Heart rate going a little crazy

Did my long run on Friday last week and it was terrible. Meant to be 18 miles but had to stop after 16 and call someone to come and pick me up! Last 3 miles took me 38 minutes and when I got home and plugged my polar into the computer I discovered that for the last 1 1/2 hours my heart rate had been over 160 average where for the first 1 1/2 hours it was a comfortable 133 average. I have slightly scared myself and wondered if anyone had any advice? I am training for my first marathon; used to run quite a bit but got planter fasciitis last May and was off until September. Am carrying 10 lbs too much weight and could feel I was starting a cold on Friday but nothing special. All advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• You worked hard and were tired, congratulations, that's what the long runs are for, sounds like you might have basically run it slightly to fast, slow down from the beginning and just try again. Or... Just one of those bad run days, that nearly all of us have, just forget about it and move on to the next day in your plan. 

seriously don't make a mountain out of a molehill, you just end up putting mental obstacles in your way. 

• Throw the HRM away if it scares you. Would you feel happier not knowing ? Do you not look at it whilst you're running - isn't that the whole point - to be able to provide instant feedback on your body ?

Was the long run a big jump ?

Had you had a hard week ?

Were you adequately prepared ?

Have you come down with any illness ?

As bookie says - did you run it too fast ?

Everyone has bad runs from time to time. Sometimes there's no reason.
  • Thank you all for your advice.  In hindsight, I feel like I made a pretty basic beginner's mistake in training when I was sick.  I knew I was coming down with a cold and had already missed my track repeats session that week because of it.  I was worried if I missed the long run too I would fall to far behind and I am finding the training hard enough.  I am following the FIRST programme which is all about pace so on the long run I didn't even glance at my heart rate because I was struggling to stay on pace so was concentrating on that.  I had no sense that my heart rate was that high, I just knew I felt less like I was running and more like I had a double decker bus tied to my waist!  I guess it was coming home and seeing it and knowing that the advice is not to train that high for that long (I'm 47 so that is 90 mins at 90% for me) that scared me. 

Thanks again everyone.  I certainly ran faster that day than my body was up for and I shall learn to stop following the programme so slavishly and check my heart rate when I am feeling rubbish!