Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Will that be the same when the buggers move it to Marlow Philip'?tI

• Tablet is doing that silly backwards tyoing thing again! Was going to say, where the Marlow track will be is under water now!D

• and don't even get me started on the cost of using the Stoke Mandeville track just a perfect warm up from work!!!!!!!

• I use a track near my office in London and not Handy Cross. It is an odd track: not only the obvious goose shit but I was chatting to the groundsman today and it is not up to spec so can't be used for events etc (it isn't flat enough etc) but is perfectly fine to train on so it is free and available 24/7.

There are also others close by: Battersea Park has a track, Hurlingham Park has a grass track (upper class twit of the year for MP fans), the odd one at Regents Park (which is an odd 386 metres long!), Paddington, Willesden, Linford Christie track at Wormwood Scrubs, Parliament Hill, Wimbledon, ...

• Where will the Marlow track be? I do like a bit of MP. 

• Marlow track will be at Little Marlow, so if you are on the bypass going north turn right where Marlow is left.

• Blimey Philip - an embarrassment of riches track wise! Why is the Regents park one 386m?

• bus, Regents Park Track is: "a quaint 423y (approx. 386.8m) 1896 Olympics style cinder track with very long straights and extremely tight bends."

http://www.runtrackdir.com/details.asp?track=london-rp

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/d/42368-1/RegentsPark-ea14004.jpg

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Beware of other users, of tracks of that nature.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/benhur.jpg

🙂

• A surfeit of tracks.

Regents looks interesting.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

The new redevelopment plans for the Station Hill area (the grey lumpy mass outside the main entrance to Reading Station) include a football pitch with running track on one of the roofs.  Would be very handy for me, depending on who gets access to it, although the tall buildings proposed as part of that development may create some interesting wind effects.

• Running track on a roff would be pretty interesting!

Do people actually use the Regents Park track then or only when dressed in period running gear?

made the wrong choice this morning! The option was a 5.5 or 7.5M muddy route to the rail station. I took the 7.5M option. Everything was fine until exactly the 6M point. Would have got away with 5.5M without any issues.

• "5-6 miles seems to be the max I can do before the adductors start to protest"

Bus - dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)

"5-6 miles seems to be the max I can do before the adductors start to protest"

Bus - dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Dachs wrote (see)

e a football pitch with running track on one of the roofs.

Also I bet that if it is a roof track then entry will be restricted to working hours when there is no wind, rain, bright sunshine, leaves on the lines ...

Regents Park track is used by a lot of people for training but not for meetings. Best tracks are those you can get on out of hours so no high fences etc. Have to say USA has this right as a lot of tracks belong to schools but are free for public use outside school hours.

• I know, I know - I never said I wasn't stoopid image. Just to prove it, I have to run home tonight too (although that WILL be under 6 miles....). Might just have to become a (very bad!) middle distance runner...

The Wycombe track should have been moved to that school in Hazlemere and followed the US model of charging image

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Have to say USA has this right as a lot of tracks belong to schools but are free for public use outside school hours.

How widely is this known in the US? I've seem many tracks but always fearful of just rocking up and using one in the land of the free.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

as im ferrying my kids around to parties / discos tonight i did my session on the treadmill at lunch.

3*2mile off 5min rec. target session to hit 10k volume in 32.30 so mile pace was 5.15 (or if you prefer each 3k in 9.47). slowly coming out of my winter hibernation and getting some speed back into my sessions again. although they were on the treadmill (incline=1%) so was easier than on the road i think.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

After several weeks of recovery and conditioning I like to think my own injuries are well and truly behind me.

To prove the point, today I went for a run with not one ache, pain at all anywhere. Smashed out an interval session off road and returned with not one ache, pain at all anywhere.

The session once again involved plenty of mud, soft wet grass and two water filled gullies. 5 x 600m again only faster than two days ago. Average pace 6:05 min mls.

One difference from Tuesday is that I ran in 15mm spikes instead of 'Fellcross' studs.

Wore a HR monitor which merely indicated that I 'blow up' badly at 173bpm. Sub 170bpm means I survive.

USA. The land of the free!

Well the 99% of their population which hasn't been jailed.

🙂

• RicF - very pleased to hear that you are back out and running image looks like a good session too! Keep up the good work.

• IronCat5 wrote (see)
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Have to say USA has this right as a lot of tracks belong to schools but are free for public use outside school hours.

How widely is this known in the US? I've seem many tracks but always fearful of just rocking up and using one in the land of the free.

OK, to be fair, this is a small sample (4 or 5 tracks) and I have seen signs outside them or been invited by friends to join established groups. The term you need to check for is joint use agreement:

Joint Use Agreements

Joint use agreements offer a way for school districts to open their facilities
    to community use. A joint use agreement refers to a written agreement
    between a school district and one or more public or private (nonprofit)
    entities setting forth the terms and conditions for sharing the use of the
    district’s facilities. A joint use agreement can allow community access to
    school property by allowing the district to share with another agency the
    costs and risks associated with opening the property for after-hours use.

• Cheers PMJ I shall look for those in the future.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good stuff Ric, been a while since we've seen a session from you.

Dean, those reps look pretty speedy already, even allowing for them being on a treadmill.

Big session for me today, with 20 as 7 easy, 12 @ MP, 1 easy. The MP came out as 5:56, completing the 12 in 1:11:10. Prettt happy with that, as it all felt reasonably comfortable up to about tyhe 10 mile point. Also, thats brought up 6 20+ runs for the campaign so far, equalling the total i did for my last 2 maras. On course to do about 10.

• Great running Dachs! 10 x 20milers is impressive
  • Great session there Dachs. How long are the 10x20miles spread over?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Glad to be getting something worthwhile done. Its going ok.

🙂

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

How long are the 10x20miles spread over?

Can I count the ones I did last year?

• Ric's back! Good session that, and glad you are finally injury free! Impressive pace on muddy terrain too.

Very nice Dachs! 12 miles at sub 6 as part of a 20 miler is getting very serious indeed! I suspect you beat my half pb in that run!

Managed the 5.5M home tonight with no real issues, and actually a faster pace this morning, despite it being dark. A bit of discomfort started in the last 0.5M reinforcing the view that I can do as many 5 milers in a row as you like, but nothing more than that!!

• Nice run indeed Dachs. Truly in awe of that 20 mile session!

Track session of 5, 4, 3, 2, 4 x 1, 4 x 30s. All at what can be scientifically called 'disgracefully uncomfortable pace.' Feel over my man flu now though, so time to crack on!

• Good to hear you're back Ric. 

Great session Dachs. Seems t'other day was a mere blip. 

Glad the penny has dropped Bus. An alternative would be to run the 7mi XC route but reset the Garmin at 4.9 miles. Convinced that will work. 

In other news I ran. Easy 10km in 56mins. Kept on a 3 breathe schedule to ensure I got enough oxygen. Legs feel shattered but I think tomorrow will be worse!