Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gah, youngsters, they're just cheating by being young. And men, they're cheating too by having bigger lungs, a bigger heart and bigger muscles. Young men quite frankly just take the biscuit :P

• 18 dearie me, that changes all I said! Go for it my boy! Shear enthusiasm will spur you on. 

I say this as my joints creak and moan after my 4 steady! 6 total with a 22 coming up tomorrow. Won't let the jantastic team down. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

18??? EIGHTEEN??? EIGHTEEN?????  What is an 18 year old doing running marathons?  He should be spending his weekends wasted with his mates not running 20 miler.  I don't know, youth of today. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Gul - great news on the job.

Poor show about the shoes Speedy but at least you got a refund.  Hope that wasn't the shoe on the sore foot?

OO/PMJ - my 20 will definitely be slower!  I'm planning on roughly 10 miles easy, 7 @ MP and 3 a bit faster than MP and I work all that out to be 2:25:25.  So there's my Jantastic target.

By the way OO you might well end up in the prize money tomorrow, especially since its the top 25 sorted by WAVA. 

• Minni, it was, but there's no pain now, so maybe, just maybe, it might have fixed it!

At 18 I didn't even run for buses. I might have moved a little more swiftly in the direction of the bar if last orders was called. 

• Wow, thanks for all these responses! First half marathon I'll have actually trained for next weekend, so I'll see how accurate my training runs have been. I don't completely trust the apps on my phone, so whether or not these 1:25s were the full 13.1 miles or not we'll have to wait and see. Maybe I've been secretly running WR pace...image I know for I fact I've done some 36-xx 10ks so it can't be far out

My mates think I'm a bit nuts sacrificing a night out for a bit of fell running first thing in the morning, but what can you do! If I can get a good for age time next month then it'll definitely be worth it, not sure they would understand though image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hey Minni, 2:25- that means I could lap you image . The lady I mentioned has dropped out through injury, but I'm bringing a guy who is 6ft 4, weighs 16 stone and is capable of a 2:55 marathon. You'll not miss him....  

Jag- I'd say you need a mid week long run (10-12 miles) and a couple of 20 milers the next 2 weekends. But really it doesn't matter, this is just experience for you, hust enjoy it. 

• Jeg is going to beat me at Stafford half next weekend off no training. Grrr. *if my smilies worked I'd insert a jealous looking one right here*

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Ignore your mates and stick at it Jegs, you've obviously got lots of potential. With youth, natural speed and a tri base you should aim for the 3:05 with confidence. Your biggest problem will likely be getting carried away with your pacing in the first half of the race. Exuberance and enthusiasm are not your friends. Fix a pacing plan and stick to it with discipline. If you cross the line in 3:04 with loads left in the tank you know what to do next time. Stick around, I'd like to see how you get on.

• Leslie H wrote (see)

Jeg has the advantage of youth though at 18 years old so just needs the beliefe for a 3:05 mara. image

We won't be having beliefe on this thread. This thread is about real people running real miles and getting real results, not delusional teenagers.

• Jeg - welcome on here. 1:25 for a half would suggest that there's a sub 3:05 marathon in you, but I suspect it may come second or third time around, rather than first time. A few more miles during the week and perhaps a more structured (but not over-structured) approach to the training plan will definitely help.

The most important thing is that you enjoy your London experience and want to come back for more - at your age, there'll be plenty of opportunities.

Rest day for me today in preparation for tomorrow - spent most of it worrying about phantom niggles affecting knees and toes (at least my head and shoulders are OK!)

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Lorenzo, hope you have a great race!image

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Help! Im on holidays but have forgotten my Jantastic password so can´t log my runs. I can´t get into hotmail to check as they want to send a text to my phone that doesnt work abroad. Any ideas? I dont want to let the team down! I´m happy to be kicked from the team if that´s possible. Its 1 euro for 10 minutes on the internet here so will check back later. Pool and bar time!image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Oh my goodness, it's almost sunbathing weather here this morning., Hope it's not like this where peeps are racing today. Good luck everyone!
    Badbark - can't they log your runs for you or allow you to nominate someone else to do it on your behalf?

• Badbark - Bite the bullet and email them - it'll be the best 50€ you ever spent! Where are you on holiday? Mind you, at the moment, anywhere "on holiday" with "pool and bar" sounds good!

Mind you, I'm starting to get a bit p*ssed off with this whole Jantastic lark. It sort of pushes you to run when it's not sensible, and now I've had to set my March targets about five times and it won't let me log any runs!

Question - what do I do to stop my typing being in Spanish language default setting? Every time I write words like problema, sesión, maratón, momento, etc. they come out like that...

Still a bit wary of pushing it too much on my comeback legs, so did 10 miles this morning with 5 @ 6:50mm. Felt o.k., although I think I have lost some fitness in this lost week (5 days). Is that possible?

If all goes well I'll go straight back into P&D, but the up to 55 miles plan. I have a 10k next sunday, so I'll do the 17 miler on Friday and generally shuffle things around a bit. Compared to the 55-70mpw plan, this one seems just as intense, but you get an extra day off, which has to be A Good Thing.

Looking forward to those race reports, with or without knickersimage.

• Most pleasant long run this training plan by far (if a bit hot by the end). 22 hilly miles in 2:57.

Now picnic (with jam tarts!) and a beer or two in the park.

Hope the racing went well for you all!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

18M ground out with a bit of a hangover - at least it was sunny to cheer me up!  Still, brought me up to 62M for the week, which is my biggest week since October.  Hopefully 65 next week image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

10k (walled city 10k) raced  this morn , out and back course 1st mile down hill then mostly flat so you get a long climb on the way back in the last mile. No chip timing which was a little disappointing and a bit cold too .

Started of a few rows back from the front and held back a bit the first mile then settled at around 6.25-6.30 /m/miles , Only one person overtook me that I remember and I passed then back later along wit a few others In the last uphill mile then coming into the final straight there were 2 guys in front I was closing in on rapidly but just as I caught them we touched about 5m/mile for the last 0.1m but it just wasn't enough to pass but was fun all the same, they certainly earned their placing  image

10k in 40:06 according to Garmin for a 1 min pb on last years 10k (not the same race ) , pleased with that in a big mileage week .

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just a quick note before I shower and settle down, read back the last couple of pages and then to rugby and beer...BEER! have been deprived of beer for over a week now.

So, first off, Lorenzo some how spotted me TWICE in a field of over 5000 runners at the Surrey Half today, just before the start and at the finish line. What a splendid chap and all round nice geezer he is. Lorenzo, really nice meeting you today and well done with your run (story to come, folks).

My plan A didn't work due to the crowded and slow start, too many hills (especially the last two miles) the heat and headwind! Just a few excuses there. 

So, with conditions not PB favourable early on I knew 1.30 was not on, so I flicked the switch to plan B and tried to get sub 7s. Just about managed it with a score of 1.31 and an average pace of 6.59. Slowest mile was 7.11 and the quickest were two 6.45 efforts.

As I start to reflect on the race, I'm really pleased. Second best time ever in a race that I haven't specifically trained for as Brighton Marathon is the main feature.

The Fetcheveryone stats site I use has my predicted marathon effort of 3.10! With my main goal at sub 3.20, things are looking up. Just need to work up the bottle to go for it.!

Did I mention I'm having a beer?image

SB

• OK, so messed up the 20@MP but not an altogether unhappy outcome.

The splits tell the story:

1    6:05.7    1.00    6:06
    2    6:17.5    1.00    6:18
    3    6:14.4    1.00    6:14
    4    6:19.8    1.00    6:20
    5    6:18.2    1.00    6:18
    6    6:10.9    1.00    6:11
    7    6:08.1    1.00    6:08
    8    6:18.6    1.00    6:19
    9    6:24.8    1.00    6:25
    10    6:20.2    1.00    6:20
    11    6:23.7    1.00    6:24
    12    6:22.4    1.00    6:22
    13    6:27.9    1.00    6:28
    14    6:41.1    1.00    6:41
    15    6:38.9    1.00    6:39
    16    6:32.5    1.00    6:33
    17    6:33.6    1.00    6:34
    18    6:51.6    1.00    6:52
    19    6:48.8    1.00    6:49
    20    6:47.5    1.00    6:48

4 laps of 5 miles each, first lap 6:15, second lap 6:16, third lap 6:30 and the death march lap at 6:42.

10 miles in 62:38, half marathon in 1:22:30, was never going to be pretty. 

On the positive side, with Wokingham Half cancelled and a replacement 1:25 up hills into the wind, I now have a decent half time and 1;22 felt really easy. Also, the result is actually faster than MP so really I did what P&D said which was 18 with 14@MP and ended up with 17@MP and a few miles cool down.

Jantastic is fine as I wasn't too far off my prediction and with it being a long run it is only a few % so 96 or 98% will do me.

• Hot on the heels of SB's post!

Had made a mental note of SB's number but with 5,000 people there I wasn't expecting to see him so sat down on a bank about 45 mins before the start and there he was! Always strange to go up to a complete stranger and as whether they are a Sporty Badger, but fortunately he was and a fine chap to boot - good to chat for a while before getting into warm-up mode.

Wasn't really expecting to get close to my Gosport time but hoping for something between 1:27 and 1:28 with the latter as my Jantastic prediction. Very much ran to feel with just a watch as my Garmin is still being fixed.

As SB said it was a bit congested at the start so I wasn't expecting a quick first mile so was surprised to get the mile marker with 6:20 on the watch - time to ease off a bit! Past elder Lorenzito's brass band at the 5 mile mark and got a cheers from them which felt good, especially as there was a slight incline coming up.

Got to 10K in 40:40 which with hindsight was still a bit too quick but I felt OK so there were a few "what the hell" thoughts going through my head, coupled with a "could I get a PB?" thought.

Hit a tough patch around mile 8 shortly after taking a gel and I suspect I slowed up quite a bit, but fortunately the feeling passed and I tried to push on. I'd mentally divided the race up into 4 3 mile chunks plus a bit of change, so I focused on getting to 12 miles in a decent time and seeing what was left.

Fortunately the last swing into the sports stadium in Guildford was downhill and I hit the track for the last 300m knowing that sub 1:28 was in the bag, then had a great tustle with an American girl (instigated by her I should stress!) which gave me a burst for the last 100m or so.

Anyway, ended up with a gun time of 1:27:26 and a chip time of 1:27:13 which I'm very pleased with. Second fastest half (and a higher WAVA than my PB) and bodes very well for London as Macmillan is predicting a sub 3:05 on that basis.image And my toenail is still attached to the toe!

Had another catch up with SB at the end who was looking very strong when he crossed the line and I'm in no doubt that he'll hit the target down at Brighton in a few weeks time.

Edit: well done to PMJ - sounds like you had to dig deep at the end there.

Now, with the rugby about to start, where's that beer?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice running Lorenzo, and PMJ that looks very impressive to me. At Redcar I set out to run 20m in 7m/miles and averaged 7:03 for a 2:21. I can only claim to have beaten you in the last mile PMJ with strong finish 6:45 last mile image

It was actually great fun running round a park for 20 laps. Good company and great support. Lovely to see Minni though she has a sad tale to tell- image  

And the 16 stone giant beat me by a minute- you have to see him to believe it- so here he is on the right- with a tiny Minni on my other side.

/members/images/297347/Gallery/Locke_Park.jpg

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Pleased you are back running well Ant.  Just keep an eye on the knee (I have a new set of exercises which I'll email you tomorrow).

Ashby 20 for me this morning.  Very warm (which I like) so was feeling good at the start apart from a weird painful lump on the underside of my 2nd toe of my right foot (no idea what it is).

Plan was for 5 x 4m chunks with miles 12-16 at MP and then 17-20 a bit faster. 

The 4m splits were 7.11, 6.57, 6.38, 6.18 (MP), 6.03 (last mile of 5.54). First 10m in 69.22 and back in 63.19.  The last 8 miles were ave of 6.11 for a chip time of 2:12.41.

Very very pleased with that and starts to give me confidence to attempt a PM at London.

Speedy - Shouted "well done" when you crossed the finish line but you just looked at me blankly!!

• No I didn't! Although I was wearing sunnies so you probably couldn't see my acknowledgement!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Latest list?
    Remember the spacing police

Mar 9 - Surrey Half - Lorenzo - 1:25.xx, Sporty Badger sub-1.30 
    Mar 9 - Milton Keynes Half - Abbers sub-1.30 
    Mar 9 - Retford Half - Knight Rider sub 1.25
    Mar 16 - Stafford Half - CC2 sub 1.25
    Mar 16 Barcelona - Barry B sub 3:15
    Mar 29 - Eco Trail de Paris 80Km - SJ - uninjured completion 
    Apr 6 - Lochaber Mara - Rich26 - Sub 3:15
    Apr 6 - Brighton Mara - FINgers  TBC - Sporty Badger sub-3.20 
    Apr 6 - Paris mara - Mennania - Sub 3 
    Apr 6 - Manchester mara - knight rider - Sub 3 
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:14:59, Lorenzo sub 3:10, Minni - 3:12, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles, CC2 2.59.59, - literatin - sub 3:05
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes 
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15 
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher - Bike It sub 8:20 
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H 
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning 
    July - Thunder Run - Minni 
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx 
    October - Yorkshire marathon - Minni TBC
    October 19 - Abingdon Marathon - MsE - to get to the start line injury-free

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Apologies Speedy.