Options

Floods

So it rains.

A lot.

So why should anyone be blamed?

🙂

Comments

• Options

Just be careful who you blame. You can't just deny it all the next day. Oh. hang on. Apparently you can. What a pickle!!

• Options

to dredge or no to dredge, that is the question. no idea.

the one thing we can all agree on is that it's enjoyable to make fun of a person's weight.

• Options

You don't hear too many flood experts saying the EA have done anything wrong though. 

• Options

I think it's probably the weather's fault.

Seriously though, I don't think there was any avoiding most of this, it's been the wettest period for 200 years or something silly like that.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Still the Government's fault Flob - they allowed gay marriage so the country is being punished by God for it.

I assume that means that there are more gay marriages in the South West than there are anywhere else in the country?  Anyone have the statistics?

There have obviously been no gay marriages where I live, as we have no flooding.

Does that mean that heterosexual couples all live on hills?

I think I'll go and take my medication now..................

• Options

Building on flood planes doesn't help the situation

• Options

I blame Event Clips.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I think it's probably the weather's fault.

Bizarre to watch Chris Smith have to explain this to Paxman in exactly those words on Newsnight last night.

My wife is from overseas, and she often comments on how bizarre she finds the British media's obsession with finding someone to blame for everything that happens.

Having said that, I think it's Shithaus kitchens of Warrington.  Too many well-tiled kitchens has resulted in too much water running off surfaces and into the drainage system.  The directors should resign.

• Options
    Have they had the rainfall the South has had though ? Its OK up in the North of England - and I don't think our water management has been any better than the South of England ?
  • Options

I live in London.

We have had a plastic container, about 12" tall, that had a small Christmas tree in it, sitting outside the back door since about a week before Christmas.

In that time it has got filled to the top twice. That's two feet of rain in  9 weeks and we haven't had anywhere near the worst of the weather and aren't having flooding problems.

So yes, dredging and whatnot might have helped initially but overall there has just been far too much rain for anyone to manage.

• Options
    Ja5onW wrote (see)

They have special flood planes down south?

You would think provided they could still take off that it would be the perfect solution for avoiding floods?

• Options
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
    Ja5onW wrote (see)

They have special flood planes down south?

You would think provided they could still take off that it would be the perfect solution for avoiding floods?

The problem is that once you add an extension you ruin the aerodynamics.

• Options

Like Dachs is comment - I watched an interview with a woman the other night who has lost part of her garden when it fell into the sea - she seemed to blame everyone for that - including the builders for building to close to the cliff edge - what it didn't seem to occur to her was that no one (presumably) forced her to buy the property.

• Options

I blame all those folk living in houses with impermeable roofs and roads,  farmers clearing vegetation and draining land and developers canalizing watercourses to increase space.

Holland has spent an absolute fortune on flood defence over the years though including the relocation of vulnerable residents. Much of it now considered to be inadequate to protect against predicted increases in rainfall intensity and sea level changes, so another several billion euros will be need just to keep up with the effects of climate change.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

....and where was the edge of the cliff when the house was built?  Some cliffs have receeded by miles over the last 100 years or so.

(If it was a new build, please ignore my comment......image)

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

I blame the jetstream.

And the wind.

And clouds.

And the sun.

And the people who should have dredged but didn't.

And the people who bought houses on flood plains.

And gravity.

And God (if any).

That about covers it.

Instead of blaming the people who bought houses on flood plains, I'd blame those who granted planning permission for houses to be built on flood plains in the first place. 

And I might include people who instisted on installation of flood defences - just moves the problem elsewhere.

• Options

If you are in Wales or the north west your turn is coming I'm afraid...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26153889

• Options

I just used the word "resplendent" in some copy. Quite pleased with that image

• Options
    Its a bit blowy in the NW today - but nothing out of the ordinary - yet...
  • Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I just used the word "resplendent" in some copy. Quite pleased with that image

It was not in relation to the weather I hasten to add, which is dire...

• Options

Surely if it was an act of god, someone somewhere would be building an ark and poulating it with animals