The price of trainers

Last year I was buying Mizuno Wave Rider trainers for around £65. There was always some on offer somewhere. I've just looked now and they are asking £90. Have they installed sterling silver laces or something?

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The something is Rotterdam.

🙂

• Blister's I think they changed the VAT rate last year didn't they? Might be a factor for some of it.

• Thought VAT changed in 2011.

• I always buy last year's model. Once covered in sh..t they're all the same.

• Pound/yen rate has gone up quite a lot recently, so one might have thought the price would come down.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Too true. Bargains are getting harder to find although I think the rrp have shot up in the past year or so.
    I'm an Asics 2000/Kayano man, and used to be able to get the old model for under £50 in the case of the 2000s and up to £65 for the kayanos. At least another £15 nowadays. The 2000s now rrp at over £100, Kayanos at £140 , wtf.

• Always buy last year's models as well but I have certainly noticed recently that the top price of £90 which for a few had reached £115 is now nearer £140 for quite a lot of models. that really is ridiculous.

• the price here seems to be the same. maybe a fiver up.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

RRP is a lot but on trainers but how often you pay RRP?  

my asics have all been at least 40% off RRP . I got some Salomons today, my most expensive purchase compared to RRP as they were only 21% off 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My local Nike outlet isnt as cheap as it used to be.

Last year I paid ??42 for Nike Free (2012 model)

was in last week and the 2013 model was ??62

Even sports direct isnt as cheap as it was
  • One20FourOne20Four ✭✭✭

I get my stuff from the New Balance factory shop in Shap, Cumbria. In Jan got two pairs of 1080's for £100. Been wearing NB shoes for years and they are great.

• One20FourOne20Four ✭✭✭

Before anyone asks.........no I don't work for new balance or the shop !!

Just a satisfied customer

• Flob wrote (see)
    It is Becoming increasingly difficult not to buy from amazon USA. Even with post and import tax, there are still great savings to be made. Things will only get worse if we leave Europe and have to pay tax on imports from the continent.
    I'm embarrassed to say I bought some stuff in sporrtssdirect yesterday and it was competitive but not cheap. I only went in there as no where else local sells the size 12-15 footy socks I like for running(non krappimor).

No need to worry about that, we buy more from them than they do from us, they're hardly going to want to spark off a tariff war.

• Sportdirect have definitely had a spate of bunging non-Karrimor prices up.

The Nike Drifit shorts I've bought a pair each of at £16 for the last couple of years are now £22.50.

Same with running gloves. The branch near work is next door to Runnersneed, and RN have a pair of basic Nike gloves for £11.99. Same pair are £19.99 in Sportsdirect.

Feels like the window displays for NEW KARRIMOR SHOES are getting bigger too. The windows used to be a mess of posters and "LIQUIDATION SALE"-style messages, but now they're all Karrimor, all the time.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I called in Sweatshop today. Nothing on the shelves in my category (stability) under £90. No thanks.

I reckon £75 tops for a new pair of shoes, and then in a model that has been/is going to be around for a while so I can stock up when needed.

• I've just been shopping on Start Fitness.com

A pair of Nike Pegasus (can't go wrong) for £50.
    The only thing to watch is that they are a bit norty, and don't tell you about the £5 p&p until the last stage of checkout. So that's £55.

Several other shoes for that price.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Did you remember the run5 code only 5% off but better than nothing. 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Was also in Sweatshop last week - and came out with nothing.  Eyeboggling prices.

And Sportsdirect do seem to be doing the classic trick -  "Undercut/kill the competition, then when they're gone, put up your prices."

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The sports direct trick / business model seems very similar to what JD Wetherspoon have been doing to the pub trade for years.
  • how is sports direct undercutting the competition? the bloke that owns sports direct buys up all these companies - karrimor, lonsdale etc and cuts production costs to provide cheap crap to the masses and trades on the companies names. he also owns golddigger and loads of other brands. Hes hardly going to undercut and kill off nike and addidas with his chinese made shit image

• How has Wetherspoons killed real pubs ? A decent pub with real ales will never lose out to cheap keg rubbish ....

The great unwashed may drink at 'spoons and buy their kit from Sports Direct, but that just leaves decent places for the rest of us
  • weatherspoons have succeeded as they have provided a meeting place where you can actually chat and hear each other.......no loud music etc...their pubs are open and clean and women feel safe to walk in and have a drink.which means they can also get the older women in during the day to buy coffee etc.....

• and I was in sports direct this week......clothes that i can afford.last me years....I'm not sure how that makes me the great unwashed as I bath twice a day most days......

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    They are successful in what they do but when they first opened they were a lot cheaper than the competition. Now they have the market share they are no longer as cheap as they used to be.

This can apply to both companies.