Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Ramjet wrote (see)

Can I just de-lurk for a second and say that the P&D 600m intervals are on the weeks where there is a tune-up race on the Saturday.

It is all explained in the book. A harder workout would jeopardise the race.

Guess I should have juggled the sessions then, you are right. I had planned a parkrun this week and then in 2 weeks time it is the 12 stage relays. The book has plenty of rules but also options to break the rules so easy, hard is a rule but this week track and MLR but then I guess that gives an extra recovery before the race.

Well, I'll be flying at parkrun on Saturday and with all the focus on Reading on Sunday I may well finish in the top three but not first, as always image

• Congratulations Johnas and family. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ramjet wrote (see)

Can I just de-lurk for a second and say that the P&D 600m intervals are on the weeks where there is a tune-up race on the Saturday.

It is all explained in the book. A harder workout would jeopardise the race.

How many 10k-15k races are there on saturdays out of interest? Being an american book this doesn't quite transfer to over here, where you have runs in parks of 5k but not generally many 10ks.

And how does it explain doing the 6x600 a few weeks before a 5x600? With or without races that doesn't seem to make sense.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Ramjet wrote (see)
    Well, I'll be flying at parkrun on Saturday and with all the focus on Reading on Sunday I may well finish in the top three but not first, as always image

as it's not a race, im surprised you even talk about finishing positions.

But as it's often won in high 18s or 19s, surely you'd have a shout of winning it one week?!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, true, but I don't actually make any decisions remember, i follow the schedule written! 
    Good to see you repping, but with pain should you even be risking that?
    always graduate a return from an injury/niggle...and only add the speedwork once i'm back up to full distance easy work. If it hurts to do ovre 6miles, doing 6miles but with speedwork seems slightly worrying thinking!
    Make sure you're ready for Marlow, in case we do the enter as Fun Boy 3 again, or whatever our name was...

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

SG I think Lit did 600m reps for some reason when the schedule calls for 6 x 800m for the first VO2 session. (or at least the 2nd edition does.)

For the races I sometimes to a parkrun with a 4 mile warm up and 4 mile cool down. Or I do an 11 mile run with a 10K tempo in the middle.

• The 1st edition had 6 x 600m, and we decided to stick to that as it had been a while since I'd done anything of that kind. The 'SG & Lit easing into the quality sessions' approach seems to be working out pretty well so far - we also ignored the early LT (first day of the schedule!) and monster 10 miles @ MP runs from the 2nd edition but SG added in some shorter MP runs to build up to the 12-mile version.

• Dachs wrote (see)

PMJ, you hitting Finchley hard then if you're resting beforehand, or is it a structured training run?  I shall be there, with an aim of 5 @ 6:45 and 15 @ 6:00.  I'm looking forward to finding out what 6:45 feels like in a race.

In between the two. I will do Finchley as 20 miles at MP.

In 2011 I did a 20 at 6:49 and a marathon at 6:45
    In 2012 I did Finchley at 6:26 and VLM at 6:27

I'd like to do Finchley at 6:30 (2:10) so will be 1:15 ahead of you at the end of the first lap and then you pass by before 7 miles.

20 in 2:10 is 77% WAVA and equates to 2:53. If I raced it full out, I'd like to be closer to 2:05

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, i'd imagine 6.45 within a race for you will probably feel the equivalent of a gentle walk round the house on first waking.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Dachs, i'd imagine 6.45 within a race for you will probably feel the equivalent of a gentle walk round the house on first waking.

I hope so.  But hopefully minus the pressing need to go to the toilet.

• OK, quandary: Feb total is 245.80 miles. Jan was 270.16, so 24.36 miles to equal, 24.37 to beat. Schedule is 14 and 10, so 24. Do I tack 0.37 on somewhere?

Damn you February and your 28 days.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

No, you just don't do such ridiculous points of a mile. Half or full miles only please.

And are you getting hoes and hose mixed up on the other thread son?

• Stevie G wrote (see)

No, you just don't do such ridiculous points of a mile. Half or full miles only please.

And are you getting hoes and hose mixed up on the other thread son?

Sorry, on Sunday please stop at 13 miles and ignore the 0.1

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the recovery after makes up the full mile you saucy devil.

• Don't know if people remember Nick Browne but a nice photo of him at Tokyo marathon trying to avoid being kicked by the elite ladies pack. he let them pass by but his final time was 2:26.37 and he pulled up form 102nd to 58th at the finish so repassed most of these

http://tokyobling.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/tokyo_marathon_2014_4km_3545.jpg

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember him doing an amazing 32.59 for the Wooburn 10k (1k hill for anyone who doesn't know it, with very little field to push him) one year, gutting our favourite local pot hunter, and leaving our handsome hero (aka me) in 4th

• I was just thinking of the same race SG - great time on that course!

Don't worry about the speed-work for me SG  - since the groin thing started back in October, it has always been distance and not speed that sets it off for some reason. The new twinge on the other leg on the other hand (so to speak!) seems to get worse with speed, but we'll just have to see how that one goes!

Oh, and one decimal place for miles is OK, but two is more than your Garmin can accurately measure to anyway! Therefore you need to add on 0.4M somewhere Philip image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ, don't get hung up on silly stats.  My February total is going to be about 80 less than January!

Track last night.  Session was 10 x 800.  In view of the need to save something for Reading, I did 6 x 800 @ 5K (off 200m recoveries) then 2 x 1mile @ MP.

I've done far too little VO2 max work recently, and it showed as my lungs burned from about rep 2 onwards.  But average 2:34 for the 800s is OK given how little speedwork I've been doing, then 6:00 average for the MP on the nose.  My thigh was burning afterwards, but that seems to have gone away now.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, that's just what Phil does. stat analysis, stalking etc.

is that your MP race pace rather than theoretical MP? I ask as my MPs come out at 6. (well, 6 to 6.10 but usually bottom end).

10 at 6.46 pace today. Vague ideas at the start of keeping it easier than normal, but just wouldn't come out like that and for some reason saw 6.22 for a couple of miles at the end, which was getting silly.

Nothing until sat morno now though

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - 2.36 is a decent time for 800 reps. particularly as it was a race week/in mara training. 

congrats johnas

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Congrats Johnas from me too.

Last run (session) for me this morning before the Middlesex Masters XC on Saturday. Don't think I could have trained any better for it. 

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good luck with that Ric.  is a medal a possibility in your age group ?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Congrats Johnas! Some proper planning needed to get the runs in now! I run more now though than before my daughter was born. 

Nikki, good to hear from you, rest up!

theyre decent reps there Dachs! I'm on either 1000s or mile reps tonight. I can't decide which yet. Never look forward to track sessions. Always get slightly apprehensive beforehand. What sessions would you lot do to give a good indication of pace a week before a 10k? Recoveries too. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

matt, 8x1k off 60sec to me is as good an indicator as you'll get.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

matt i would say you are around 32.30 ish for a 10k.  perhaps even sharper. i assume this is for trafford?

i dont like to flog myself before an A race so i would either go for 8*1k @ 3.15 off 90 sec rec.  they wount be easy but also wont be over testing either.   or a 5k session though.  5*1k 3.05 rep off 2mins or 90 secs. to work on your speed.  

• Dachs - your thigh was probably burning from friction given the speed of those 800s image

Just out myself in the sunshine for a nice easy one, hopefully to help ease off this latest twinge...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Certainly is Dean. If my clubmates run their usual race, we've a chance of winning the V50's. We won that a couple of years ago. If the training has worked as I believe it has, I've a chance of an individual medal.

Every run over the past 3 weeks has been a speed session on mud. I'm fairly sure that no one else in the race will have done that, or have been able to.

The sessions all at race speed and averaging one minute recovery (last session 30 seconds) were: 5 x 600m, 5 x 600m, 7 x 600m, 4 x1200m, 4 x 1200m, 6 x 1200m, 7 x 600m & 5 x 600m.

Times were 2:30 & 5:00 average. 

Main improvement has been rate of recovery. During the initial session of 5 x 600m, my HR hit a sort of max and was still in the 130's a minute later. Today after the last 'rep' my HR dropped in one minute from the same max to less than 100.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - I don't deal in theoretical marathon pace really, just intended race pace, which is pretty much 6:00. Might be different if I wasn't in marathon training.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i agree ric, i doubt many vets do that session at that pace.  looking good for some honours there. 

a decent weekend to be an observer, ric racing for County honours on saturday and a few others looking not to get embarrased by young samir on sunday.  image

• As a male runner, I get embarrased by Samir regularly image

6 miles done with no real issues, and the twinge feels much better than after the run yesterday. Still planning on doing 50M this week, but it takes some doing with a max of 6 miles!

Bit too early to start dishing out the good lucks for Sunday, but as yours is Saturday, all the very best and fingers crossed for an individual medal!