend runs is as follows:

Week 15 (of 20): 22 easy
    Week 16: Surrey Half
    Week 17: 20 with 15 at 7:20
    Week 18: 23 easy
    Week 19: 18 at 7:30
    Week 20: 13 easy
    Race Week: cruise to 3:0x:xx!!!!

I see a 23 in there, what are other people doing for their longest runs? P&D for my 5 biggest has 21 and 20 (done already), 22 next week in a 70 mile week, then one more 20 but I am also taking the 18 with 14@MP and making it 20@MP at Finchley to get the OCD 5 20 milers in this thread needs.

• PMJ - The OCD has it that your five longest runs should total 100M or more, so following P&D you get that.

• Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

PMJ - The OCD has it that your five longest runs should total 100M or more, so following P&D you get that.

I know, only I am a bit of a woos and prefer 20 with a number on my vest than a solo 18 with a hard middle.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

3 x 20s & 2 x 21s done in last 8 weeks. Intend 3 more in next 4 weeks (one of 23), then 4 weeks to race (which I haven't entered yet  . . . . . )

• That's some distance Birch - time to sign up and cash in.

Interesting chat on hilly races as I don't care for hilly routes in race mode at all. Maybe need to actually consider targeting them a bit more.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Longest long runs are 4 x 20 and 1 x 22. Seems to measure up to perceived wisdom.

Steady miles noted from Blisters & Gul. Keep on trucking.

Yet another rubbish wet & windy morning here today. Forecast says it might brighten up a bit in time for the lunchtime intervals, so hope it's right. OO-51: you're right. Never question the plan (or the collected thread wisom) image  15 x 200 it is.

• (de-lurks)

So PMJ, you are planning 20@ MP 5 weeks before VLM? Isn't that more than most people would recommend?

I'm doing Bramley 20 on Sunday, 7 weeks before Brighton. I was thinking of trying a few (last 5?) miles at TMP, but I'm wary of overdoing it, and I'd be interested in what people think is sensible. I'm loosely following P&D sub55, more like sub50 in my case. Last five weeks have been 48,50,50,48,38 miles with LRs of 18,19,20,17,16inc12@TMP. First three of those are the longest runs I've ever done!

• LR: last time I did Bramley as about 6M easy, 6M @ MP + 10% and 7M @MP.  It's a really good way of doing a race as you spend the entire time over-taking people.  It gives you a decent workout without tiring you too much.  The only time I did 20 @ MP it left me wiped out.  It does work for some, but not me.

Say hello, as I'm there doing the 10M option (always assuming Bramley isn't under water by then...!).

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I do two or three runs of about 22 miles.  One down, a couple to go.

• The current version of my schedule has 7 x 20 milers. I plan to do a couple of them as time on feet runs, so might stretch to 21-22 miles depending on how slow I go!