RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Excellent target setting, 2old image  I'm in a similar boat albeit a slower oneimage  The missed training in September/October with my back injury is going to bite me in the bum if I get over-excited with setting my target pace. A target is sub 3:20 (I will need a lot of luck to nail that one!), B sub 3:24 (PB) and C target another sub 3:30. Based on feel I'd say 3:21 is probably the most realistic prediction right now. HM on March 23 should help me gauge better althought it's not supposedly not a fast course (2 laps, lots of narrow bits, road crossings and sharp bends). Pretty flat though.

O4S: shit, a torn hammy image   How long does it take to heal? Anway, you'll have a pair of very fresh legs on VLM day. Call it extreme taperingimage   completion date for the house is slightly inconvenientimage

Nice reps, Ant image

AA: that's brilliant! A decent enough HM time incorporating 5 and 10k PBs. Your rock!!

Bit of a strange run for me today - another 15 miler and again I split it into chunks of steady and MP with a warm-up and cool-down: Overall I was a wee bit faster (7:51 av. pace) than last week, but my HR was a lot higher. But while I felt completely wiped last week today I feel like I've only done a recovery run despite my legs hurting like hell about 8 miles in. Bizarre. Must have been the intervals the day before that made me so tired last week.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    2old - I saw something on another thread recently that said "What your mind believes your body will achieve" and I thought that was spot on in terms of the marathon target! A lot of it really is in the head image
  • No idea of a target for me - current thought is 3:20-3:25

12 hilly miles done before work. Lovely day. @7:42 pace. The first 5 were the slowest. Legs are mashed again! 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Tempo run on the TM for me, including 8km with alternating kms @ MP and HMP...About 7 miles in total. Felt harder than last week, so must still have some of Sunday's run in my legs.

Good running AA and Chick image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

chick - that's why I don't use HR, its far too much information for my little brain to process!  Very nice MLR there.

Freemers -  the thought of doing that run on the TM makes me feel image.  Good session so soon after your MP at the weekend.

AA - that's a good pace for mashed legs!  The first few miles of my runs are usually very slow.   If I have the dog with me its not unusual to clock up 10 m/m+ for the first mile.

O4S -   Does it hurt when you cycle?  I think you can live without a 20 before VLM.  The main thing is getting yourself sorted - house, hamstring etc etc.

2old - we're all in the 'if' and 'but' stage.  Our minds play tricks and really what we should do is look at the evidence and also our gut feeling.  I think the gut feeling accounts for a lot in marathon running.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Minni: if I'm honest I could probably live without VLM at the moment, never mine the 20.  Cycled in to work today and as long as I don't try to go up steep hills in a high gear I am fine.  Also told walking should be OK by the weekend.  At least if I come to spectate in London I won't be hanging around for long at the paces you are all targeting!!

I'm really fed up at not being able to run in the first decent weather we have had for ages.  BTW how are other people getting the smileys to work?  Mine appear on the i-pad but not the PC??????

Keep it up team, I'll be with you in spirit if nothing else - looking like a few weeks off at the moment  image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Freemers - I was just looking back to see if I could find it but cant - I remember you saying a few years ago, could have been when DD started mentoring me or maybe when I started with Moz, that you were watching with interest because we are a similar age with similar strengths.  I was thinking yesterday how we've really continued to improve at the same rate, chipping away at our longer distance times but not making much headway with the shorter ones.  It would be really good if we could both then nail that Champs start for next London. I'll be v45 by then. image image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-I agree-I never thought that I could ever contemplate going under 3.15, that was what proper club runners did, you know the ones who shot off and won the cross country every week at school whilst I plodded along hating every muddy moment of it. When I first did it ,it was in 3.11 .I messed up the settings on my Garmin so really only had a rough idea how I was going-no pace setting- working out the times in my head. It occurred to me that I hadnt made a time a target-I didnt think I could do 3.15 anyway .It was the nature of the way Boston works that did it for me-you get in your pace group starting zone and are sucked along with it. and its only when you hit the hills that it gets really tough and by then your at 18/20 miles and are nearly there having built up a cushion. Having gone under 3.15 then it never seemed so impossible or unattainable afterwards when I lined up for a race.During training I have no idea how I can get to and maintain the necessary pace.Thats what makes this game so facinating and addictive.  Nice tempo by the way

AA-it takes a while to recover from a HM and those miles on mashed legs are the ones that count anyway

Chick-good run there too.Funny that your heart rate is a bit high, mine is higher than it ought to be too.I think in my case Im probably on the point of over training and not properly resting on my rest days. It will be interesting to see which waves we are put in at Boston.

DD-where are you?

Managed to squeeze in a steady 6.8 miler this lunch time...the strong head winds made it tough for 4 of them

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Minni - I remember saying that too - and I have to say if it wasn't for this forum there is no way I would be running the sort of marathon times I am, I'd definitely still be mulling around the 3.30 mark, and probably feeling very happy about it. It's great to see how others are training and it just gives me the incentive to push that little bit harder, turn the speed up just a notch and it seems to be working. I think we've all done a brilliant job at pushing each other to new heights image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Freemers - you're right.  The biggest obstacle is getting consistency throughout the year/years and definitley by being surrounded by others doing this makes it all feel normal and becomes a way of life.

My MIL couldn't understand why I'd gone for a 12 mile run yesterday, while Miss Minni was at her interview, instead of just going around the shops and having coffee.  I told her I 'needed' to do a 12 mile run and that it was the perfect opportunity.  There was a time when I wouldn't have done that though!

• Loving all the target setting (although I do think you're all punching below your weight, or at least being very modest)

So sorry about the hamstring O4S.  For what it's worth, I don't think with your background you need to worry about not getting another 20 in before London. You're the endurance queen! Look after yourself.

Nice 12M done around York Minni! Always nice having a change of scenery (and probably some nice flat terrain!)  You're doing great, all that worry at the start of the year with your hip is behind you.

Any improvement Barry? This really is coming around fast isn't it!

When is Liverpool HM 2old? You'll be aiming for a quick time I'm sure image  Back in shorts? I've not been out of them image

AA that would have been a 5K PB? Get a parkrun done, you'll smash that time easily. 

Great work on the KM reps Ant, where were they done at? Track? Road?

I have to say I really agree with the view that the forum really helps us all to improve - seeing how well the rest of you are doing in all distances makes me push myself harder.  Even things like getting up at 5am to get a 13M in before work - I'd probably not have been inspired to do that if it weren't for the team!

Did a session round the track last night instead of the club handicap - 6 x 800m off 200m recovery.  Took turns pacing with a couple of my lovely friends from the club - nothing like a bit of teamwork image  6M recovery (at 5:20am ;) ) this morning - first creaky mile was probably about 9:30!  No more runs in double figures planned.  Eeek!

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

2Old because of where I live they have asked if I would like to run two legs of the relay. Although they are a month apart. When is your HM?

Minni A run is definitely better than going around the shops! image

Nice track session there Carrot - you have a message.

Looking forward to a lunchtime run today it's nice to get out of the office & into the fresh air.image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Carrot - I was thinking the other day that I haven't had to wear my running tights at all this winter image

Barcelona is coming up quick for you and 2old!
  • Some great target pace setting from everyoneimage. Exciting times!

Just a quick check in from me. I'm off to Thailand later today to sit on the beach, drink cocktails and get fat for the next two weeks.imageimageNot sure about the internet access so just in case I don't get to tune in next week all the best of luck to Carrot and Barry in Barcelona.

Barry- I really hope the calf gets better and you get to have the marathon you deserve. I have everything crossed for you.

Carrot- you are flying at the moment and I am sure you are going to smash it... the question is by how much! Very excited for you. Go get them girl.image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-no Barcelona for me...thats Barry.Its Boston for me with Chick and DD

Bro-have a great trip to Thailand

Pink-HM is on23rd

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Pink-Ive enjoyed a few good pub crawls around York but never run there...yet!

Carrot-very close now-when are you flying there?

Just over 10 done. Approx 2.5 warm up then 7.5 at  approx 10 secs under MP (7.09). Average overall 7.33mm . Might have to do my LR as weekned plans getting in the way

• Bro -  Enjoy Thailand with some R&R.

2old - Nice 10m mlr.

Carot - Nice track sesh.

9m mlr for me this afternoon. 1m w/u, 7m @MP approx 8.00, then 1m c/d, in 1:13:42 @ 8.07 ave. All injuries ok, so a good run all round.

• Carrot - 1km reps on the pavement - there is a great place near me to do that with no junctions to speak of. I use the Garmin to bleep me at the end of the reps. Haven't been to the track for ages (times just haven't worked for me so far)

Bro - Thailand - it will be excellent! image

Simon - looks like things are back on track.

And target setting all round. Bring it on! Club session for me tonight, will take it slightly easier because I have this 20M race on Sunday - anyone else doing the Finchley 20?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Simon - great mlr from you today.  image  And you too 2old.

Carrot - is the marathon next weekend?  I'm sure you're on for a tasty PB.  Wanna share your thoughts...?

Brolish - enjoy Thailand!  Hope you're going to manage some reps on the beach? image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- yes Carrot has been quiet about her target image

Simon- nice MLR

Ant - I'm in London for the rugby on Sunday and like the sound of that race. What are the details? Where what time can you just turn up? What's your plan for it?

• Brol - Thanks, enjoy your holiday.

Freemers -  I know I'm struggling to be fit but I have n't  resorted to giving my Barcelona place to 2old. wink face.

Simon - Good news on your run.

There have been some very impressive improvements in PB's during the time I have been on the thread which you all should be very proud of and consistency of training is a major factor along with the mental toughness for those last few miles.  Unfortunately for me I have only improved by 6 mins from my first mara(2009) to my PB (2012) which is pretty poor in 10 maras. Maybe I do train too hard for my body but my PB came off 6 runs a week. My last 3 campaigns, including this one,  have been cut short by injury, and the frustration is growing, so I think something has got to give with my training for the next one.

Target for Barcelona, if I make it, has got to be similar to the result in Berlin given the same circumstances so around the 3:20's but no doubt I will set off at a quicker pace.  Can't really hope for much better as only 3 runs of 20 or more and the last one was early Feb.

Calf is better and will attempt a short run at the weekend but very wary of doing too much on it and it going again.

• Liking the talk about deciding a pace for the big day, agree with the 80% mental thing - if you convince yourself you can do it, then it's possible. Take charge of your inner chimp.

Great runs soon after 20s by AA Freemers, 2old and assorted others. Nice 12 Minni instead of shopping?

O4S sorry to hear about the hammy tear, but you can still run. I await the race report of you pacing BA at VLM.image

Ant nice reps. Good luck at Finchley.

Simon good session by you. Sub 3:30 the first target?

Barry, you deserve a great run at Barcelona. Steady pace start though over quick perhaps?

2old, you're running well for Boston, 6:59 pace mlr? Maybe the switch back to shorts image.thought the welsh were tough?

Training, hills once a week, 2 hill sessions soon. I'm not running with our GB athlete coach though, 6-7 min mile is walking pace for him for him image .he's on his bike - but when shouting your splits during 1- 2km efforts, or near the top of a hill, you find another gear. Mr Mellor is in the 3000m tomorrow at World Championships, I think heat is 9:30pm. Same as all of us, he's going for a PB, sub 7:45 for 3000m.

Race report for Malta, much delayed.

Next one wont take as long, Bolton hill trail marathon Saturday. image
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Good report FRC...you look happier in the pictures as the race went on it seems image Will look out for Jonny Mellor tonight. Sub 7.45!!! I remember when I was pleased to do that for a mile the first timeimage

Barry / 2old - sorry for the mix up!

Simon - excellent running, getting some speed back which is great.

Ant - how are you going to pace Finchley?

My calf was really tight on my run yesterday, so kept it to a slow pace. Will do the same again today instead of the planned intervals - no point pushing it. I've booked in for a massage tomorrow morning as well which should sort it out.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Looking good for you Simon

And another brilliant run by 2old.

Hope the massage sorts it, Freemers.

Barry: it's such a shame that injuries seem to pick you all the time image Maybe not x-training and less running could work? Thinking of the dreaded F-plan (the plan that must not be named). Perhaps it's with a try? some people get on well with it.

Ok, shit run alert coming up....Plan said 12 with 7@tempo but it was so not happening today image. When I did my warm up I knew already that today was not going to be my day. Tried the tempo stuff but somehow someone must have swapped my legs for leaden ones that refused to co-operate. I lost the will to live after about 4k and binned it for today. Rubbish image
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Chick - better to bail when you know it's not your day. You have massive mileage in your legs it's no wonder they complain occasionally!

7.5 miles today - kept the pace steady, a little quicker than yesterday and although I could feel my calf it was better than before. So all good I think. I'll probably rest tomorrow after the massage, then I have a 3:15 duration run for Sunday. Probably be somewhere between 22 and 23 miles if I pace it right. The weather is looking good for it image
  • Freemers wrote (see)
    I have a 3:15 duration run for Sunday. Probably be somewhere between 22 and 23 miles if I pace it right. The weather is looking good for it image

I thought you were running at Cranleigh?  Or are you just carrying on through the finish for another lap until you hit 3:15?

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Cranleigh is the Sunday after (but you did just make me go and check my race pack to be sure!) image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Chick - definitely better to bin it.  You're spot on with your training so it won't amke any difference to the bigger picture.

Glad the calf if a bit better Freemers.

Barry - perhaps you should think about getting some coaching for your next marathon?  An outside eye can probably identify what triggers the problems and work around it?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free- it's niggle time so watch the calf

barry- hope the calf holds up ,time to get that albatross off your back

Chick- about time your legs rebelled ..enjoy a rest. One blip won't make any difference. 

FRC - good luck on the hills of Bolton...think we can see them from here on a good day . Your report reminds me however you do it a marathon us tough. good report and we'll run

very tired and didn't want to run today but really had no option f I wanted to get a LR done this week. Anyway it wasn't so bad despite the gale force headwind .Kept it slow and that was 20 done , av 8.09 mm. 87 miles in the last 7 but it will average down to 65 ish by Sunday .