Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Glad you getting back on your feet Iron - everything feeling OK in the chest after that? I like the idea of re-setting the Garmin just before 5 - I think you would be on to something image

Stevie - sounds a good session, but I can't quite work out what you were doing! Good to be on the mend though!

• You'll have to reset it quick mind, before the satellites and black helicopters catch you.

Chest seemed OK, throat quite dry at the end. It was about 4C out so a good test. Still coughing, but that is nothing new. The best thing is tomorrow is a rest day image

Interesting session SS!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good to see IronCat back to it, thats been a hell of an illness.

Bus, so its just 5k and 5 mile races now then? Or maybe you can be a late blooming 3000 steeplechaser.

Good reps SS.

PMJ, the 20s will all be within the 18 week programme. First one was early December I think.

• They were minutes Bus, decreasing down to 30s reps. All at VO2 max pace so started at 5K and from the 4 onwards was hitting 3K pace. Recoveries were 3mins then reducing each time but generally 50%+ of each rep.

Had the telling headache from lack of oxygen after the session! Literally took me 5 mins before my breathing calmed down again!

• Dachs, are you following P&D 70-85? I am on the 55-70 18 weeks and that is a step down but sort of scaled so since Dec 9th I have done 6 runs of 18 miles or more and have 4 left before VLM.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ - I'm following P&D 70-85 in the loosest possible sense. The main MP sessions are P&D ones, and I'm doing the MLRs wherever I can, but the rest is just whatever I can do on any given day. I followed it reasonably closely for Abingdon, but am doing more HMP this time and more 20s, becausr I think that will stand me in better stead. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Some good places on this thread at the moment, some of you goin very nicely. Nikki, careful on the flooring yourself swimming, remember it's meant to be gentle rehab from the running. it's not just meant to be a new route to smash yourself!

I'm probably not in pb form, and I find when that's the case I tend to slip off a bit. Today's 2x3m HMP was 5.50 and 5.49 averages. Zone is 5.45 to 5.50 (pb pace 5.47?) , so i'm just about getting into it.

Did it on the road for a rare time, rather than a loop. Probably a little harder that way, and obviously it's not gorgeous weather.

During the session, especially mile 2 i did wonder if quitting and just becoming a full time footy fan and enjoying the junk food ride to 23stone might be more fun, but by rep 2 it was feeling better.

So,  a strange time, but i'll put the effort in each week and see how we go.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Here's something that might be a spanner in some of your works.

If you aren't running quite as fast as you have done lately, but also haven't really stopped training, even easy training. Illness apart, do you think its down to a lack of fitness?

🙂

• Still a good session SG.

That makes sense SS - I must have been a bit dim-witted last night!

Dachs - my legs are far too short for steeplechase - I'd never get over the water jump image

As is becoming the theme this week, 5M in torrential rain and gales just now. Sort of progression type thing! Overall 6:59 average.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ric, is that some kind of riddle?

to anyone who ever doubts why it's best never to put off a planned session...just went and did my 2nd run, a mere 4miler in probbaly the worst conditions for years. Monsoon rain, load of wind, and semi flooded roads.

was alright though image

• I always go out when the weather starts to get bad on the assumption that if you skip one day and it is worse the next day, then you either miss two days or you have to run on a day when it is worse than the one you skipped. Mind you, they are saying the floods in Marlow are the worst since 1947 so if I miss one day every 67 years it won't too too much harm ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgbpXmeCUAIvoEp.jpg:large

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not really a riddle SG.

If you're already fit, the only way to get faster is to get stronger.

Probably heresy around here, but running might not be the best way to achieve that end.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if you listen to one local well known face, doing fast marathons is all about doing loads of press ups and sit ups in a minute

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

If he runs marathons on his hands or stomach, go for it.

I'm thinking more in terms of leg muscles myself.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

so what do you recommend Ric?  cycling?

although there are a lot of people out there that say core work is very important to running so maybe there is something in sit ups etc...

• Stevie G wrote (see)

if you listen to one local well known face, doing fast marathons is all about doing loads of press ups and sit ups in a minute

This is excellent news. I'm brilliant at doing press-ups really fast. It's way easier than doing them slowly.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I do sit ups so fast that you can't even see me doing them. I just appear to be lying on the sofa.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cycling, yes but not in a conventional sense. 

I use the heaviest resistance possible (indoor bike) and sit up on the machine doing what amounts to an alternate 'leg press'.

Doing this for at least 30 minutes each day has certainly had a beneficial effect. To really 'up the ante', I knock this exercise off in 3 minute bursts as an interval session.

For what its worth, I saw a video of Steve Brace (one of Britain's best distance runners) doing just this.

Personally, I have to develop my power this way. Running alone just doesn't do it.

Power is where that subtle 'bounce' that faster have comes from. And Dean, I watched that video of you running and 'bounce' was clearly evident.

Slow down the final of the Olympic 10000m. You will see guys running along as if on springs.

🙂

• Planking. That's the way forward. 

I shouldn't celebrate too soon. Chest has been tight all day. Will stick to 30min max sessions for the mo. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ric, after your post I went and did some pushups and planks.

ok, only about 20, split in 2 sets and cheating a fait bit, and probably only a min on the planks if you count "fast counting to 60"

that should see me right until 2015.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Planking! What gives up first? for me its my arms/shoulders after 15 minutes.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG. That's the way to go.

Any exercise that you find 'tests' you a bit too much for comfort is good.

I tended to think of highly trained muscles (apart from running ones) as a dumping ground for excess lactic acid.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Planking! What gives up first? for me its my arms/shoulders after 15 minutes.

My will to live. 

Ric has described low cadence high gear work. Well known for building strength. I don't like those kind of reps. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

15mins?

you're just showing off now Ric.

• Yeah, but don't forget Ric only weighs the same as a bag of sugar.image

• Not that I'm jealous that Ric can plank for over 3 x as long as me or anything... but I would argue that if your arms and shoulders 'give up' your core has probably already given up.

• Epic ride home tonight! Most of the route was under water, and the wind was knocking me all over the place. At one point I was head down,pumping my legs hard and hardly moving. OK, - this was on a steep hill, but I was going down it!!! 

Sit ups are bad for your back unless you do a range of core stuff to balance all round your spine. Planks and side planks are very good. 15 mins Ric - sheesh. I thought I was doing pretty well with a 3 just to se how long I could do it!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

imagine how good a runner Ric could have been if he'd done some running amongst all the cycling and core stuff!

• Dachs, you crack me up! An hour run a day will do me, sit ups can kiss my a***!

SG, remember, it only takes 1 session to change your entire outlook on things! You never know when it will come so like you say, just keep on going. The body responds to training in ebbs and flows so just ride out the storm (literally).

Easy 7 tonight.

• RicF I think you have a point

I'm trying to do a core session each week incorporating lunges and core work on a Swiss ball to see if even at my "age" it helps improve strength image