Exhausted 'burn out' after first 5K race.

Hi there

Completed my first 5K race on Saturday and think I've burnt myself out!

I'm fairly new to running - since I learned to run 6 months ago, I have ran 5K comfortably countless times, albeit at a very steady pace, several times a week. I'm used to doing 5k three times a week and perhaps an additional 3K if time allows. But...the race on Saturday was my first timed running event. A very difficult course with a killer of a hill but managed it and got a PB, knocking 5 minutes off my usual finishing time image

However, the afternoon after the race I felt exhausted. Also - I had lost my appetite, was irritable and slept on the couch for 3 hours. I am also recovering from a bad cold which has left me with a cough....that hasn't helped, I'm sure!

Today, day after race (and I realise now this perhaps wasn't a good idea)....I ran a short 3K run with muscle aches, low motivation and a pulled muscle feeling in my foot, feeling exhausted and then slept four hours on the couch again when I got home. I still feel shattered and I know I've probably done too much! image

I'd greatly appreciate any tips or advice from any experienced runners. How can I get over a burnout like this? Any tips on after-care after a race? I usually run on an empty stomach - bad idea?

Thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It's probably the cold combined with the run that is causing the trouble. Wait until you have got rid of the cold and then start back on the running.

Pushing yourself when you have a virus is never a good idea. Best to loose a couple of days training seeing off the cold than loosing a week or two after trying to run through it.
  • Take a week off, chill out, relax, but make sure you have in your diary a run for next weekend, so you don't get out of the habit of running image 

• Agree with Millsy and booktrunk - but do listen to your body... feel better and get back to steady running, but if you continue to be exhausted even after you're fully over your cold consider getting tested for anaemia - and not just iron defficiency but also B12 defficiency.

You are probably fine - but from experience, I felt similar to how you're describing for a long time... even went as far as running a half marathon, and eventually found out I was running with severe B12 defficiency - not ideal! image
  • indiekid wrote (see)

Hi there

Completed my first 5K race on Saturday and think I've burnt myself out!

I'm fairly new to running - since I learned to run 6 months ago, I have ran 5K comfortably countless times, albeit at a very steady pace, several times a week. I'm used to doing 5k three times a week and perhaps an additional 3K if time allows. But...the race on Saturday was my first timed running event. A very difficult course with a killer of a hill but managed it and got a PB, knocking 5 minutes off my usual finishing time image

However, the afternoon after the race I felt exhausted. Also - I had lost my appetite, was irritable and slept on the couch for 3 hours. I am also recovering from a bad cold which has left me with a cough....that hasn't helped, I'm sure!

Today, day after race (and I realise now this perhaps wasn't a good idea)....I ran a short 3K run with muscle aches, low motivation and a pulled muscle feeling in my foot, feeling exhausted and then slept four hours on the couch again when I got home. I still feel shattered and I know I've probably done too much! image

I'd greatly appreciate any tips or advice from any experienced runners. How can I get over a burnout like this? Any tips on after-care after a race? I usually run on an empty stomach - bad idea?

Thank you very much in advance!

I do not think it is burnout from running, but exhaustion because you are ill.

Do not run again until you are completely over your cold, because you can end up putting a strain on your heart, it is better to recover completely and then you will be back into it all within the week.

I hope you recover asap, just be kind to yourself and get better xxx

• Millsy1997

I'm so grateful for your reply. Thank you so much.

Yes - learned an important lesson here - don't run when you're clearing out a cold!

I was tempted to do a little run when I got in tonight but decided against it (the cough is still lingering) and me and the girlies have decided to step out for 6K on Wednesday after a couple days rest image

thanks so much again

S x 

• Booktrunk

Great advice, thank you very much indeed.

Yes - I'm going to do it again this weekend and will also venture out mid week.

Thank you so much

S image x

• Little Nell

Thank you - that's interesting because one of my bosses (an experienced runner!) mentioned this to me today!

I shall do further research on this.

I do hope you are feeling better too! Did you notice a big difference once you started to treat the deficiency?

thanks again!

s imagex

• Thanks, Lotus Flower.

Advice I will accept and will remember for future runs. I'm still very new to running - this is the first time I've thought....I think I've pushed myself a bit too far image

appreciate your advice, thanks

s x image

• Nick Windsor 4

It's a shame you felt it appropriate to respond to a new forum member in this manner, when the other posters were so welcoming.

I hope anyone looking in will focus on the kind and helpful individuals that offered their time and advice and not feel intimidated by the manner in which you posted.

Thanks again, everyone!

I will be asking the other girls who I run with and who also reported feeling a little wobbly to look in!

• Nick responding innapropriate..never!  Weird has thenpost been deleted? Anyway good luck indiekid a few days off are heaven sent !

• Oh and booktrunk has some real life learned advice so take heed ... Shes my favourite poster... Check her history out...inspiring!!!! image

• Shedboy wrote (see)

Nick responding innapropriate..never!  Weird has thenpost been deleted? Anyway good luck indiekid a few days off are heaven sent !

It has. Which is weird.

• They deleted your post Nick?  Didn't think it was worthy of deletion!

• I'm thinking the OP must have reported it. I cant see that anyone who has been around for a while would have thought it was worthy of cazzing.

• All he said was man up it's a 5k!  No swearing, nothing nasty!  

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Wow, they are taking a hard line these days.

They will be really busy if "man-up" is now deemed to be abusive.
  • That's what I thought.  Who deletes the posts?  RW or mods?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure.

I'm starting to worry now as I advised someone that running 4 times a week would be better than 3. Hope I haven't contravened the new rules.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Right, that's it. I'm telling!!
  • Oh man up Millsy image

Did Ben tell you why he deleted it Nick?

• Cinders wrote (see)

All he said was man up it's a 5k!  No swearing, nothing nasty!  

You getting soft in your old age Nick ?

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Yes he did, not specifically it was rather a weak kneed comment, to quote:

"I received some reports about your post in the ' Exhausted 'burn out' after first 5K race' thread. It was unnecessary and I have deleted it."

"Some" reports. I doubt that very much.