Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Johnas, did you get the Seb info elsewhere? I thought I might have accidentally "Hidden" his posts for a second, but checking, he isn't on hide....

Iron, you cheeky rascal. image

I was nicely organised and parked in the blue carpark, so if I'd been simply aiming for home, I was about 800m off the M4, and an easy drive home,

Instead, I thought I'd complicate things with a ridiculous plan to drive Samir to the station, hop into some random pub to join Sandhurst (and Lit and pal), and then with Lit and pal go to some restaurant (get me!)

In the end, I used up any remaining energy just about getting Samir to the station!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just to clarify a bit, P&D had a 14m MP session this week, but Lit wanted to flat out race Reading, rather than just use it as a session.

Therefore, the 14m MP was scrapped, with a flat out half taking its place.

Gosport, while a pb, was underpar, due to a preceding ankle injury and illness right before.

Therefore, the residual fitness we'd already built, combined with the marathon training produced a big gain. Very nice indeed.

With a good conversion level historically between half and marathon, she's got half a chance of the biggest benchmark of them all.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's next week the 14 mile MP session was meant to be, I think; was going to do it as part of Ashby 20 but then qualified for the inter-counties which is the day before. Either way, there's enough racing going on at the moment so clearly it's sensible for SG not to let me do massive MP sessions on top!

We never made it to that pub either - spent most of our time in the ludicrously slow, cold bus queue and then made it to the restaurant only half an hour after our original booking, though I managed to squeeze the quickest shower in the world in too.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Oi, stop pushing in image

Gosport Dachs?

Clashes with Leeds Abbey Dash, which is my autumn focus.  I want to do Maidenhead at some point, but it's a date I can't do this year.

I was looking around and thinking maybe Bristol.  It makes sense time-wise, and geographically from my parents'.  Anyone run it?  Potential PB course?

literatin wrote (see)

We never made it to that pub either - spent most of our time in the ludicrously slow, cold bus queue and then made it to the restaurant only half an hour after our original booking, though I managed to squeeze the quickest shower in the world in too.

Where did you eat in the end?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah yes, a week apart, so in the end Reading becomes the 14 MP that was next week, and the 18 that should have been this week, becomes next week's 20.

It only works with that XC race on the sat if you make sure the 20  "Race" is done at Easy pace.

It's all too close to marathon day to be pushing things.  But you know that.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, have heard the Bristol 10k and half are both fast. But that's all I have to go on, and looking at times from others...

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Johnas, did you get the Seb info elsewhere? I thought I might have accidentally "Hidden" his posts for a second, but checking, he isn't on hide....

SG - Seb posts his Garmin runs on that group that johnas set up - sounds like it was indeed a tough day at the office!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah fair enough! I also know some of the forumites on here are a little cooler than me, in that they don't have to thrash a report up asap image

Although in fairness, I did take til about 6pm last night...but wasn't going to try and fat finger it on a smart phone!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Dachs - we went to Bel & the Dragon. Bit pricey, but fabulous roast beef made it all worth it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looking at the prices, combined with the travel and the actual entry fee, just as well you smashed the race! image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Free accommodation though!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I love the Bel and Dragon.  I would have recommended it to you, but you were asking for pubs, so I stuck to the brief.

• Dachs wrote (see)

Clashes with Leeds Abbey Dash, which is my autumn focus.  I want to do Maidenhead at some point, but it's a date I can't do this year.

Any interest in a thread trip to Leeds Abbey Dash? I was trying to drum up interest from Dashers who do Brighton 10k but it is the exact same day, Sun Nov 16th, and I doubt I can persuade them to travel to Leeds instead of Brighton.

Maidenhead Half is 7th Sep and is a Dashers Champs event so I will be doing that, Cabbage Patch and hopefully Leeds as an autumn bunch.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Is Maidenhead on UKA now? Might do that and CP10 (if I'm recovered by thenimage)

Easy 6 miles at lunch. legs are a bit tired despite not running long.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Is Maidenhead on UKA now?

I don't think so, seems to be ARC so rivals.

I note Maidenhead Half replaces Wokingham Half in the Berks champs and after 0 races, Dachs is last: hah, J beats W.

http://www.berkshireathletics.org.uk/pdf/rrt2014.pdf

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Looking post race on the official splits, first 5k was 17.40, and second 5k was 17.11. Showing the ups and downs..

hang on hang on... that second 5k is obviously 18.11...I can't count  imageimage

Ok so it doesn't really matter now, but having just got the "official splits" email through, I realisd on here the 17.40 was the end of my overall time, and not the first 5k at all.

Instead, it has

5k 18.38
    10k 35.51
    15k 54.54
    20k 1.13.46

So it was a 17.13 second 5k after all, showing where the downs kick in, compared to the ups of the first 5k after all.

This is all if the chip mats were in the right area, which going off the markers wasn't.

Oh well...we move on!

• Nice to read your race reports all.

Managed to hit the gym today for some rehab. Very light and easy with minimal exertion and no elevated heart rate, but got in some mobility work, leg press, curls/extension, calf raises and lunges. And then 2 x 10 reps of taking my arm out of sling & straightening it - defiantly the hardest part!! But been advised to try and keep elbow moving.

Good to do something!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - just got my splits too. My second 5k was 16:46!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that was a nice down section, but even still they come out sharp.

Nikki, Is that under the watchful eye of a physio? Take it easy!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Good Racing and reports guys, despite not quite the outcomes you were after you still posted good times. Definitely tough conditions out there yesterday. Wind picked up throughout the day, I heard Silverstone Half was a nighmare too.

Wouldn't be too disheartened Dachs, Still a while till the big target eh.

Great Run Lit, well done for pulling one out of the bag!

Nice XC Medalling Ric, glad you are enjoying racing.

I would like to get back on the fells Matt, just they are a bit far away! Will do a few fell races this year when I get back into shape.

Tough outing for me at the obstacle race, resulting in a DNF, after about 6  neck high lake crossings and 15 river crossings plus about 400m wading along streams my feet were just blocks of ice, So when the wind picked up and I started to get rather cold, losing a shoe @17KM in a mud filled ditch just about broke me as it took about 5mins to find a marshal helpful enough to get the knots undone and get the damn mudclaw back on. Although I was still in 4th place, when he said I think you need an ambulance I decided to I jack it in, took a foil blanket and wandered off. I was simply under dressed for the amount of water on the course, lots of people were sensible with neoprene wetsuits on and stuff but still not many made it to the finish. Toughest race in the country probably. Loads of mud, made a XC look like a sunday stroll. Maybe I'll post a pic at some point even though this is a running forum! All entertaining and a learning curve.
    I'll go back and smash it next time.

On another note my injuries all gone away now and I'm back with renewed motivation. Just going to pump the easy miles in and build a base back up from scratch again. See you at the Inter Counties Dean, I better make an easy start this time otherwise will surely blow up again.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what on earth kind of event were you doing Seb? Deary me!

Sounds an utter nightmare. Just as well you got out while you could still make that decision then eh?!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good news on being injury free Seb. Well done for making the right decision and keeping yourself alive yesterday!

I'm such a dunce! All of this talk about doing the Marlow Duathlon, and I've just checked the date - it's a week on Sunday when I'm in the Yorkshire Dales on an FRA navigation course - doh! How did March turn up so quick without telling me?

Nikki - slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!

• There is always the Newbury du Bus? 

Welcome Nikki. I bet that felt great! 

Sensible decision Seb. Glad to hear the injuries are gone. 

1hr on turbo tonight. This week I get T,  Th and Sa off image 

PMJ,  I should be winning that list as A is first. I have an email from Berks confirming my entry to the list. Hmm... Not that it actually matters! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done on surviving that Seb.

And to think that people now pay good money to subject themselves to that sort of thing. How times change.

In WW2 the allies didn't pay at all, with the Japanese laying out the course for free.

🙂

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Welcome back Nikki and well done for not drowning in mud, Seb. I am hoping there will not be drowning quantities of mud at the inter-counties, where I will be racing somewhere near the back of the senior women in a green vest, if you want to shout some encouragement.

In other news, still can't quite believe my new half marathon PB, and have written an SG-style three-post illustrated report on Skinny's thread so won't repeat it here. But - they haven't sent me an e-mail with my splits! I had to look them up myself in the official results. I suspect the mat positioning isn't that reliable, but it says I beat my 10k PB by 3 secs and my 5k PB on the downhill bit. Definitely time to work on those shorter distances after VLM!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Lit & Seb, timetable is up for our races at inters on sat.  Lit you go at 11.50 and seb & I at 2.40.  but bad news is it doesnt appear to be live on SkySports this yr.

Seb - crazy event mate and glad to hear you survived it and was running well up until hypothermia was kicking in.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seb - sounds terrible.  Hope it doesn't have any lasting effects.  Well done for giving it a bash, but it does sound like a ridiculous event.  I'm steering well clear of that kind of thing.  I'm not a tough guy...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be too surprised Lit to break an entire raft of pb's during an event such as a HM. Its been done before by many who have moved up a couple of levels.

I did myself in 1990 during a 10 mile race. Three weeks before I'd run a rather exhausting 17:35 for a road 5k and declared at the time I'd run the 10 miler faster.

Beat every pb as I went, 5k, 5 mile, 10k and the rest. 56:09 (5k average pace 17:27)

Even a pulled muscle didn't stop me. Forced me from 5:30's to 5:50's when the pain got a bit much.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That time when you set a big pb at one distance, and get to equal it against the other distances is always the best time in running.

It's that time you're not getting close enough to your pbs that you have to sit tight through, and hope you get back to the former period!

• Seb - sounds awful! Like others have said, well done for just canning it. Not worth it.

Just read your race report Lit. Great read image When I'm back up and running I'm going to be stalking you in the hope I can replicate your success.