Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Anyone use Heart Rate monitors? 

• Dachs wrote (see)

You on the Neighbourhood Watch PMJ?  It's not like you to be peeking through your net curtains, taking an unhealthy interest in what others are doing image.

One of my proudest moments was setting off one of those automatic 'Slow Down' signs when out for a run in a 30 mph zone.  Clearly a malfunction of some kind, but nice to dream. 

Dachs, it's actually my wife who gets the emails, I just monitor her emails ...

There is one of those speed cameras near the start of the Cabbage Path 10 which was flashing 11 mph as we went past at 10 mph. 

My whole thinking about road traffic is there should be a set of guidelines and then one crime which is driving like an idiot. 30 mph is purely arbitrary, and we all know from running on roads that a truck passing close by at 30 mph is far to fast and yet a considerate motorist passing with plenty of clearance at high speed is fine.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I beg to differ Phil. 30mph is NOT arbitrary. If hit at 30mph, over half of pedestrains will survive. At 20mph, this goes up to 80% survival, but the other way at 40mph, opver 80% die. Same principle applies to force of impact as to drag as far as speed is concerned.43mph in a 30mph zone where a child (or evn a distracted runner!) can end up in your path is deadly. Maybe you should be on the speed awareness course with those yoofs image

Seb - my only question is WHY???

Nice session at lunchtime today. 7 miles, with 5 x 1k off 90secs in 3:36, 3:34, 3:30, 3:33, 3:29. First one a bit cautious and the 34 and 33 slightly uphill, so happy with that. Slight twinge after, to remind me not to push TOO hard, but nothing major.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I would like to point out that Phil's opinion on driving speeds is not condoned by this thread.

As Bus says really.

Get hit at 30, survive. Get hit at 40, don't.

Bus, hurry up and get 100% again, so we can have a run. Nice reps.

• bus, 30 mph as a speed is not arbitrary, as you say there is a big difference with the outcome as a function of speed, but 30 mph as a limit is arbitrary.

If I am running out away from the town and 30 mph limits, then the speed limit is 60 mph. This means a car can come round a corner and hit me doing 59 mph and he is within the speed limit. Nonsense. It also means that at 3am on an empty motorway, it is illegal to do 71 mph. Nonsense.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, your persona on the forum is already set as pedantic stalker, it's too late to try and reinevent yourself as some renegade scofflaw.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I was once in a car where the driver almost quadrupled the speed limit. In getting there, the blood ended up at the back of my head and in stopping, my eyeballs almost came out.

They say friends you can choose, but family you're stuck with.

Not after that little episode. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

There's that word again - luckily I know what it means now image

Trouble is Phil, legislation has to deal with the lowest common denominator, and there are far too many drivers out there who do not seem to be able to use their own common sense! Ideally roads should be designed to be both self-exalining and self-regulatory, but that has never proved possible, other than retro-fitting expensive shared-use concepts or designing in such features in new estates. If Kingsmead Road had a national speed limit, there would be plenty of idiots assuming it was OK to drive down there at that speed!

The driver hitting you at 59mph may be within the speed limit, but there would be a good chance of them being prosecuted for causing death by dangerous driving, carelss driving or driving wihtout due care and attention.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

robT, I've been using HR monitors again lately.

I don't mess around within zones or the like. I use it simply to see how high my heart rate goes when doing sessions.

Tried one out today around a cricket pitch doing 1 minute on, one minute off. Did eight of these averaging sub 5:30. HR ended up at 174 bpm.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, imagine driving down Chapman Lane, (Wycombe half course 6ish miles) at 60mph.

That'd be a rush of the worst kind!

You're a council man, and I'll ignore it's nothing to do with your department to ask...why on earth do they put national speed limit signs on such roads?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

cos it's the law! There's been many proposals for changing the national speed limit on rural and minor roads over the years, but they all tend to get thrown out as an attack on civil liberties by the Clarkson brigade!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The reason for actually having a sign though, is that as well as marking the start of the national speed limit, it also marks the end of whatever the limit was before you got there. Without a clear end point, the previous speed limit is legally unenforceable. The world of The Traffic Signs and General Directions legislation is ful of this sort of pedantry!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember some wag had altered a sign in Marlow bottom quite geniusly so it read "80".

I wonder if anyone used that as an alibi

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ridiculously, they actually could have!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I know a guy who got off with a speeding offence because the consecutive 40 signs were slightly too far apart.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS, Matt, Tim N, Seb, rob or other northern/midlands types -  Stoke AC are holding their first track open on the 6th April.  All track distances covered from 100m to 5000.  the 5k is also county champs alongside the open.   Also for the 2nd open i am trying to convince the committee to turn the 1500m into a mile race instead.  that will be in August though.

http://www.stokeac.org.uk/stoke-open-1-2014.pdf

Rob - regards HRM i have one and used to wear it on my easy runs but i cant be bothered now.  i know some people can 100% train using the output / target of HRM but im happy enough with time/distance at the moment.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    CC82 wrote (see)

I know a guy who got off with a speeding offence because the consecutive 40 signs were slightly too far apart.

Exactly the sort of thing that happens with a good lawyer!  You can generally get out of any motoring offence that isn't just the opinion of a policeman if you dig deep enough!!

Anyway, back to running! Nice easy 5.5M xc this morning. Tired legs after 11 consecutive days of running (not much for some I know, but I normally have at least a day off a week). A bit firmer underfoot this morning compared to lately and a few warm days to look forward to allegedly!

Never used a HRM personally. Just don't fancy having a strap round my chest. You'd think thye'd be able to incoporate a sensor that could detect the pulse in your wrist by now.

Philip - you parkrunning at the Rye this weekend? I'm thinking about it (as long as they stick to the new route!)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Getting off driving offences. I know a guy who was clocked at 113mph down the motorway in a people carrier.

He managed a mere 3 month ban!

Bus, Your fancy not on HRM chest straps makes me think of the guy in one of my clubs who routinely finishes every race with blood streaming from his nipples.

When I suggested sticking plasters he said he couldn't because he hated the idea of peeling them off afterwards. 

A problem of letting imagination and perception over ride facts.

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I have an HRM that I started using last year until it rubbed so much on my chest on a 15 miler that I was bleeding by the end of it.  It's been worn a handful of times since.  In fact, I strapped it on yesterday for a 60 minute easy run just to see what the readings said.  Right enough - a rubbed bit on my chest by the end of it, thankfully not bleeding this time though.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - you parkrunning at the Rye this weekend? I'm thinking about it (as long as they stick to the new route!)

Finchley 20 on Sunday means day off Saturday.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    CC82 wrote (see)

I have an HRM that I started using last year until it rubbed so much on my chest on a 15 miler that I was bleeding by the end of it.  It's been worn a handful of times since.  In fact, I strapped it on yesterday for a 60 minute easy run just to see what the readings said.  Right enough - a rubbed bit on my chest by the end of it, thankfully not bleeding this time though.

I'm trying to see how this happens. If the strap is tightened enough it shouldn't move at all. Its elastic.

Having said that, I've seen runners with their shoes so loosely fitted I wonder if they ever learned to tie their laces.

Power intervals on the indoor bike this morning. Tension set really high. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds recovery. Using the HRM I noted the HR went up anything up 5 beats/minute after I stopped pedaling. This is why you don't have to max out your HR when running intervals. Just stop and it happens while doing nothing. 20 of these.

Short of sprinting up a near vertical hill, I don't its possible to replicate this type of loading just running.

Its a fact that you can only improve two things to go faster in a race. Stride length & stride frequency.

I can hit 200 strides per minute. That's a lot. But I don't run at 4:30 mile pace. That's because my stride is short. But I have total flexibility so the problem isn't range.

Only one thing left. It means I'm weak in the legs. So I'm working on that weakness. 

So there are numbers in my training. But I use them as facts not as targets.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

to be honest i though the same Ric.  there is no way my hrm strap would move around and rub.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Maybe the strap is positioned over their 'moobs'.

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

On the HRM strap thing - it was definitely too loose yesterday, granted.  When I was using it last year I had it really really tight and it was still rubbing.

I think it's to do with the positioning / weighing down that occurs by the plastic monitor clipped onto the front.  Because of that, the elastic strap is slightly pulled away from the chest and no matter how tightly adjusted, there seems to be a bit of "give" between strap and breast bone area.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I can't use HRM straps because they get in the way of my push-up brassiere.

• Back on HR based training here. I've always run with one on. I like numbers.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, out of interest, how do you account for hills, feeling slightly under the weather, different weather conditions etc.

Surely all of those will affect the readings?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, I'm sure I've heard references from you where you show satisfaction at hitting the 'zones' despite wind, rain and other aspects of adversity.

That's a flaw in fundamentals if ever there was one.

If you have to force the issue to make the 'numbers'. Then your understanding is that the important issue is the actual numbers rather than their meaning.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If only I could force into the zones in races eh Ric...in those it's all too easy to let all sorts put the pace down.

• I asked about HR as I went for a lactic threshold test this week and have been advised to train in 4 HR zones based on my blood lactic results and I plan to start next week after Trafford 10k.

The 4 zones are easy/recovery, lactic threshold, tempo and interval

I did a test run last night in zone 4 easy/recovery zone and my average pace came out at 6.35 when normally it would be 7-7.15ish very interesting

I was also told that my 5k/10k target times are too soft based on results and I need to push myself more!!!