Boston 2014

Got an official acceptance email last night image Has anyone else got in?

Comments

• Yep, I'm in...just trying to find reasonably priced accommodation!  Done it before?  If so, any recommendations?

• Not done it before and had to pay for a Hilton as it's also my honeymoon image

Flights seem reasonable though

• Congratulations in advance image

My first time running Boston as well.  Visited as part of holiday in 2007 I think.  Found good deals for flight plus room on Expedia last night, few miles out of town though, need to do some more digging around. 

• I'm rather looking forward to Boston next year. 161 or so days to go now....

We're going out the Wednesday beforehand, so if anyone else is out there and fancies a little run beforehand (or afterwards) let me know.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I'm in too. I'm also doing London 8 days earlier, so won't be racing Boston.

I believe Back Bay is the area to stay as it's near the finish and the touristy stuff. I got a hotel in Long Wharf area which I have the option to cancel, should I find anything more suitable nearer the time (I supect there will be a fair few cancellations).

• My 16 week training schedule starts on Monday.   Hotels have been booked for months using Marriott points but still have to sort out flights

I am not working in week one of the schedule so I should be able to complete the schedule and get off to a good start

Good luck everyone!

• So how's training going fellow Bostonites??

Have we all got our flights and accommodation sorted? I'm staying out of town in Newton... But will keep a look out for something cheap and central...

Anyone ran this before who can offer any advice (about the course, the city or anything useful!)
  • Into week 3 now - so far so good but only still building up.  Folksworth 15 this weekend will be a good test

Flights not booked but booked hotel last May!   Using Marriott points to stay near Boston Common

3rd time in Boston for me.  I'm not sure how you get to the start from Newton but the buses from Boston start at Boston Common and there are big queues.  I guess the queues will be even bigger this year with the bigger field.

Hotels are not cheap over marathon weekend so having something in the bag is useful and if you can find something nearer the time then even better.

Last year, I went to Fenway Park to watch the baseball on the Saturday afternoon which was fun and cheap!   There is a place where the club allows ticket holders to sell on any spares at face value and I picked up a $20 ticket easily.  I guess it depends how well the team is playing as to how popular tickets are

• Janury completed!   180 miles including several at MP and slow 17 miles last weekend in 2.40. 

Very pleased with progress but it gets tougher.  Longer for 20 miles thsi Sunday and lonegr MP run mid-week ... and still 100% on Jantastic!

• Good going Mark...

Seven long runs done, only five to go! So far so good; a good mix of distance, MP runs and Tempo sessions so far and more importantly managed to avoid any injuries!

I guess we find out our starting times/pens pretty soon...

52 days and counting!
  • 4th 20 miler done today.  23 hilly miles in 3:18 - feeling OK.   Managed a few MP runs over the last few weeks, including last Wednesday - 10 miles at 7.25 - could not have done 2 months ago. 

Feeling confident that I can get close to my 3:20 target.  Will get a better idea of the Boston plan after Oakley 20 in 3 weeks

50 days to go today.   Flights & hotels all booked ...

• Did my second 24+ miler today, not very quick but the idea being I was on my feet for the same time I should be on marathon day!

Got a 20 mile race next Sunday followed by a half the weekend after, then two more MP runs before taper time!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Good running all

Got an email today to verify my details so may be getting more start info soon. The days are ticking away fast though March is still a big month to get through. 200 miles in January and 258 in February. 22.5 miles on Saturday in 2.59 . 5 more LRs and a HM to go I think.

Now to work out how to get all I need to the start without a bag--- old clothes with lots of pockets ?

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

after starting this thread i have been in my own world running and preparing for a wedding!! Nice to see people are getting stuck into the big mileage. I have had a poor winter and its only over the last few weeks i have just had to go for longer mileage runs - still done two 20+ now and managed a hilly 22 miles in 2.50 on Sunday. Should be part of a great few weeks for me - getting married on the 5th April - London Marathon on the 13th - Boston on the 21st as part of my honeymoon - only condition with the fiancee is that she can spend loads on 5th Avenue in New York if i am allowed to run. 

Which hotels are people staying at - i have the Doubletree at Cambridge - Flying out from Heathrow on Friday morning on Delta

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I'm also doing London/Boston and a trip to NYC!

Staying in Marriot Long Wharf...or something like that.

• Hi all, glad to have found the Boston forum! Getting really excited now but also a bit nervous about the hilliness of the course as where I live is pancake flat. I've been doing my longer runs on hillier routes, but does anyone have any advice about how bad the Boston hills are? Not sure whether to swap my weekly speed sessions for some hill repeats.

Thanks

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

Bib numbers and corrals have now been posted on the BAA website.image

• Great! Just saw them- Wave 1 so will have to get the bust at 615 am- still better than it was at NYC!

Wondering what sort of food to carry to keep going till 10 am? What will be available at the start? Am staying in the Sommerville area not fr from Porter on the T line (that's pretty Bostonian already) image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Long shot- me too wave 1 corral 8 . Early bus ( short walk from hotel) and a start time about 10.20 allowing for corrals ,so that means breakfast at 5.30 will be a distant memory and a top up essential. Thinking of stuffing my pockets with ham sandwiches and flapjacks to supplement the bagels and coffee at the start area. My bib is red which as a Welshman and Liverpool supporter is a good omen 

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i'm early too - wave 1 corral 4. - red bib - got to get the wedding out of the way first then its all system go for the two big ones. Been watching the videos on YouTube for the course - does look a little scary at the end with those hills around 18 miles. 

• bagels and coffee sounds good 2old.. andy - good luck and congratulations for the wedding and for london- have transferred my London place for next year..

When are you guys flying out? I am hoping to fly out on Sat - 19th.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Have you not got flights yet?
  • I'm entered as a non-time qualifier, so am happy with my yellow bib placing me in the last wave! image

• Did Boston in 1999 it is awesome just enjoy every minute

• No not yet Andy- have a complex itinerary- planning too spend some time in the US after the race

• Tealsocks - I'll be starting at 11 with the old blokes and the middle-aged ladies image

Getting quite excited now - just trying to work out what I can do or see on the Saturday and Sunday without tiring out my legs too much.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Got my Boston runners passport today ...exciting stuff 

• Booked my flights finally - will get there on 19th eve!!

• Running Rodent wrote (see)

Tealsocks - I'll be starting at 11 with the old blokes and the middle-aged ladies image

Getting quite excited now - just trying to work out what I can do or see on the Saturday and Sunday without tiring out my legs too much.

I was reassured by the runners passport where it said the finish line closes 6.5 hours after the last runner crosses the start line.  Since I'm in the last pen of the last wave (11:25 start!) I'll just need to make sure that last runner isn't me.  Gives my twingy right leg a bit of a buffer! Getting very excited though! image