Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• SG, I reckon your recent run of races with no PB may be down to mental as much as physical. Look at Samir, putting it on the line. I know last week I was very nervous as Wokingham drew closer simply because it was a big race and there was an expectation to deliver.

I think by making under cover sorties to races well outside your patch you are depriving yourself of a lot of the stimulus you need to race 100% and therefore PB. There is no expectation from the thread, no familiar faces to chase (so look at something like Marlow where you had EoG to chase)  and no real pressure so when it starts to hurt it is easy to find an excuse and back off a bit.

Go on, be Samir for a while at 50% volume and pick a race and announce it and heap a little pressure on yourself to deliver: bet you will.

• Phil has a point with the race psychology. We invest in each other here and a PB or a good performance is a way of paying out. Nobody likes to disappoint. 

Bus, with 5-6mi you could get a semi decent track session in the middle,  though I guess it depends on whether the pain comes back at speed. Not really much you can do tempo wise.

Good swim Nikki. How long do the 200s take? 

• Blimey Nikki - you don't do things by half do you! That's a big swim session to kick off with!

Iron, I agree - just need to be able to get to a track image. Speed didn't seem to set it off before and will be doing some reps lunchtime tomorrow (gales permitting!). I haven't actually entered Hillingdon yet for that very reason - a 10k might be a better plan.

SG - for what its worth, I also think Philip has a point. Worth putting some pressure on yourself sometimes - worth a try anyway?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good luck Nikki, don't do anything silly.

Shite run for me tonight. Attempted 11 with 7 @ HMP. Tough session, but i didn't get the chance to find out how tough, because after 2 miles of 5:50 pace feeling almost flat out, I just couldnt continue with it. Salvaged something from it by adding 3 mile reps, but they were untimed, because I do not wish to know how appallingly slow they were. Hopefully I'm just tired, cos otherwise Ive massively misjudged my level of fitness.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good pyramid running by Bus, btw, always nice to see a 5:xx appear when youve started with 7s.

SG isnt listening cos he's preparing for a 100 mile ultra.

• Ha ha Dachs! I heard he's in Kenya with Mo preparing for London? image Don't worry about the tempo run. 7 mile at HMP is just disgraceful! Way to go salvaging something from the day! You know how it is, can't walk one day, next day killing reps, then back to 8min/mile pace being tempo effort! Roll with the punches!

I planned to move Friday's rest to today but hit a 5miles recovery instead. Will still run Friday though. Feel like the lurgy is leaving me slowly.

Deano, Seb, I'm in for the Nationals... can't miss out of that race. The atmosphere is crazy! Be nice to see you fellas!

• And, RE Phil's advice I'd have to agree. Expectation and competitive pride are very powerful motivators. Remember the 3K last year!? Tell people you're training well (if you are), throw a target out and give it beans! Do you think the morning sessions have played a role? I know you had a rejig to free up time, but are you getting the most out of your running so early? I only talk from my point of view where I can't walk for the first 2 hours of each day!

• Stevie see wrote (see)

Deano, Seb, I'm in for the Nationals... can't miss out of that race. The atmosphere is crazy! Be nice to see you fellas!

I went over to Wollaton Park to do a recce of the course at the weekend. The start is a slightly uphill field full of molehills. Then it seems to go through a narrow gap in a fence, so I'm hoping they will take some of it down. A detour up a tiny pointless hill then round the side of a slope with ridiculous camber, a nice downhill bit, some slightly narrow twisty paths, then the rest was pretty okay until a deeper-than-it-looks stream full of thick, gloopy black mud. Then back to the molehills. X3 for you guys, probably.

• Sounds like a piece of piss! image

• Dachs wrote (see)

Good luck Nikki, don't do anything silly.

Shite run for me tonight. Attempted 11 with 7 @ HMP. Tough session, but i didn't get the chance to find out how tough, because after 2 miles of 5:50 pace feeling almost flat out, I just couldnt continue with it. Salvaged something from it by adding 3 mile reps, but they were untimed, because I do not wish to know how appallingly slow they were. Hopefully I'm just tired, cos otherwise Ive massively misjudged my level of fitness.

So after Blasting Woky this would be a cut back week, right? So even though Woky was binned, you've a fair few weeks of quality under your belt. Is it time for a cut back week? Keep an eye out for sniffles and sneezes too.

• Dachs, bad sessions come and go, put it behind you. I seem to recall you didn't do Wokingham but then chucked in some catch up sessions and a monster commute in what really should be a cut back week. Even allowing for not racing Wokingham, you did the hard bit in the training and it is hardly surprising you are tired. We need you fit for Readingimage

mini-bus at lunchtime. 6x800m off lap jog recovery at 5k pace. Not looking forward to it at all but put it out here so I at least get it done. Early may miss the worst of the rain.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I had a cut-back week last week really, because I did a mini-taper for Wokingham.  So only 54 miles, with virtually no quality.  But you're right, some tiredness creeping in maybe.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - easy for me to say but you just had one of those sessions.  you have done all the work, a bit of rest and you will carry on where you left off, which was flying.

last night our track was icing over and snowy so we moved the session to the road.

6*4mins off 2 recovery.  target was 5.20 pace but i found them coming out between 5.14-5.24.  last few were 5.14's so it wasnt fatigue causing the fluctuation, just a case of getting used to the long reps again after so many months off. 

Stevie S - see you at notts. course sounds a delight. image

Bus - a good pyramid session

Nikki - you always seem to be on the go, not a fan of resting?image

• Just one of those sessions Dachs, as others have said. Not one to worry about.

Dean - very good reps given the time off from long ones!

Just about to head out now. Was going to do reps, but may cry off them as the wind here is very strong and building and the place i do reps is very exposed!

• Did the goose shit track sessions, 6x800m and they came out as 3:08, 3:03, 3:01, 3:01, 2:59 2:57.

The wind was really bad, almost stopping me on the home straight and blowing me so fast down the back straight I was almost falling forwards, massively uneven 200m splits of about 40 and 50 seconds. First one was a bit rusty and I took it far too easy over the first 200 but the others came in nicely.

Two other runners out, one doing P&D 70-85 and doing the exact same 6x800m session but off 600m jog whereas I was doing it off 400m jog. The other gets my nomination for weird runner of the week award (WROTWA): he had one sock on and the other foot was bare and he was running diagonals on the football pitch in the middle of the track. Once he had finished, he put on socks and trainers and cycled away.

Chucking it down here now so smug with the early start.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

The other gets my nomination for weird runner of the week award (WROTWA): he had one sock on and the other foot was bare and he was running diagonals on the football pitch in the middle of the track. Once he had finished, he put on socks and trainers and cycled away.

Just so I can visualise - was he running with no running shoes?  Just one sock?  That is weird.  Worthy WROTWA nomination.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I suppose I should mention my own session from yesterday. 

Training has been mainly strength work of late and with a race coming up in a couple of weeks thought it might be time to speed things up.

So 5 x 600m off 1 minute recovery. Average time of 2:25 wasn't too bad in the wind and rain.

And mud!

🙂

• Exactly, no running shoes, one sock (black and with holes in it: I was truly fascinated and was trying to work out if it was some five fingers thing or a sock). It was a cold and windy lunchtime and I had long top and gloves etc but he had shorts and singlet and was doing chin ups every time he passed the goal posts (so the old run diagonal fast and jog the ends).

• Perhaps he had athletes foot image. Odd anyway!

Horrible out there - felt like I'd been sandblasted with the rain, sleet and hale blowing sideways!

No time for hanging about, so a quick 6 miles with the 5th mile done at 5:45 just for the hell of it!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Exactly, no running shoes, one sock (black and with holes in it: I was truly fascinated and was trying to work out if it was some five fingers thing or a sock). It was a cold and windy lunchtime and I had long top and gloves etc but he had shorts and singlet and was doing chin ups every time he passed the goal posts (so the old run diagonal fast and jog the ends).

Haha - sounds like an amazing watch.  I'm surprised you managed to concentrate on your reps with that going on.

• Good sessions everybody. I'm jealous! haha. Reps looked good Phil. Hate the wind!

Dachs, like all above have said.. bad sessions happen.

Thanks for all the kind words/advise on here. Day 2 of resting is a little tetchy, every time I see someone running I get instantly p*ssed off! haha.

Another hour in the pool. 750m warm up, then 'lactic tolerance reps' 6 x 100m off 45sec rest.. but not sure I'm really a good enough swimmer to build up any lactate! (Iron, pace for these was about 1:56 - 1:58/100m... so v slow. I'm rubbish!) Then 10min constant aqua jogging, 5 x 1min off 30s and 300m swim down.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nikki, can't you just go for a swim?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Nikki - in the space of 3 lines of your post you type "day 2 of resting"....then go to mention "lactic reps" in the pool.  So which was it? a rest day or quality? image

• Dachs wrote (see)

Nikki, can't you just go for a swim?

Puts my half hour front crawl I do when I go into perspective! When I go swimming I just want to get in, get it done, get out! Nikki - your reps pace deosn't seem rubbish to me!

• Haha! It's swimming! It is practically the same as resting. I should have rephrased... rest from running.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

but you said you are trying to do lactic tolerance reps whilst swimming...doesnt sound like rest if you are trying to work that hard.  but each to there own image  i guess the only way to see if it is working is if your race times come down otherwise you are training to an end rather than training to a PB or as my coach says leaving your best stuff on the track and not in a race.  you definately train a lot harder than me though so fair play to your committment image

• Nikki G wrote (see)

2 of resting is a little tetchy, every time I see someone running I get instantly p*ssed off! haha.

This happened to me when I sprained my ankle (and had post-viral fatigue) - I actually wanted to swear at runners!

Reading about everyone's sessions is making me feel even more smug that I looked at the weather forecast and deliberately did mine at 7am along the canal towpath before the wind picked up. I'm following the first edition of P&D so only had to do 600s off 90secs rather than Phils 800s. It was only a small bit windy and not even raining, so I even slightly enjoyed it.

• Lit, I do all my reps on the track, guess it is a hard habit to drop and I think it puts you in a good frame of mind. Out here, the canal paths are frequently very muddy and even where they are OK, they are not consistent enough to hit consistent reps. I don't know how SG does his reps on a road loop, passing by the track every km or so, I would just do them on the track. Fair enough for long LT runs maybe, but anything up to 2000m, track every time.

• I would, Phil, but there is no track where I live - there's one 4.5 miles away that I could cycle to but I'd have to pay (and probably join a different, more expensive club) and they're just about to close it down for refurbishment anyway. There's a grass track marked on a local school playing field in summer, but that's no good to me now. The canal towpath I run on is straight, flat tarmac, which is why I run there - 600s (admittedly measured by GPS, but the straightness of the path means they're probably close enough) came out at 2:13, 2:13, 2:13, 2:12, 2:12 and 2:10, which seemed consistent enough to me, though faster than they were meant to be!

• I'm with PMJ. Having used the local track with the club I'm happy to use it on my own now. I couldn't imagine doing reps anywhere else, other than treadmill if travelling and can't find a track.

Sounds like a good swim Nikki!