Advice Needed

Hi All,

I have, or what i believe to be shin splints in my left leg.

I am currently training for the London Marathon and with time running out cannot really afford any rest. Training has not gone great and i really need to get the miles in.

I have not had any pain in my shin the whole time ive been running until my last run.

Will i be ok to carry on running with the pain?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The first thing you need to do is find out if it is actually shin splints.

Secondly if it is then the worst thing to do is "need to get the miles in" or "cannot really afford any rest"

What else has not gone well in your training? What plan are you following?
  • Thanks for your reply.

Went for a short run this afternoon and knew after a mile that i cant run on it.

Rest it is then

• I have suffered from shin splints for years. My treatment plan is ice ice and more ice after every single run regardless of distance. I have also invested in full length compression socks which help to a degree. I was once told it is almost impossible to get rid of them for ever it's just a matter of trying to manage them. This combination works for me it's just about trying to find what works for you... Good luck with VLM...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Almost impossible to get rid of shin splints! Yes, if you insist on continuing to run with them.

Stop completely for 18 months. That'll do it.

🙂

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

That's not entirely true ric...I had them after ramping up mymileage to 60+ per week in 2006....

They did take a while to put right, maybe 6 months, but they did get better and I've never had them back...

(never got anywhere near the original provoking mileage mind you, due to other injuries)