Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Bus, it'll be interesting to see what sort of result emerges from weekly mileages of 15, 14, 15, 11, 16 & 7 (so far this week).

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what's with the low mileages Ric?

Thought you said you couldn't have done more? Unless I misread?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, you should write a training manual.  I'd read it.  I wouldn't follow it, if I'm honest, but I'd still read it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No need for me to write one Dachs, Julian Goater already has. 

SG, you mis read.

"Don't think I could have trained any better for it."

Actually meant race effort where I wrote speed. The times 2:30 & 5:00 were mere averages.

Anyway, this is a side issue. The race on Saturday is a club race, a team race and whatever I do, I'm quite prepared to have a shit result personally so long as the team gets a good one.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fair does Ric. You don't strike me as someone who ever followed any traditional method, and you got to a 1hr 13 half, so who can question!

Seemed to lose the ability to drive at lunch, when faced with the simple task of transporting 3 people 1/4 mile to the local sport club for a working lunch.

Not sure if it was simply having not had 4 in the car since about 2008, and it being a different car, or if this is low level sunday anxiety already.

Have that slight horrible adrenaline feeling already.

It's 3 days before for goodness sake!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, Traditional, conventional, standard. It matters not. Its results that count.

It's always assumed that the top runners and their coaches had or were party to the most cutting edge methods etc.

The reality is closer to ,"I can't believe you trained like that and got away with it".

If you really know what you're doing, you'll be aware that no one quite knows the answer to why some training works, yet sometimes it doesn't.

However its best to have a plan. And even a bad plan is better than no plan at all. I used a plan in 1989. It stopped me getting injured, so it worked.

Most of its glorified guesswork. 

Stop thinking about Sunday. That adrenaline will wipe you out if you have it churning for 3 days beforehand. Ignore it as a race be it A,B, or Z level and treat it as nothing more than a session. 

Then change your mind once under way. Basic psychology.

My race is just 30 minutes running around in the mud. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying not to think about it, as how anyone thinks there's any evidence of a cracking performance coming I don't know.

which probably isn't the PMA that Samir will use!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

How about finish in one piece. Not come last.

That's a start point. 

🙂

• 'Don't come last' is my goal for the inter-counties.

Congratulations to the Johnas family. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If I'd known just not coming last would satisfy the readers of this thread I wouldn't train like I do all yearimage

Best thing with Reading though, being serious, is that there will be a spitload of local faces. So I get to test Phil's theory of finding it less easy to let go than at some far flung pony.

Gosport has some pretty lonely bleak sections when you're running on your own. Reading won't have any lonely spells.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

10 at 6.46 pace today. Vague ideas at the start of keeping it easier than normal, but just wouldn't come out like that and for some reason saw 6.22 for a couple of miles at the end, which was getting silly.

See, Sunday nerves are starting to cut in: good sign. Ignore ricF, you need the anticipation of a race and you need to feel nervous to perform well. May be a two bush job though ...

• SG - it's at times like this that being a tee-totaller has it's downside image

If all that adrenaline is surging now, then why not get out tomorrow and do a few, y sharp reps to release it, and then change Saturday to a much easier one? (sorry, I'm being like a dog with a bone - and to change now would be wrong anyway most likely!)

As Ric says, having a plan is the right thing even if its not the right plan, and I like the distinction between "better" and " more" Ric! It's a bit like a good manager being one who will make  a decision, even if its not the right one. Given my current status of being able to run fast(ish!) but not long, I may just start looking at trying out your recent methods - though I might wait until Saturday first image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus you crazy man, if you properly got that injury sorted you wouldn't be limited to 6milers!

The last thing you want to be doing is reps 2 days before a race! I used to rest the day before a race and just found it makes you ultra sluggish.

But like you say, you don't change plans this late!

The mission is to prove that Wokingham 2013 wasn't just my perfect race, where despite bad conditions I went in knowing I was going to bang it, and got in a perfect group.Not to mention at every mile knowing I was on for a pb.

• Seen our new track coming along:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2KuNWhwot1Q/Uw-mRhZoLKI/AAAAAAAAApI/zsYs6LAzCLU/s1280/marlowtrack.jpg

Wycombe Phoenix have their last ever track session at Handy Cross this Sunday

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

arse, when does it start getting ripped up?

ie when can I keep using it til? Bit of a collosal disaster really.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I'm with Bus in that I think you should cutback the Saturday run. Something different an all that. The only time I've really cutback was before Leeds. I very nearly didn't make the journey as I felt sluggish and heavy with the lack of miles I'd done the previous week. Glad I made the trip now! 

I did the session you recommended SG which was 8x 1000 off 1 min. Another crap first rep but then all the others seemed pretty consistent. Definitely harder work than the 2 min rec! 

3.14 - 3.10 - 3.12 - 3.11 - 3.11 - 3.11 - 3.10 - 3.09

I think 3.13 is 32.08 so hopefully I get 10 splits like that come next week! 70 odd miles over the last 6 days too so by no means on fresh legs. Two mountains, a tempo, a sub 16 5k on the treadmill all since Saturday. That'll be the last proper session before trafford. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the way I train Matt, my 8x1k is a good indicator of possible 10k times as I run to zones rather than just smashing it.

I know others tend to have the ability to smash out reps way faster than they could hope to pull off in a race. Perhaps if I ever trained with people I'd end up that way, but more likely it'd ruin me for the rest of the week's training.

However,  I reckon you have a pretty good chance of seeing 3.11 or so per rep in a race ! Best of luck!

• Stevie G wrote (see)

arse, when does it start getting ripped up?

ie when can I keep using it til? Bit of a collosal disaster really.

Next Monday:

http://www.leisurecentre.com/wycombe-sports-centre

Please be advised that the running track at Wycombe Sports Centre will no longer be in use as of Monday 3rd March 2014.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sake!

Do you think it will be that soon, or is that just a "work will start" thing?

I'm surprised they'd rip that up before the new one is open.

Gonna be hard to do reps otherwise! Measuring stuff out on the road is never the best way to run reps.

• Congratulations Johnas! Lovely news.

Haha, 'don't come last' is my primary goal in most races!!

V reassuring to hear that one or two of you have had some significant time out & come back to still be competitive runners.

Nice 8x1km session Matt. Looking good!
  • Stevie G wrote (see)

sake!

Do you think it will be that soon, or is that just a "work will start" thing?

I'm surprised they'd rip that up before the new one is open.

Gonna be hard to do reps otherwise! Measuring stuff out on the road is never the best way to run reps.

Wycombe Phoenix are taking it seriously: last session and then buses to Uxbridge and other local tracks for a few months.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nikki, exactly.  07, I got an injury, then ended up with a face full of chicken pox, fitness went to literally zero and got dumped over about 2months!

Got through that and realised I could probably get through most things. Hopefully yours will be similar.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Heck of a loss really Phil. We've really been spoilt having a track there just to pop on!

It's funny, you sometimes do a hard session and curse it, yet the second you're injured you wish you were able to do it.

Similar to this, without that track it makes everything harder to plot. Like Ric says, you can never quite go full out with that risk of being smashed down by car/fellow people etc

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The public sort of understands runners. However, they have no concept of reps and interval sessions.

Especially if it involves passing their front door on multiple occasions in a short time frame. 

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good session matt - hope you haven't left any on the track that you need on race day. Should be a fast time coming!

odd session for me tonight. 4m progressive run then 6*400m off 400 jog rec.   reps target was 66 secs.  They came out 66, 65, 66, 66, 65, 64.   Happy with them particularly as the track was getting icy on one bend so I had to ease down.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you run defensively where you can Ric.

Today for instance, I slowed realising someone could easily emerge from behind a blind bend.

And lucky I had as otherwise it'd have been a tasty collision!

I never risk that a car pulling out of somewhere is going to stop either, tend to go round the back of them instead,

• Nice 400s Deano, after a decent run. Matt, like you I did 8 x 1KM, but kept recovery at 90s. Not quite at the stonking pace you reel them out at! Quality that mate!

Last time average was 3:29.

Reps were: 3:34, 3:28, 3:29, 3:30, 3:27, 3:27, 3:28, 3:24. Gives a 3:28-29 average. aerobically it felt really easy, legs wobbled on rep 5 and 6 but noting that required serious gritting of teeth. In a couple of weeks it'll be off 60s, then we'll see!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Great session SS  are you racing trafford as well?

• Great reps Stevie and Matt! Good 400s Dean.

Damn shame about the track SG. The planning permission only says they have to have secured the second site before they rip up the HX one. Wish it had come to Hazlemere!!!

Reps on the Rye SG? No chance of getting mown down by a car there! That's why I like my nice cycle track route - virtually no drives or side roads for a whole mile.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Them 400s are wick Dean! I'm not sure I've got anything quicker than a 68 over 400. Hopefully I've still some in the tank too. 

nice work SS. Are you doing Trafford or is it still the local pot huntimage im a bit unsure of what to do training wise after Trafford as Salford will be around 6 weeks after. Do I go back to longer recoveries and try and pick the pace up while gradually dropping the rec time or do I keep working on the 1000s/mile reps as they are.