Mizuno Reading Half Marathon

Comments

• Thank you, haven't run it since 2009 and not had a chip in the race no before. Cheers!

• Paul Terrill wrote (see)

Yes, does anyone ever take up the pubs offer? I have been tempted in the past...

I took some of the beer on offer from the Nag's Head last year Paul - it didn't go too well with Lucozade Sport image

• i could do with a pint noe met a chap in wh smiths to day said he was hoping to finidh under 1 hour 6 mins i suspect he will beat me to morrow

• Have a brilliant race tomorrow everyone.

• agree Johnny - hope everyone has a good run image

• Good morning for it, much better than last year. Andp - you have helped me to decide not to be foolish and down a pint on the way...Enjoy all, I love races.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well, sitting here in sunny, erm, Reading, it looks out the window like a reasonable day for a bit of running. Enjoy, and step along because it's forecast for rain after lunchtime.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

See. I told you. It's pissing down now.

Was happy in the end with 1:48 something. I started off well and was on for 1:45 but faded badly in the last three miles. Lack of long runs over winter because of flooded routes to blame, I think.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The results are up. My gun time was 25 seconds slower than my chip time. Yet my gun position is over 400 places behind my chip position. Am I being thick, because I don't get it.

• You would expect your gun position to be behind your chip position if you ran faster than those that started before you. I agree that 400 people behind seems a lot for 25 seconds time elapsed...but I guess people cross the line very quickly at the start...

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Sorry, I meant to say my gun position was ahead of my chip time despite being slower.

• Also I think the gun time is for your section, they did 5 different starts.

• Ahhhh yes see what you mean, just checked mine and I have the same anomanly...I think they are provisional results so maybe there's a glitch. My chip time seems right to me and that's the main thing!

• 1:48 is still a v good run Muttley.

I always love this event -seeing former school mates, colleagues, friends en-route.

Pleased I finished strongly today.  I was over-taken by Pete M with the 2:15 pace-flag down Kendrick Road, but I managed to catch him on the slope up to the Mad Stad.

• I think I may have worked it out. Gun time is for your section , mine was blue, but gun position was for the whole race, I think. so for me, 500 or so people ran faster than my time, but they started behind me. I think. But I am tired. Gonna have a beer now.

• Yes well done to all. 1 48 a great time Muttley.

I did a pb today, previous fastest was 1 55 so today's 1 45 was amazing and I am so proud, I worked my ass off to get it so it means all the more. I love this event too.

Again, well done to everyone.

• That was good fun. More hilly than I was expecting and a bit of a headwind for the last 2-3 miles but the weather stayed decent. Until the hour-long queue to retrieve my stuff from the bag drop that is. That was a shambles.

I ran a 1:36:53 - PB by 3 1/2 mins which I'm happy with, although the first 2 miles were really slow from the red pen. To be expected from a big event I guess. Only other gripe is that I overtook the 1:35 pacer after about 8 miles as he was well off the pace and I think a reasonable crowd were just keeping pace with him, he must have come in nearer 1:40.
  • Well done everyone,great spectator support as usual.

Used the shuttle buses for first time,well organised great service.

Nice medal,and wasn't expecting a t shirt !

Had family spectating,so didn't experience the bag drop/collect.

I started with the 1.35 pacemaker and the plan was to push ahead about half way round,which I did.Saw the 1.30 flag on the double back at green park near finish.Came in 1.33:50 which is a few seconds off a pb,so not the best result.

The only way I think could improve the race,the start is very congested for the first few miles.Maybe staggering the start a bit more would help.I saw one guy really face plant,and someone else was shouting at someone as he just got tripped over.

See you next year !

• Thanks to the 1:55 pacer I bagged a PB ducking just under 1:54. Really delighted as I didn't think I had it in me. For me worst bit now isn't the dual-carriageway or the Green park loop it's that 600 metres before you get into the stadium. It's uphill. I never noticed before!

Am I imagining it or was the route very slightly different in second half?

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭

Hi, I took some videos at the finish at Reading today. here is the one of the runners finishing in 1.11.33 to 1.30.02 ...just in case you are interested image

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hey Muttley - great to `bump` into you today. I ran a 01:47:48 image 

Reading (& the locals) still knows how to put on a race.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that was hard going today. In the 1hr 17s but probably was after better.

Very windy in places, few cheeky ups and downs and turns.

I heard that the sub 1hr 30 pacer did the first 2miles at 5.40 pace! Made me laugh.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

And good to see you, Mr K. I couldn't keep up and finished 30 seconds after you. You were looking well relaxed.

Next up is Bracknell?

• Yep,im in Bracknell Muttley,another good local run.

But don't forget Maidenhead Easter 10 before that.Good race,local to me.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭

hi again, also took 2 videos of the start in case anyone is interested

first   

second

• Well, I finished in 1:52:20.  That's a PB by 22:30 on my last attempt 5 years ago.  Definitely something to aim for next year now.  I love this race but I do wish that entrants would submit realistic estimates of how long they expect to take. I finished right in the middle of where I stated I expected to yet I had to spend the first 2 miles trying to get past so many people with blue numbers going at a pace that would have put them in the pen behind me, not in front.

I wouldn't want to hold anyone up so I refuse to play that game myself but it's really tempting I have to say.

• Gary Lindsay wrote (see)

Well, I finished in 1:52:20.  That's a PB by 22:30 on my last attempt 5 years ago.  Definitely something to aim for next year now.  I love this race but I do wish that entrants would submit realistic estimates of how long they expect to take. I finished right in the middle of where I stated I expected to yet I had to spend the first 2 miles trying to get past so many people with blue numbers going at a pace that would have put them in the pen behind me, not in front.

I wouldn't want to hold anyone up so I refuse to play that game myself but it's really tempting I have to say.

Well done Gary, I was about a minute behind you. With a big race I don't think they're ever going to solve this issue, unless they start yanking people out who are in wrong pens. Once you've done a few races you realise its not helping anyone to start ahead of where you should - especially yourself (being overtaken is demoralising). Sticking around the pacers really helps as everyone is going same pace. Certainly helped me. So my solution would be more pacers!

• I finished at 2:04, very pleased with this result for my first time! 

Perhaps they should look at getting people to submit online their expected finishing times nearer to race day, ie after the packs are sent out. I have no idea what finishing time I'd entered with as that was back in october time. Started in the pink pen and spent the whole race overtaking people including catching up with and overtaking the 2:20, 2:15,& 2:10 pacers. It wasn't until after about 9 miles that I seemed to fall into pace with people around me running at a similar speed. Yes, its a massive confidence boost running past so many people but had I not spent the first couple of miles trying to get past people and jumping up and down from the pavement I reckon I would have finished nearer the 2 hour mark. 

• Well done Gary and Emjay.  I agree with Johnny, you can predict a time in October but multiple factors could affect how ready you are to perform on the day.

Gutted I missed Mr K - we're you wearing "those shorts" again Mr K?

• A great race and much better weather than last year. Managed a 7 minute PB of 1:30:01 - curse those two extra seconds!

People starting in the wrong pen was a problem all the way through. I started in the middle of the Red pen, right up the front about half way between the 1:30 and 1:35 pace makers. Even at that level I still spent the first 2 miles overtaking people who clearly were nowhere near the 7:00 per mile pace needed to be right near the front of the race. I know pacing is hard, but it's not difficult to work out that if you can't run 1 mile in under 7 minutes then you shouldn't be starting at the front of such a big race.

The only thing that really let the race down was bag collection. Not the best plan to arrange the bag tent in number order and also issue the bibs in predicted finish time order. All this meant was that at any point in time one section of the bag collection had a massive queue, while the others were largely empty. A far better approach would be to arrange the tents by last digit of race number (e.g. numbers ending 0 or 1, numbers ending 2 or 3 and so on). That way the bag collect would be evenly distributed across the entire tent.