Mizuno Reading Half Marathon

1235»

Comments

• Yesterday was my first ever race and I was over the moon at 1.52.32.

Everyone had told me that I'd run an extra 5% based on adrenaline and the crowd but it was incredible, I can honestly say that it wasn't till the last 2/3 miles that I started to feel tired especially at the 12 mile mark. Really enjoyed it and look forward to next year...
    Can anyone recommend off road races in the Berks area? I really am a novice (even at the age of 50) and have only started running a year ago....Any help/advice gratefully received

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

I finished in 2:11 (an almost 10 minute PB but only my 2nd HM), collected my bag without queuing at all.That does suggest there was a bit of an issue... Mixing the race numbers up sounds like a decent plan...

@whiskybob - MySportingTimes run the Gutbuster 10k/10miler in Mortimer (just south of Reading). It's just after Christmas. I ran it last December - It was difficult underfoot on the few roads it's run on (icy) and was very muddy on the fields you run across. Hard work as its quite hilly too. I really enjoyed it. Probably my favourite race of last year, but it's not until December.

• My gun time AND chip time are incorrect in the provisional results (gun time too fast, chip time too slow) - I am gutted as I was a pacemaker image May mean people following me recorded a time slower than what they actually did too. So... if anyone was aiming for around 1.50 and thinks they ran a better time than that recorded in results PLEASE let someone know!! If you followed me - 1.50 pacer - I finished in 1.50.17..! I don't know who to take this up with, I can't find any contact on website (except 'media centre')

• Hi Andrea - I spent the race running away from you! I was aiming for 1.50 so placed myself about 100m in front and made sure I kept it that way. I came in at 1:51:28 which probably would put you on about 1:50? My garmin had me at 1:51:29 so my official time was spot on. I was just short of 1:50, but it's still a pb so I'm happy!   

• just happy with a great event  i started and i finished thanks to all those who made it possible for us moaning runners to compete

• Enjoyed it this year more than previously. Weather was a vast improvement compared to last year, which probably helped. Oh, and I ran a pb (1:43:11), 11 seconds faster than my Dorney time two weeks ago so proves that Dorney wasn't a fluke image

The Cliveden race just after Christmas is a great off roader. The other two good events are both road races - Easter 10 and Maidenhead half. I've just moved form Berkshire though to Shropshire so don't think I will be coming back for these races anymore. Shame, they are all good fun. No Maidenhead half gold number for me... 

• The 1st time I ran this half marathon on Sunday and was impressed with it.  It was a little crowded at the start, but this just stopped me starting off too fast so not the end of the world.  Not a PB for me, but better than I thought I'd get on the day - 1:34:16.  Fantastic medal and I wasn't expecting to get a t-shirt which came in handy as I forgot to pack a change of top! image

• Well done to all in the race.can anyone tell me what the weather was like? Wet or dry? Just interested as I was in Wales and it poured with rain.
  • RS - overcast and cool (ideal really) - the wind picked up later and the rain held off (apart from the odd spot) until the afternoon.

• @biko Thanks, Mortimer is only a few miles from me (Spencers Wood) so I'll definitely keep a look out for that one. I've seen that there's a Henley half Marathon in October which looks nice, has anyone run that one?

I'm still buzzing from Sunday and just wish I'd not left it till my 50th birthday to run my first race....better late than never!!

• Sorry to go off topic but I've looked through the forum for "running etiquette" but can't find one....

my question is about music and running with an ipod, during the Reading half most including myself used music to drag me along but I've read elsewhere that it's frowned upon. I can appreciate that you need to be far more aware of others and it does slightly keep you in a bubble but are there other reasons apart from that.

One thing I was very aware of very quickly was people cutting others up or suddenly stopping without warning....If there's a thread on this can anyone point me to it or just give me some general do's and dont's, I appreciate that it will probably be more common sense but I like to think that I'll be a responsible runner!!!

• whiskybob - I think there's a sumer gutbuster at Mortimer too that may be worth a look.  I've done Henley too and it's a very nice run.  There is a long hill at about 7 miles, followed by a a sharp downhill but other than that fairly flat as I recall.

ipods etc is a hot topic and there are numerous threads on here relating to their use.  All I will say is that I saw an incident on Sunday that brings this into sharp focus.  On Rose Kiln Lane (about 11 miles) an ambulance was trying to negotiate its way in the left hand lane past the runners, but there was a runner in the way in that lane oblivious to the honking of the horn.  Another runner had to grab her by the arm to move her out of the way......

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Ha Ha whiskybob.  You strayed into a major debate there!

ipods are banned in an increasing number of races... and the story andyp tells is one of the key reasons. I've seen exactly the same situation in my last big race I was in.

Despite the fact that ambulances, trying to reach fellow runners, are held up by headphone-wearers, there are many runners who feel it is their human right to wear them.

• Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭

Well having nearly been taken out from behind by some idiot wearing massive headphones while going through the University I say he should be hung buy the leads.  

He ran straight into the back of me, despite me not changing direction or speed and there being plenty of space to my right, as in a whole lane.  I have bruises on both calves and it is a miracle I stayed on my feet.  

Wish I'd grabbed the headphones off his thick head as I re-passed him at the 10 mile mark.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Haha, sorry to hear that Super Moo but enjoyed the rant! Though if he crashed into you from behind that's arguably because of him being a thick twat, not because of the headphones. Unless he was so zoned out listening to music that he forgot to look where he was going too?

• I too saw the ambulance but where I was everyone was clearing a path, in fairness I nearly got taken out by someone without headphones that literally last second decided that HE did want to have some water and regardless of the fact that I was wearing earplugs he just seemed oblivious to me. I suppose that one of the problems with Reading is just how popular the race is and so there's plenty of scope for tripping and bumping, I was naive enough to think that after a mile or two I'd be running alone with maybe a few others for company!!! Just how wrong can you be. I'm signing up for the Shinfield 10k which bans earphones because the roads are not closed and that's something I completely understand but I'm probably like a lot of others that feel that music gives me that extra bit of motivation when the going gets tough although the crowds from start to finish were enough to inspire anyone.
    Oh well, I might just try to same distance with and without music and see what times I'm pulling in....

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I'd love to see some research to show the effect on performance of removing music from an avid earphone wearer... and perhaps see what happens if you give motivational music someone who never uses it.

I suspect you'd get mixed results.

• Nose Nowt wrote (see)

I'd love to see some research to show the effect on performance of removing music from an avid earphone wearer... and perhaps see what happens if you give motivational music someone who never uses it.

I suspect you'd get mixed results.

Or if you really want to mess people up make them listen to nothing but Justin Bieber and JLS, I suspect I'd grind to a halt

• Compared to the dog walkers I have to navigate when I'm training ipod wearers in races are a breeze.

I used to be a slave to the rhythm but I cured myself. Running without headphones is much much better.

• And what about the charity collectors darting in and out and stopping dead right in front of you to allow spectators to bucket drop their cash? I don't mean to be a Scrooge but it somewhat spoils the goodwill of raising money for charity if you end up taking out and potentially injuring your fellow runners from sheer lack of consideration for others....image.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Headfone wearers, classic debate.

Only about 370 threads on here per year on it.

Was surprised to see a guy wearing them fairly near the front, was determined to beat him, more so for the ludicrous all black jump suit he was wearing too.

He must have still done sub 1hr 20, so unusual headphone wearer....