Quickest and most effective way to get a 1.5mile run time down

Hi there im currently in basic training, and im struggling to get my 1.5mile time down ,currently its just under 11minutes, and could do with being atleast 10 minutes, I struggle with setting my pace as I generally run a faster time if I follow someone else but I cannot do that on my PFA

what will be the most effective way to lower it 

thanks

Comments

• Have you done any reps of 200 or 400 metres? Thats the route i'd go.. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon

• interval training for pace and hill training for strength.

Either that or put your trainers on, go to the nearest pub and find a really big, strong looking bloke and punch him in the face and then run like f***.  Guarantee a PB over the distance!image

• It would be so much easier if you describe the training you do now... and people can give you a critique.  Simply asking an open question, the way you do, well you could put that into Google.

But speaking generally, because it's not a marathon, a lot of people concentrate hard on fast training.  But for 1.5 miles, you need good endurance.  So you should be doing some long runs of about an hour. At paces SLOWER than 9 minutes per mile... Probably 10 minutes for the first couple of weeks... but do one a week for 6 weeks, to start laying down a base.   Along side that you need some Lactate Threshold runs. Probably around 8 to 8:15 mins per mile.   Warm up with a slow 2 miles, then go for 4 miles at the LT pace, then 1 mile warm down.   One a week of those in the first 4 weeks will do nicely for your speed work, then start focusing more on the interval.

DON"T feel that you should  be flogging yourself to death in training.   In very simple terms... make sure some of your runs a longer&slower than your target.... others are shorter and faster (reps)...   and hope it all comes together on race day!

For 1.5 miles, you need a fair amount of aerobic capability too. And the best way for that is to do some slower but longer runs.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

my first question would be, how long have you got??

• thanks for advice i usually get cramping and weakness in my quads even though im not that out of breath which slows me down

• If your in Basic Training at the moment, you won't have the energy or time for additional training.

Work hard in all your PT sessions, TABs and that will increase your overall fitness, as it is designed too.

As you can say, you can run faster when following people, unless your knocking out a 6min BPFA/PFT/BFT or whatever the fad name for it is this week, your going to have people in front of you, have a bit of determination and try and over take them.

Most young ones tend to sprint off at the beginning and are hanging out after 1/2 a mile. Take your time, you only have to knock out 7min miling for a mile and a half, its not challenging, just stick with it.

Remember, its an adventure, not a job, enjoy itimage

Pooter ( just finished 23 years of doing them ! ! ! )

• Pooter wrote (see)

If your in Basic Training at the moment, you won't have the energy or time for additional training.

Work hard in all your PT sessions, TABs and that will increase your overall fitness, as it is designed too.

As you can say, you can run faster when following people, unless your knocking out a 6min BPFA/PFT/BFT or whatever the fad name for it is this week, your going to have people in front of you, have a bit of determination and try and over take them.

Most young ones tend to sprint off at the beginning and are hanging out after 1/2 a mile. Take your time, you only have to knock out 7min miling for a mile and a half, its not challenging, just stick with it.

Remember, its an adventure, not a job, enjoy itimage

Pooter ( just finished 23 years of doing them ! ! ! )

Oh, and stay away from the Pringles and other C*&p that crows seem to fill up with from the NAAFI and eat well in the cookhouse instead