2014 Running Goals

Following on from my 2013 Running Goals thread, I thought i'd throw this out there as a motivator to improve this year.

Last year I failed to make my sub4 marathon time, scuttling home in 4:19, albeit that was a huge PB for me. This year the same marathon target is in my sight. I'll find out on April 6th in Manchester whether this wet winter training has been worth the effort.

After that, I hope to race a lot more 10ks this summer, and into autumn, and improve on last years 46:25 PB. I'm not really sure what sort of improvement is realistic given my current fitness and the level of training I'm likely to do, but I think with some consistent training, I'm going to first aim for sub 46, then work from there. Perhaps 43:59 by the end of the year?

As well as 10k, I'll try to improve my 5k PB from last Nov of 22:55. I'm going to see how close to 22:00 I can get the next time I do a parkrun, then try to chip off a few seconds as the year goes on, and see how close I can get to 21:00 by the end of the year. These 5k and 10k targets will obvisouly be pretty closely correlated.

Last year I had a bit of injury after the marathon in May, so fingers crossed this year I can avoid that and keep up the training consistently throughout the summer.

How about you? What have you got in your sights for 2014?

Comments

• Time is a non-starter for me; instead my plan is get my weekly long run up to 20 miles. I've started the year on 15 miles, so I've got a reasonable base to build on.

• Quite simply, to run more and get faster. I've set my PB aspirations below. I've got plenty of races planned and I hope to actually be able to beat these sooner rather than later to set myself some more by the end of the year as my weight comes down.

Yearly Milage: 1000+

Weightloss: 30lbs

5k:

• Thanks AG good goals btw

I only have a few this year.

Do my 2nd and 3rd HM. Try and get one of them under 2 hrs.

50% WAVA parkrun. (its a weird one but a long story).

more interval training.

Although if this cough / cold carries on any longer I might have to change my goals to complete c25k plan.

• After failing to even get to the start line for 2 marathons last year my first target is to get to the start line at Manchester. My ITB is fairly under control so with a bit of luck I should manage it. If I get there I am targeting 3:59:xx but with a cheeky eye on 3:45. After that I will set myself some more targets for the rest of the year

• @ Carterusm. Goodbye ruby tuesday, come home you silly cow. image

• Run up to 2500km in 2014, more than 2013 tally of 1250km.

Run 100km in a week.

Average 60 to 70km per week during March to September while training for two marathons in June and September.

2014: 5k in sub 18 minutes, 10k in sub 38 minutes, HM in sun 85 minutes, Marathon in sub 3 hours and 5 minutes.

2013 SBs: 5k in 18 min 52 secs, 10k in 38 min 58 secs, HM in 88 min 1 sec, Marathon in 3 hours and 9 min and 35 secs.

• My first crack at improving my 10k time this year failed on Saturday as I finished in 47:05, 40seconds shy of my PB from last year. This was a warm up race for a marathon in 6 weeks time, so i'm not too downhearted. Apart from a bit of illness this winter, i've had no injuries and running has proceeded reasonably well. I have another 10k tune up race before my marathon, and i'll aim for a PB in that one too, and see where the chips fall. As ever, my marathon target is sub4. I'm hoping I can manage this at the third time of asking image

• The bump has made me notice it didn't save my goals! Probably due to a Less Than Symbol.

Anyway, heres mine again

5k - Sub 23
    10k - Sub 48
    HM - Sub 1h50
    M - Complete one

Marathon training at present so no progress really on 5k or 10k. Hoping for a new Half PB in a couple of weeks at Fleet though.

Weightloss is going well though. Targetted 30 and since last post I'm at 13lbs lost. Hoping to hit that before my Marathon, and have some revised targets to aim for after that.

• Going to go back and re run the route of the 2.5M run that I ran and  first entered into my first running diary on Aug 1st 1984

Hopefully about 1st Aug this year.

• Nice work on the weight loss, Matty.

You'll probably find that the marathon training will have the happy side effect of bringing down your 5, 10 & HM times just through improved aerobic stamina, so maybe pencil in a parkrun a couple of weeks after your marathon (when the legs have forgiven you) and you'll probably smash your 5k PB.

Enjoy the reminiscence, birkmyre image

• I'm hoping my first goal will acheived this Sunday - 100 Half-Marathons.

My first was at Reading in 1984 - and Reading will be this Sunday - similar to Birkmyre as an anniversary.

I also want to get to 150 parkruns and complete 2 marathons.

AG - you may find your faster 10k times come after your marathon - I've found that in the past.

• andyp wrote (see)

I'm hoping my first goal will achieved this Sunday - 100 Half-Marathons.

Goal no 1 achieved imageimageimage

• Goal 1: 50th parkrun (currently in the high 20s so, barring catastrophe, should be a formality)

Goal 2: sub-20 for 5k (should be doable, current pb is 20:51 on a hilly parkrun course)

Goal 3: Race some 10ks. Signed up for the Cragside 10k in April. Have no concrete idea of a time goal until I race one, but definitely sub-50 as a starting point.
  • My three lifetime running goals are still unaccomplished so have made 2014 the year to do all 3 (well as least 2!)

Goal 1 - sub 40 min 10k. PB is 41:03, bit of work to be doen but fairly confident I can achieve it. No 10k races planned yet, although Stirling 10k might be the one.

Goal 2 - sub 90 min half. PB is 91:49. have 3 half marathons coming up in April/May, with the Prague half in 4 weeks the best chance I think.

Goal 3 - sub 3hr marathon. PB 3hr 26m. This one is obviously going to take a huge amount of work, and I think i'm probably not going to have the time this year, but will see how it goes. No marathons booked but if I'm going well through the summer then the Loch Ness marathon is potentially on my radar. Even a decent improvement on the PB would be awesome.

• Oh yeah, and I've been roped into a Tough Mudder team for June - should be interesting!

• andyp wrote (see)
    andyp wrote (see)

I'm hoping my first goal will achieved this Sunday - 100 Half-Marathons.

Goal no 1 achieved imageimageimage

just saw this, well done image

• 5k: 21m

10k: 44m

Half: 1h38m

Hopefully all realistic as only already running just over 45 min 10k.

• cartersum-we'll drag each other round for the 3:45 image

after last years 13challenges in (20)13 though i did 15, my aim is to do 1000miles,and raise money for macmillan

• after breaking my half and full marathon goals last year, this year i'm going to take on the shorter races at a higher speed. current 10k pb is 45:08, and would like to go sub 45, should be easy since im doing training run 10k's in the late 45's/early 46's

other than that, im living in the states now so i have a whole list of new races to enjoy, living in San Francisco makes training interesting for sure, the hills...omg the hills, its like road fell running in places. love it.

• Contrary to other peoples experience my shorter race times have always got slower when marathon training! So I decided to take a break from marathons this year and concentrate on getting quicker over shorter distances.

Targets for 2014

5k: sub 23:00 (currently 23:03!)

10k: 48:00 (currently 49:28)

Half: 1:52 (currently 1:54)

Next attempt at 10k PB is in May. Just started specific training schedule for this race and managed 6 mile repeats at target 10k pace with 3 mins recovery so pleased with that. 

• Well I hit my half target 6 months earlier than I thought I would! 1h48m35s image

Revised half target: Sub 1h45 in the autumn.

Marathon is Paris in 3 weeks then summer can be focused of 5 and 10k image
  • Hi its been a while since I was last on here I did my first marathon last year and loved every minute off it through the gruelling sweat and pain. I didn't run for 5 months after that due to injury I started back up towards the end of 2013 but wasn't enjoying it so stopped for a while. I have started up again and slowly starting to find myself enjoying it again after a few 5/6 mile runs so my goal for this year is to get fit again and enjoy it like I used to and aim for running events towards the end off the year

• Running goals for 2014

10k sub 45min currently at 46:17

H/M sub 1:40: currently at 1:41:36

i archived my goal of going sub 4hr for a marathon last year at Brighton coming home in 3:37:09 so would like to get down to sub 3:30:00 but that’s for next year as I’m running Brighton with my daughter this year

• Knocked nearly a minute off my 5k PB but just shy of this years target 21:12. Another 12 seconds and I'll be there and plenty of time left in 2014.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Survive the ultras they I am entered in, and hopefully get the medals, t shirt, or buckle for completing them. 

• 5k in sub 18 minutes. (5k PB around 19 minutes)

10k in sub 38 minutes. (10k PB around 39 minutes)

HM in sub 83 minutes. (HM PB around 87 minutes)

Marathon in sub 3 hours and 5 minutes. (Marathon PB around 3 hours and 9 minutes).

3 or 4 running sessions per week mainly intervals and paced distance runs. Mileage around 30 to 40 miles per week.

Eventually I would like to run sub 17 minutes for 5k, sub 36 minutes for 10k and  sub 80 minutes for HM.

• First goal of the year completed. 3:53 Marathon (previous PB 4:19)

I'm delighted, as anyone who read the P&D spring marathon thread may have gathered.

It's been 3 days now and yet to run again. Planning a gentle jog tomorrow. Once i'm recovered from the marathon I plan to gradually increase the mileage back to about 40 per week, and switch into some quicker stuff to move onto the 5k and 10k races.

5k PB 22:55

10k PB 46:25.

Hopefully with some specific speed work, and the fitness I hope I've built through the winter marathon training I can get a couple of cheap PBs pretty soon, then work on shaving more time off through the summer.

Keep at it folks image

• Well done on the marathon PB AG image

• Well done AG. I've been following your progress on the P&D threads and was really pleased that you finally achieved your target.image

• thanks guys, me too. went for my first run at lunchtime since Sunday. gentle 4mile jog, legs felt a little tight but fine. eager to start building up mileage again, then do some speedwork, but will need to be patient.