Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Likewise Ric - my 5k and 10k (unofficial of course!) PBs all came within a ten miler - GSR in 2012 and I'm yet to get close in the actual distance!

7 muddy, but sunny miles this morning. All OK. 5-6M of similar this evening to come, with intervals tomorrow.

Any thoughts on some good interval sessions for 5M to 10k race distances, that don't require a track? 

• 7mi Bus, and no discussion of niggles? Progress?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed Iron! Just the twinge behind the knee that is easing, but main groin problem gave no trouble. Not going to get too excited just yet though, and will build the distance only slowly. May be 8 on Sunday, if the rest of the week is ok.

• Really pleased to hear the injuries of Bus and Seb seem to be clearing! Slowly getting back to a fully fit forum!

Seb, post the pics... it sounds like it needs to be seen to be believed! I'd never do any of that crazy obstacle stuff.  

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Bus - do some timed reps eg 1min, 2 min or 3min reps. I often do a 5M inc 20mins of 30sec hard/30sec easy at lunch. I havnt run on a track since I was a nipper. However you get no real pace specific feedback from these sessions - but thats fine as I'm not interested anyway. I take 30sec jog rest off the 3min reps too (I've done 16 of them in 1/2 IM build up and even done 10x~1M with 30 sec jog rest too).

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My record for 3 minute reps was 21, at 5:30 pace off 1 minute recovery.

Didn't achieve anything but being able to say I did it. That's what a 'proving' session does. Proves you're fit enough to do it. But destroys you in the process.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Chaps. I'm not going to count my chickens just yet though, as I've been here before with this one, and can still feel something there when I turn etc, so might only be one over ambitious long run away from starting again!

That said, had a very nice 5M xc tonight in the fading light. A bit more like the old bus!

TR - good suggestions. I'm really looking for something to replace my standard half mile reps (so Dachs doesn't tell me off image) and the 30/30 sounds a good way of squeezing a useful session inot a tight lunch break. 30 sec rec off 3 min reps seems pretty tough mind - I usually have 90 secs off my half miles which take about 2:50. 21 Ric - that's insane, but then so is 10 x 1M off 30 sec image!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Ric - impressive !

Bus - the 10x1M or 20x 0.5M is typical IM training where its all about building strength. With the 20min of 30s/30s I always run the same 5M route and start the 20mins after 10min easy, you can build the pace as the reps go on and try to make the same sort of distance in the 20min. I did this once or twice a week before Gosport last year, and it gave me a bit of leg speed. I dont do much structured training usually. With no real pace pressure you can run the reps a bit easier if needed. Its all about a little bit of stimulation than some annhiliation !

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Last word on Reading half...how's this as a progression... from being minutes behind a chump like me at Wokingham last year, to now smashing a sub 73min half!

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=112753

Ranked 2 in the UK for 2014 so far.

I know we're only in early March, but Reading was the UK half marathon champ race!

I wonder if she trains at a semi/professional level. Has abs of steel.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The mistake many make is running a 'peak performance' race and then deciding that's their 'new' 'base' level. It isn't.

It happens in golf. A guy shoots a couple of rounds in 4 or 5 over par when 12 over is his usual standard and thinks he is now a single figure handicap golfer. He isn't.

When you analyse each round you'll see they were made up of 28 putts and 10 lucky bounces. Runners get the same. A streak of luck, of conditions, a period where the guy who pisses you off on a daily basis is transferred. To prison.

Once fit, my base HM was 76/77 minutes. Ran loads of them. But occasionally I had a peak. I ran 75 minutes once, 74 minutes once and 73 minutes once.

Progression is not linear. Its peaks and troughs.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, I've got one of your specials this Friday. But higher reps and intensity!

7x800 at 5k pace off 90secs

That'll be some tasty work.

Just hope the track is still runnable.

Surely they won't have ripped it all up in 5 days?!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seems spot on what I'm seeing old son Ric.

4x77s now, and that one 75:xx standing out like a sore thumb.

Hopefully it wasn't luck though image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Solution is to go back on the numbers that indicated 78 minutes for the base level.

Tick along with the appropriate zones and wait. 

A top cyclist called Andy Cartright called this phase waiting for the feeling of 'inner vigour' to arrive. You can't force it. Its a real patience job.

One day you wake up and find you are unable to 'run that slow'. Now you're ready.

Cut the mileage in half, double the rest periods, up the intensity.

Then race. 

Stagger yourself.

Give up and start again.

That's true progression.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I don't know about all that son, but I do know that even 10 milers are averaging sub 7 now, whereas last spring they were slower.

So can't be in too bad a place.

• 4 x 1 mile tonight. Week before a race so recovery was 2:30. Session was nearly called off as I had blinding cramp in my stomach on the warm up and throughout the day the whole world and his mates have fallen out my arse! Ploughed on though...

Reps: 5:39, 5:39, 5:42, 5:39. Pace felt good, had the odd feeling that I was going to poo myself on the odd rep but I survived with clean pants. Win/win. Just easy running till 10K MT on Sunday.  

That's a nasty looking mega bus session coming up!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

SG - maybe you need to ease back the pace of your 10 milers again then, and save the matches for the tougher training.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

So your training runs are faster and your races are slower. 

Sessions harder, everything else much easier.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, chuckled at the stomach/pants bit. Except when it really is bum to bush time, that feeling normally means it's a spot on intensity you've found.

I'm listening chaps, but the easy pace is still in the zone, and the quality sessions are coming out in their right zones (bar that late night underfuelled job).

The quality sessions would soon show things up as they're weekly, rather than the much more rare races.

Hopefully there's a good residual fitness, that just needs a slight change of emphasis to unlock it.

ps, and that won't be a marathon. Sorry if anyone got excited at the prospect image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

That's a nasty looking mega bus session coming up!

ps let's hope the track is still in some kind of order...I don't fancy trying to find a flat safe 1/2mile route for 7 reps!

Although I could look heroic doing it right outside work for everyone driving in

"yeah this is just my normal pace...honest"

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The track should be OK for Friday. As far as I know, the diggers aren't due in until the end of the week after, so enjoy the session!

Tish Jones progression is phenomenal. Even just last year alone, she went from 30 seconds slower than me at Wokingham to a 74 in just over 7 months!!

Stevie See - those are pretty tasty reps, despite the stomach issues! 

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

That 'Bird' lady you mentioned SG  from Reading is a friend of mine, my dad coached her at my old club for 5 years or so before she went to uni in USA. She had a great VLM last year I think it was, quite high in the GB ladies I think.

Cheers all re:the weekend, no lasting damage I can feel my feet now image I'll post a little pic in a day or so when they're up.  Little Vid though. I'm in the yellow top and camo hat for anyone who doesn't know what I look like.

Indeed super glad to be over those foot injuries Stevie See, praise the lord. Hope no-one gate crashes you MT race on Sunday, good luck!

Probably won't catch your race on Saturday Lit as the womens race is so early on compared to the men, so good luck also! Can't believe it won't be on TV this year. That's a shame. See you there Dean.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

How is it I can barely break 7 min miling on my easy runs? Granted it's a bit hilly round my way but I look on strava and garmin etc and every man and his dog is in the 6s. 

I must look like a jogger when I'm out, all the gear, no idea! 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Seb, bob from other threads spotted highlights of the inters are on the 15th march. So sky are filming it.    that video is mental, kudos for giving it a go but your coach must want to shake you as on one hand he has a county athlete who places highly in the birm league on the other hand he sees you doing 28m obstacle races image

matt - snap! only 2 of my easy runs have been sub 7 this yr. races are the most important and you have been very very fast

Track tuesday for me, 6*1200 off 200 jog rec. target was 3.58 ave.  they came out 3.58, 3.57,3.56, 3.58, 3.56 , 3.49.  Last rep had a kick finish and I flew.  Felt controlled on these reps so fitness is coming back.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Seb - that looks bonkers and brilliant at the same time.  Krypton Factor on steroids.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

seb, truly madcap stuff.

Matt, might just be the hills, maybe you just prefer to take the easy super easy. On your times i would have thought your easy zone started at 6.30 or so!

Just did a 12 at 6.53 pace. Had plenty to think about after yesterday night!

• From our police neighbourhood watch email:

Kingsmead Road has been the focus of attention over the last two months as part of an ongoing speeding operation. This has led to a number of drivers being stopped for speeding resulting in them in being offered the speed awareness course, taking the points on their licence and fine or being reported to court. The highest speed recorded in the 30 MPH area has been 43 MPH.

I don't know if I need to be happy or sad that the youth of today is being persecuted for 43 mph. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You on the Neighbourhood Watch PMJ?  It's not like you to be peeking through your net curtains, taking an unhealthy interest in what others are doing image.

One of my proudest moments was setting off one of those automatic 'Slow Down' signs when out for a run in a 30 mph zone.  Clearly a malfunction of some kind, but nice to dream. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, 43 down some bits of that road would be lunacy, whereas other bits pretty fine.

Either way only takes one person stepping out of the road at the wrong time, or a car doing something unusual, and it's misery all round.

Stay safe kids.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Funny you should mention that Dachs, at 5.15am yesterday I was going at a snails pace and one smiled at me briefly. Must've been faulty! 

6.30s feel too much like hard work SG. My morning runs are around 7.30-7.45 as my legs won't work. My evening ones area bit quicker, could also be with being on my feet for 10/11 hours in between runs.