Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Up with the daughter by the way. The joys! image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Damn shame about the track SG. The planning permission only says they have to have secured the second site before they rip up the HX one.

Bloody planners eh image...

Great reps Matt, Dean and SS, must be something in the northern air at the moment.

You're fired up for it, SG.  I felt like that before Wokingham last year, and smashed it.  Just keep it in check for the first few miles.  I wish I felt like you at the moment to be honest.

As it is, it feels like the cold has returned today, after I thought I'd got rid of it at the start of the week.  If I feel the same on Sunday as I do today, I'm not running.  Not happy.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

hope that clears Dachs, whilst there is a bit of pantomine around Reading/Samir your goal is london not Reading.  Though it would be great if you could smash your half PB to bits this weekend.

Matt - post trafford it largely depends on how it goes and how you feel.  if you think there is more to come then i would keep at it.  but if you find its your current peak then 6 more weeks at this pace/rec could leave you knackered come race day.  i would be tempted to keep at it and maybe ease down in a few weeks should you feel tired.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good speed work there guys. Those consistent numbers indicate control of proceedings.

Dachs, colds (viruses) come and then go. The ones that go and come back are invariably bacterial infections. On that basis I'd shelve Sunday. IC knows a thing or two about this sort of thing. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, i'm not sure it's much like pre Wokingham last year. Now that was fired up.

This just feels like a sickly anxiety....woke up today burning with adrenaline too,  similar to a race, just never had that 2 days before!!

The Bus wrote (see)

Reps on the Rye SG? No chance of getting mown down by a car there! That's why I like my nice cycle track route - virtually no drives or side roads for a whole mile.

Reminds me of one of my first Moraghan sessions. I found it such a rude awakening having to run at a designated hard pace for a designated distance, as i was so used to just smashing it when i fancied then easing off. Think I managed to bungle the timing up too.

i'll see what the track is like the next 2 weeks, surely they're not going to just rip that out before the surroundings. I just need 1 lane for a while!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, things like that have a habit of righting themselves....maybe pace a slower bastad like me instead if you like?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

We shall see.  I've run two half marathons after a full week of proper illness (i.e. feeling a lot worse than I do now).  One of them I smashed a massive PB, and exceeded any expectations I had even without the illness.  The other one I walked 4 times and had an awful experience.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it all depends exactly how you feel. I did Gosport in 2010 having had a light cold in the week before, and I was ok, just breathed like i had asthma and the top end was limited.

I've done a couple of 10k/xcs with a fever and a light chest infection. Those weren't as slow as you'd think.

Can't imagine a half marathon would be much fun if you're less than 90% though!

• Erm, is this a good moment to remind everyone that I did a half in September with (probably) a virus and nearly drowned?

• Okay, I won't mention it then! image At least there is no river near the Reading course.

• Did my 10 mile PB feeling really bad. The days before I had a heavy cold, so much so I gave up the idea of running and went out for beers Saturday night. Sunday got up and had a contact 400 to stop the runny nose, felt better so started the race, lost the beers at 5 miles and came home sub 56.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to not think of a lot of things.

The miserable trundle of the last few miles just a yard or 2 behind Crispy in 2011 is one of them!

Not quite believing some cruel bast added a stretch where you see the stadium, but they take you down a different road away from it, and then straight back up it!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

The miserable trundle of the last few miles just a yard or 2 behind Crispy in 2011 is one of them!

I was feeling the same thing in 2011, only I was about 15 minutes behind you.  At this point, someone in a mankini overtook me.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's a strange mix of overwhelming crowd support in some places, and absolutely nothing in others.

• literatin wrote (see)

Okay, I won't mention it then! image At least there is no river near the Reading course.

Erm.... What about the one you cross a few times. 

Dachs,  as usual,  experience makes me cautious. If this illness has come and gone a few times of late then please pay attention to it. You've been missing paces and ramping training. Don't risk it. 

Pre illness I was on the best running form of my life. 

7.5km this morning in 45mins. 144bpm, 6/km avg.

• Dachs - fingers crossed its just pre-race hypochondria rather than a virus. Only thing you can do is think positive thoughts, eat and sleep well and see how you feel Sunday morning.

As for the HX track, I blame the scheme promoters rather than the planners image. (though its not helped by the planners, promoters, developers and land owners all being the same body!). I might get over to the track this weekend for one last session for the sake of nostalgia.

• 10.35 miles this morning on an out and back course from West Wycombe to Chinnor Hill so 5 miles out at 7:46 pace and 5 back at 6:44 pace. Obviously headwind and uphill is slower than tailwind and downhill.

Scores for Feb: 270.33 miles (biggest ever!) in 33:52:57 at an average pace of 7:31. Add 270 from Jan to that and it is 540 so far in 2014. Feb was 25 running days: same as Jan.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Scores for Feb: 270.33 miles.

Dammit, I've done 269.9 so far for Feb.  Running home will allow me to beat PMJ's total, but I shouldn't really.

In fact, going out this evening and running up and down my cul-de-sac twice will enable me to beat PMJ's total.  Or even doing a few reps between the living and dining room.  Tempting.

• Dachs wrote (see)

In fact, going out this evening and running up and down my cul-de-sac twice will enable me to beat PMJ's total.  Or even doing a few reps between the living and dining room.  Tempting.

Dachs, I'm planning a second outing later on today with the Garmin on, 4 toilets need to be cleaned and they are over 3 floors should add on a bit.

• Hey, I thought you weren't going to get bogged down with the figures image

Nice totals by the way!

We have roughly two more weeks at the HX track before the JCBs turn up, it's just the "official" last day on Sunday. Perhaps a locals session up there??

• Matt3 - inspired by your session I did 8 x 1k with 1 minute recoveries at lunch, though I would have been at about 800 metres as you reached 1k! I am also targeting Trafford 10k and was wondering how you have the next week planned out. Never really targeted a 10k so usual taper for previous races has been for half or full marathon. Cheers

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah should be possible to sneak a few more sessions on there Bus...though I guess Friday will be the next vaguely fast session.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Nice training everyone! Big miles from Dachs & PMJ, good work

Good luck for all racing at the weekend, smash it up.

You'll get back to form Iron, as I'm finding out, it can take a while.

Just easy running for me last week or so finally getting over injury woes. Did run the National XC but after 4miles fell apart, high on painkillers just didn't work. Dean came past at 4.6 miles and just disappeared into the distance!

A quick one for all you marathon runners, should the first 10 miles or so feel really easy or what? And then it just steadily ramps up in perceived effort? I have a very long race Sunday, about 3 1/2 hours as its 18miles/400 obstacles of severe mud but have never ran over 2 hrs so just guessing I should start epically slow. 

• .Seb wrote (see)
    A quick one for all you marathon runners, should the first 10 miles or so feel really easy or what? And then it just steadily ramps up in perceived effort? I have a very long race Sunday, about 3 1/2 hours as its 18miles/400 obstacles of severe mud but have never ran over 2 hrs so just guessing I should start epically slow. 

First 10 feels very easy, even to 20 isn't bad, then it gets harder. In reality it is no different to a half, 1 to 10 are easy and last 3 are hard: in fact any race, last bit is the hardest. Only thing with a marathon is that the last bit is a bit longer. I assume that your mind and body sort of agree on a pact and adjust the output to come to a grinding halt at the finish.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Maxpower, I'm no good at tapering myself! Just looked at the week I did leading up to Leeds and it was 

sat- 7 miles 5 @ tempo (5.27 pace)

Sun- full tour of pendle recce (17 miles 4800ft of ascent) 2 hours 46.

mon- off

tue- Am 4 pm 6 easy 

wed- am 4 pm 6 easy

thurs- 8 easy

fri- off

sat- 4 easy with strides

sun- race.

i might park run tomorrow and then long run Sunday. Won't be doing the full tour again though! Ha. I may well scrap the early morning runs during the week and someone advised me to do a 10x 1 min session on Tuesday to keep the legs ticking over. I've never really had a plan in all honesty. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

seb. i dont remember coming past you and 4.6m is a very exact moment  image, was that on the last lap .  i only realised i finshed ahead a few days later when i saw some of the videos.  you are clearly not 100% at the moment & if i can play mother..should you be doing an 18m obstacle event this weekend? and are you better resting for the intercounties next week?

• My thoughts exactly Dean! But no one should take advice from me as I never even listen to my own advice image. Seb - trying to do a race with 400 (400???!!!) obstacles that is likely to take not far off double your longest run does seem a bit of a big ask, even by your standards! If you are going to do it, then yes - start off slow and hope for the best!!

Matt - with a properly executed plan, you would be dangerously quick.....

Right, must get myself off to bed, before I get sucked into the Team GB thread again!

• Cheers Matt. Will substitute the pendle run for gentle 10 road longton moss. Think I will do 8 x 400 on Tuesday the follow what you did for Leeds.
  • .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Cheers Phil I'll just treat it like a marathon then.

Indeed 4.6miles Dean, I was jump cruising with dead legs so noted when you came past, it was the end of the second lap.

Probably a tounch out of my depth with this race but not really injured anymore, just undertrained. Probably will be injured afterwards though.

Yes Bus 400 obstacles! 4 laps of 7km with lots of cold water/lake crossings etc. 6/160 finished last year. So no shame in DNF'ing. Its in Dorking that's somewhere down your way I guess.