I hate Lucozade

Well I'm in London with a Club spot. I ran my first Marathon at Loch Ness but found out the night before that there was only Lucozade available. I can't stand the stuff so I was forced to run with a bottle carrier for the race. Not a problem other than the fact my juice ran out at 18 miles.

So, does anyone know if Lucozade is the only thing on route? Or is there an alternative?

I hope I don't have to run with the bottle carrier again as it slows me down and I look like a bit of an arse!

Comments

• You could take energy gels (attach to clothing) and wash 'em down with water?
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    think it's water every mile and lucozade every 5
  • I'd carry a couple of those chocolate covered Hi5 energy bars and use water.
  • One piece of advice, apart from tipping it down the drain that is, is to drink it rapidly!

Do not sip it! It seems to really upset the stomach more when sipped.
  • There's water, and this year there was a chap at the roadside unofficially handing out cartons of exotic fruit juices. And I'm sure the supporters at Mile 18 will be happy to have some of your favourite drink for you.
  • Mate, you've got a place, so stop moaning.
  • Hi Vrap

I'm looking forward to some attention at mile 18 as well., when I come cruising (hah I wish) down the hill!!
  • lucozade is vile (for me, it's heartburn and nausea rolled nicely into one).....i use a hydration backpack thing filled with 2l of whatever i please....get to avoid the sticky drinks stations too, this way.... must admit it pissed me off in flm this year as i was too hot, but never bothered me before!
  • Not only does lucozade taste pants- but it's damned sticky too! Last year I spent ages trying to stop my fingers from sticking together after sampling the delightful stuff for the first time.
    The other downside is how it sprays over your legs when you run onto a half drunk foil container.
    Me I'm sticking to water, jelly babies and some gloopy stuff (that's susposedly tasty gel) and hope I get enough sugar to get home (but not necessarily dry).
  • this will be my 1st FLM. not tried lucazade yet, saving it for my longer runs but anticipating it will give my delicate stomach the cramps!!
    jelly babies work well and have eaten dates on half marathons with no problems
    by the way what happens at 18 miles everyone seems to mention it!?!
  • Likewise, especially the Orange and Berry flavours....
  • Well it works for me - I take some on all long runs.

Happy new year Dibble.
  • I like the berry stuff but not keen on the rest.
    I quite like gatorade. The best one I found was a 'hypertonic' drink that I cant remember the name of. Its like a football brand I think, and in a blue bottle.
  • Powerade is the one I reckon Nemo. I used it in my first marathon and use it for long training runs.
  • I drink Lucozade even though I don't really like it. But then I'm the same with choccies and crisps, seem like a good idea at the time, then I wish I hadn't afterwards.

Lucozade is nowhere near as bad as SIS though. I took some at RH Marathon (stupidly, you live and learn), not only could it be used as carpet glue (and then some) it was FOUL!
  • I quite like it ? Am I weird ?
  • The drink I was thinking of was umbro hypotonic. It was brilliant, and claimed to be up to 50% better at rehydrating than isotonic drinks --- but, the company that makes Lucozade complained to the Advertising Standards Authority, which were upheld.

Then they had a mysterious "contamination scare" shortly after. And had to recall all their produce.
    THEN they went into liquidation.

No wonder I havent seen it around for a while.

• * Hypotonic drinks are dilute carbohydrate electrolyte solutions which are less concentrated than body fluids and are therefore rapidly absorbed by the body. They begin the rehydration process while simultaneously helping to replenish carbohydrate energy reserves. No proprietary versions of such drinks are currently available on the UK market since an Umbro product was withdrawn;

* Isotonic drinks have a similar carbohydrate electrolyte concentration to the body's own fluids. They are best used later in the recovery process to boost energy intake while still encouraging fluid uptake during the final stages of rehydration. Proprietary brands include Liquid Power, Isostar and Lucozade Sport;

* Hypertonic drinks are solutions with a higher carbohydrate electrolyte concentration than body fluids. In general these types of drinks contain large amounts of carbohydrate and are therefore best used as energy supplements during periods of heavy training, when energy expenditure is likely to be high. Again, no proprietary versions are available in the UK, although you can make an isotonic drink hypertonic by making it up in a more concentrated form. If you prefer to drink water alone after exercise, it is possible to achieve adequate rehydration if solid food which replaces lost electrolytes is consumed at the same time. If this is not possible, some form of electrolyte solution is essential.

This does not mean you should never drink water after exercise - just that you need to take account of your levels of fluid and electrolyte losses. Where losses are high and large volumes of fluid need to be consumed in a short period, it is important to consume sodium in combination with fluids if fluid balance is to be achieved and maintained.
  • Nemo,
    Are you a sports drink salesman or a scientist?
    I thought running was supposed to be so easy that anyone could do it.
    What happened to drink plenty of water as you need it and put loads of salt on your Sunday roast after your long run?
  • I just found it on the web, and thought it was interesting.

Tap water is still a favourite of mine.