RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant!  image  Poor you.  Has that put you off cyling in the city?

Freemers - great race and good to hear you're feeling confident.

That seems a sensible idea 2old using different shoes.

I admit I was on a bit of a downer last night because I was worried about my hip.  It nagged the whole time I was running yesterday and I thought I'd be back to square one today.  However, it now feels fine. image

• Some great racing over the weekend in horrid conditions!

Daren- very speedy especially with the headwind in the last few miles- not what you need!

KFC- whoop whoop on the pb. Sub 1.30 will be yours very soon in normal conditions.

2Old- very impressive pace on the 10k. 88m??? So who's the mileage monster?image

Carrot- congrats on the bling- well deserved.

Minni- very good result yesterday and it sounds like you enjoyed it despite the hills and the wind and the rain... Glad to hear the hip is playing ball today.

Free- great HM and very consistent pacing (minus the wind).

((AA))- scary stuff with the flooding, hope you're ok. Take care.

Ant- ouch! Glad to hear it's nothing more serious and you're back in the game. Strong MP run from you.

My xc on Saturday was rather unpleasant. Very strong wind combined with tones of mud and freezing water... I couldn't feel my toes after the first lap. I think I'm glad the xc season is over!

Yesterday was 10m steady, again into the wind so harder work than intended. Rest today.

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Pinklady - glad to hear you have another half marathon lined up.

Barry - bad news on the calf. Hopefully icing will sort it out.

kfc - great time in the half marathon. All looking good for VLM. I do that 10 with 8 at MP most weeks. I try to keep the effort the same and hope that I see an improvement in pace as the weeks progress. I think i have plateaued though as pace has been the same the last 2 weeks and only improved by 1s from the week before that.

Daren - that's a fast time in tough conditions. Well done.

Simon -  bad news on the ankle

2old - great 10k.

Carrot - well deseved trophy

Brolish - you are in great form. Looking forward to see what you can do in your marathon.

Minni - strong performance in the half marathon. Congrats on the prize.

Freemers - that's a good time in the half marathon. A very good confidence booster.

Doug / Fazza - welcome

Poor running from me at the weekend. I did parkrun on Saturday morning and was well off pace. Tonight is 10m with 8 @ MP.

• Some great racing at the weekend TM.

Congrats on the PB kfc - brilliant time from you. Well done Minni and 2Old too, on excellent efforts on tough courses. Freemers - great time from you too and nice to catch up with you briefly - that wind was horrific, wasn't it?

Carrot - congrats on the well-deserved bling!

Bro - sounds like a horrible cross country - can't say I've been won over by cross country running this winter. Was lovely to be back on a nice flat road yesterday!

Barry, oh no! Finger crossed the injury isn't anything too serious.

Ant, sounds like a nightmare. Glad you're ok now.

Welcome to Doug and Fazza.

Official results from Great Bentley have given me a second back, so 1:28:09 for 80th out of about 800 I think. Pretty pleased with that, as it's very much a club runners' race, with very few fun runners. Will hopefully do a bit of a race report if I get time tonight.

Currently loving the fact the Winter Olympics are on this week to get me in the mood for Tignes next week!

• Daren - did you spot that the beanie hat they gave out had "Great Bentley Half Marathon 2013" on it? At least, mine did! Maybe I'll get the 2014 one next year image

Ant - nightmare for you. Must be pretty painful to run iff you're all bruised?

Barry - sorry forgot to say how gutted I am your calf has given out once again. I really hope you can get some quick treatment and better shoes, so that you can still bang out a fast time in the marathon. You really deserve to get a good time.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-I know what you mean having a niggle that hangs around and comes and goes-my right achilles. However Im reasonably happy that its not getting worse and it allows me to get my training done. Still hope it clears for you soon

Bro-those tough XC will have enhanced your running power and strength..looking forward to seeinghow yopur training regime peaks after the taper

Col-dont worry about one weekend and you still got a run in anyway ,The body needs a rest now and then

Darren-top 10% in a field of serious runners is pretty good to say the least. Jealous of your Tignes trip-tempted to book a long weekend but really want to concentrate on my running training too.

Free-useful hat even if out of date

13miles on the TM today(watching Olympics and ManUvFulham game at same time)--7.49mm av

• old4speed wrote (see)

Chick: you really must try a few ultras with the miles you put in - you could do a whole week's running in one day and eat as much cake as you like.

Very tempting, O4S image   I will turn to ultras in the next couple of years. Still chasing a few PBs but time is ticking away and age is catching up :-/

Nice and well deserved win, carrot.

KFC and Freemers: proper hardcore HMs there. Fab times in rough conditions image   Sub 1:30 next time on the flatimage

Wow Minni, that’s dedication to get to a race! But an excellent and long overdue confidence boost. I hope your hip issue is a bit similar to mine. It’s there but it doesn’t stop me from running. And it’s bearable. The last few miles of a long one always hurt and it hurts afterwards too but is usually gone within a few hours.

Hehehe, 2old: hope you enjoyed the bragging

Ouch, Ant! Glad to hear you are OK now.

Bro: sounds mighty unpleasant. My muddy long run on Saturday gave me a bit of an idea of an XC … thanks but no thanksimage

Bit of a failed session for me today. As the week's weather looks horrid from midweek onwards I thought I'd do the hardest sesh today (10 with 5 @ tempo) but I soon found out that the MP effort was still in me legs. They were like jelly. And my HR wouldn't budge - it sat at 160 (and it needs to be between 163-168). So I turned it into a MLR instead. In the end I did 13.5 miles @ 8mm.

• Chick - Good sesh there, have you got some snow on the way?

Minni - At least with a 3hr bus trip home, you could have a good kipimage. Well done on the race btw. I presume like all of us injured runners, resting isn't an option this close to D-day re the hip.

Ant - Sorry to hear about your accident, we can swap battered face photos. I hope you  got their details for compoimage. Was your bike ok btw?

• O4S 40 years is along time - congratulations

Daren That's brilliant, well done

2Old Not planning a Tri at the moment although it's something I wouldn't mind taking part in eventually. Haven't ruled out trying an open water swim during the summer.image Nice 10k race there in terrible conditions

KFC Good race time from you but sorry to hear about BH

Carrot Congratulations on the club award which was well deserved & nice 22 miles

Minni well done on your race & for coping with six hours in a bus. Glad the hip is ok

Freemers well done to you as well in difficult conditions

Ant that's terrible news

Good luck with the 10m Col

Simon How's the ankle?

A bit of a trainer relay for me yesterday. 3 miles in my old ones then changed into my new ones for another 3 miles. Everything seems ok with them at the moment. I usually wear Brooks GTS but the GTS 14's have been recalled so I have Brooks Trance. Feel for Barry & hopefully he will be sorted tomorrow (sad face).

Keeping an eye on the Dorney website as things are not so great in that area at the moment so not sure if the race will be cancelled at the weekend. ((another sad face))

Did have a nice surprise today - one of my friends met me for lunch & gave me our Christmas Presents image

• Freemers - what a confidence booster! Well done. Loving the retro beanie!

chick - made the best of a decent session then! 

Minni - look after your hip. Glad it feels ok. 

Ant - sounds like a nightmare but least you're back training and haven't lost any speed!!

04S - hope your ultra went ok.

6 miles for me today. My foot has started to ache again image bit worried. 

I'm so bloody sick of this weather now. The weekend was full of road closures. The canal has burst is banks and is causing chaos. Fortunately our village is at the top of a hill (always hate it at the end of a long run!) but at least it means we don't flood but wherever we go means we have to go through one at the moment!! 

• 5 mile recovery run tonight, legs grumbled at the start but got progressively faster so pleased with that.

pink: BA would tell you that 40 years is a life sentence. I would say serves him right for never asking me to marry him (we are of course married but that is another story - and no I didn't ask him)

Ant: sounds nasty, but most importantly - how is the bike????

Nice runs Minni and Freemers and congrats on the award Carrot

Good Luck tomorrow Barry, hope you find out what it is

AA: I've sent you some water-wings!

• Flipping heck Ant, that's awful, hope you're ok after that image That's a really good training run done at the weekend so you sound recovered?

That sounds like a tough day out kfc, well done for sticking at it and bagging that second place image

Well done at Liversedge Minni - good to hear there were no passing out / vomiting / hip cramping incidents! Northumberland HM will seem flat compared to that course.  Happy days with the hip image

That's a good strong run Free, there's nothing more soul destroying than a headwind in the last few miles of a race.  If that doesn't toughen you up nothing will! You should be very confident after that.

Thinking of you AA, it's awful seeing what's happening down your way image

Not long now Bro! image How is the taper going?

Don't be so hard on yourself Col, they can't all go to plan.  At least with parkrun you can always go back next week and hammer out another one.

Well done on the top 10% Daren! Good going in a strong field. 

Good call on the run Chick. Tempo running is hard at the best of times, I usually need a few days to psych myself up for one!

Hope you get sorted tomorrow Barry. You need to be fit and well for Barcelona! Hope you've been icing and rolling. 

Fingers crossed for Dorney at the weekend Pink.

Rest day today, typical when it's been calm and clear outside all day. 

• Pink/2old - Ankle/achilles ok, but that's cus I'm resting it and icing. Will try a shorter run Wed-Thur and see how it is!

• Great Bentley HM report...

On a still day, this would be a perfect fast, flat PB course. But this was far from a still day and the open countryside setting was bound to mean the strong wind was going to make for a difficult race at times. I had decided not to set myself a specific target, but aimed to set off at 6:40mm and see how it felt. As it happened, I felt so good during the early stages that, however hard I tried to rein it in, I couldn't help but get pulled along by the crowd. I went through mile 1 in 6:23. Too fast. I should be worried I thought, but I didn't feel it, because I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable running a mile at that speed. Mile 2 was nearly as quick in 6:28 and, feeling relaxed and confident, I decided to just go with it and run by feel.

Miles 3 and 4 had some tougher sections into the wind, so slowed to 6:43 and 6:40, but I then put in a couple of 6:28s for 5 and 6 which had some nice tailwind sections. I had the first ominous twinges of a stitch around this stage, but by focusing on relaxing my upper body and not forcing it, I managed to keep them in check and this tactic worked for the whole race. I had a quick chat with a guy I was running alongside during mile 6 (I never would have thought it possible to 'chat' at 6:28mm pace before!) and he asked me what me target was. When I said my PB, he said I was going to smash it. To be honest, at this stage, running as fast as I was and feeling as comfortable as I did, I was sure I would.
  • I'd been gradually drawing in a couple of my clubmates who beat me at the Benfleet 15 a few weeks ago and at the 7-mile marker (6:33) I passed them both. Still feeling strong, I pushed on, catching and passing a couple more runners as I went through miles 8 and 9 in 6:33 and 6:34.

Then came mile 10. Hideous. We turned directly into a brutal headwind and, having studied the course beforehand, I knew we had two miles solid of this to come and with the field strung out by this stage, I was on my own. I'd just breezed past a guy from Felixstowe RR before the turn, but he gradually worked his way back alongside me and I was quite happy to let him pass and just try to cling on to his tail. Those two miles were 7:09 and 7:01.

The relief when we finally turned out of the wind was wonderful and I pushed on again. The Felixstowe bloke encouraged me to go for it as I went back past him, which was nice. I knew my gf and parents were waiting at mile 11 and it really spurred me on to see them. Mile 12 was back on track with a 6:39, but I was finding it really tough by now and thoughts of PBs were replaced by thoughts of just getting to the line once we'd turned back into that headwind for the final mile.

A couple of runners passed me, but I had nothing left - the last mile was a 7:03, which meant I just missed out on a PB by 23 seconds, but given the conditions, I'm more than happy with that. I felt from my training that I was back to where I was before my injury and finally I have a result to prove it! (Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I went through 10k faster than I completed any of my autumn 10ks!)

• And yes, my beanie is a retro one too Freemers!

• Daren - great race report....made me feel those last few miles all over again.

I have a cold now. I woke up Sunday with a tickly throat but felt fine, but yesterday afternoon I started to feel terrible. Today is worse - thankfully I have a rest day anyway although I couldn't wangle a day off work as I have to be in Leeds for a client and it would be a pain to re-schedule. So hopefully I can catch some sleep on the train and be OK for the rest of the week.
  • It is like the end of the world here - howling wind, lashing rain, interesting cycle commute!  image

• Free- boo, hope you manage to get rid of the stinking cold.

Daren- great race report. I struggle to comprehend how you can chat while running at those paces.image Very impressive.

Pink- hope the weather cooperates for you on Sunday.

Barry- fingers crossed the calf gets sorted on time.

Chick- still a good session, you will nail that tempo next time no doubt.

2x 25min runs for me today. Not sure it's worth getting changed for that... Feel like I'm all tapered now and ready to go. Wish I could fast forward by a week!

• Daren - great report.

Freemers - hope you feel better later.

Bro - taper madness!! enjoy it image

O4S - its terrible here too. Hope you got in ok. I'm due to be taking the boy to Exeter Uni tomorrow. But the trains I booked have turned into buses because of flooded tracks and landslides, or I could drive... through Somerset!! I need a boat to get there I reckon!! I might go drive round Bramley on Friday and check out the course for you...

• Oh wow, you guys really have it bad this time image  you need a bunch of Dutch engineers to drain the place ...  I think the only way is a helicopter, AA ... hope the foot behaves!

Sorry to hear you picked up a cold, Freemers. Hope you can shake it. Get out the day and night nurseimage

Excellent report, Daren. Pesky wind. Amazing you lost only 23 secs against your PB. I always go through the first 10k of a half faster than any 10k PB image

Oh dear Bro. Although I'm knackered today I still don't look forward to taper time.

15 miles done this morning. Sadist plan image  why did they put the two MLRs back to back?? Anyway, glad I survived. I felt pretty knackered afterwards though. Pace was only 8:30ish but I was just too tired to go any faster.

• AA: I had to abandon my trip to Exeter Uni last week and was hoping to go on Thursday this week [my niece is down there].  Debating the wisdom of it........Are you still planning to do Bramley?

Free:  take it easy

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Get that night nurse knocked into you Freemers.

Chick - you're doing really well with your training - you make me feel tired just reading about it.

AA - good for your openwater swimming though...?image

Great report Daren. Looks like that PB is just around the corner.

Brolish - I hate the waiting time in the taper too.  Its too easy to feel like all the fitness is slipping away.  Stay strong!

Very pleased to report I am feeling better than I have done in weeks so time to knuckle down to some hard training for a few weeks, me thinks.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-great news-possibly edge your way back in carefully?

Bro-get over it! What I would give to be taperng now.

Free-can we have a pic of the beenie hat please

O4S-looks pretty disasterous down your way.Hope your house is on a hill

Chick-are you doing the training plan from hell? Good on you sticking to it and piling up the miles

Daren-great report with some controlled racing there.What Minni says re PB

AA-hope the foot is just grumbling with all the miles done. Good thing you have aTM to fall back on. You remind me that I need to check up with a friend who lives down your way that all is ok.

Simon-good luck Weds-I noticed that your race is early April...not long . Are you still using your minamilist running shoes?

10mile TM session watching the sprint cross country and ran through all the semis for men and women and the finals. Alternated bit slower than HM pace and MP ,final average 7.09mm.Not easy

• Now on the train about to start the journey home. Survived the meeting but my head is pounding and my sinuses are killing me. Doped up on drugs though....

Minni - glad you're feeling better, now get out and train!

Chick - your training plan is mental image

Bro - not long now!
  • Poor you, Freemers. Look after yourself. Can you take a day off tomorrow? I find sleeping things off seems to do the trick.

This week is indeed mental, I agree. I can't remember having done this before and looking thru my training log I haven't! Last year I spaced the runs more evenly and did 10/8/15 instead of 15/13/8. Oh well, at least I did the sessions in dry conditions and very little wind. The rest of the week is a write-off so I'm glad I have only shorter sessions to do image

Excellent news, Minni

• Free- if you were anywhere near me right now you would be getting evil looks! Hope you feel better soon.

Chick- mental week indeed. Enjoy a few easier days.image

2Old- good pace on that TM session.

• Simon - a black-eye-off. I think I was quite lucky and didn't suffer any other injuries apart from my face I could even run!

O4S/Simon: I think the bike is fine. May need new forks cos they are carbon and after a prang they may be weaker. Luckily I have another bike in the garage!

Minni: i'm a hardy soul and will continue to ride in London, however I am now on a steel fully rigid MTB with disk brakes, which seems a good idea in this weather.

Bro: I have our last XC of the season this weekend. I hope the whole thing isn't flooded! Our team is set for a clean sweep.

MLR back from work today for me. Still to come unfortunately!

• Minni - great news you're back and well!

o4S - yes I am planning on doing it if it's on, and my foot is ok , and my left hammy niggle is ok. And I make it to Exeter and back in time!image

freemers - get home and dose up (())

2old - nice session on the TM