Overdone it?

Comments

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am - if this truly is a common runners injury and I went to a physio (now two physios) you would have thought they would have been able to say something like 'that lump might be the first signs of a stress fracture developing, definitely no running and get yourself for an ultra sound scan.'

That will be your CHIMP chipping away at you.

Tell him to back off, engage the  HUMAN brain and think why they didn't diagnose you. Bad day at the office ? Not as common as you think ? Less experienced physio ? You made a bad choice of physio ?

At the end of the day there's nothing you can do about what's happened and you need to let it go, chill out and concentrate on your recovery.

Of course, if that doesn't help, go back and twat the bastard in the face image

Lou - i'd go along with 88% from what i've read. I hit 175-176-177 last 3 miles (? max 183 ) so my real max i suspect is closer to 190. 83% over 10M is a good indicator i believe if you have the endurance, nice run.

Tommy - McMillan is telling me sub 3 .. just !!! I'm just feking glad i'm going before Lit image

Bob - " the only thing that really matters at our level is that we're doing something that keeps us fit, healthy and stimulated " That's pretty much spot on for me Bobby boy image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny - forgot to say, pleased for you that it's nothing more sinister.

• Mace - okay,okay, I'll buy the bloody book!image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nah, you lot can be fit, healthy and stimulated. I'm gonner break the world record.

5 x 600 today again. Obviously nowhere near 5k pace again, especially due to P&D's astonishingly generous 2 min recoveries this week. I think I felt fresher at the end than the beginning! But probably just as well after a somewhat busy weekend.

• 600 at inside 5k pace - which took longer, the intervals or the recoveries?

• Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
    muddyfunster wrote (see)
    Skinny - That's rough but at least now there some resolution in sight.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am - if this truly is a common runners injury and I went to a physio (now two physios) you would have thought they would have been able to say something like 'that lump might be the first signs of a stress fracture developing, definitely no running and get yourself for an ultra sound scan.'

If it truly would have simply taken 2 to 3 weeks total break from running then I would be recovered now. The consultant yesterday almost diagnosed what was wrong with me before he even felt the lump and definitely before he used the ultra sound scan which just confirmed what he had already told me. 

I suppose like Mace says, they may get it right 60-70% of the time and that promotes the faith in physios that you see espoused on these forums quite frequently. However I'm sceptical after a couple of (private) physio encounters that didn't resolve things when I had knee locking problems. No easy way through it though is there ? NHS care can take time to arrive, and the private physio can be a bit of a lottery. In your case it does seem at least inattentive and at worst negligent that they could have let you run off and build a stress fracture though.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

600 at inside 5k pace - which took longer, the intervals or the recoveries?

The reps did... by about 9 seconds.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Nah, you lot can be fit, healthy and stimulated. I'm gonner break the world record.

5 x 600 today again. Obviously nowhere near 5k pace again, especially due to P&D's astonishingly generous 2 min recoveries this week. I think I felt fresher at the end than the beginning! But probably just as well after a somewhat busy weekend.

Me too, lit.  Decided to take it easy today after racing on Sunday so just 3 x 1k (off 60s) at halfway between my new 5k and 3k paces imageimage

• macemace ✭✭✭

Lit - does the version you have has specific recoveries then ? In my version the suggestion is 50-90% of rep time.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, it tells you how long to take as recoveries. Presumably the 2nd ed. update is to reflect the fact that people will be running the reps at different paces.

• Great pic, Chris...equally great comment, Skinny. Ha...love it! image

Lou - What colour? I'd just describe them as loud! Have you ordered yet? If not, it's always worth a quick Google for discount codes for Sportshoes.com before doing so. Have a try of these which are both reported as being current: -

http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/sportsshoes.com?rc=1786502 - 10%
    http://couponfollow.com/site/sportsshoes.com?ref=1696001 - 15%

Pete - Running style looks ok to me. Perhaps trying to relax and free the arms from the shoulders down if you can? Think I caught sight of RobT whipping through on that vid too. Good little session today for you today.

Skinny - Can see your frustration, but Mace's advice sounds sage - not the bit about twatting the fizz though, natch. image

Impressive 600s, Lit. 5:45 pace I make that I think? Swift - even with the extended recoveries.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I make it more like 5:50. A metre or two may have been lost in the conversion to .37 miles. Anyway, not actually 5k pace, as I don't need to point out. It's hard to hit the right pace on such short reps with long recoveries.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Bob - yes, RobT went through about 2 mins before me and the gap continued to grow! He also features at 4:39 on the video of the finish, just behind Elle Vernon. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq8eBukbC_U

Another famous woman, the triathlete Non Stanford, dropped out before halfway.  I saw her walking back towards the start. Nothing too serious, I hope.

On the first video I posted, one can also see the legendary Ron Hill (Number 1) sensibly running around the inside of the bend at 04:16.  With his wealth of experience, you'd think he would have shed all that warm clothing and then he might have been able to keep up with me image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

True fact (allegedly): my friend used to live next door to Ron Hill.

• Wait until you try 400s. Nigh on impossible not to overcook from my experience last year.

Nevertheless, as long as you didn't smash yourself to bits in the process, and it sounds like you didn't, then it's still a good session.

• PeteHew wrote (see)

Bob - yes, RobT went through about 2 mins before me and the gap continued to grow! He also features at 4:39 on the video of the finish, just behind Elle Vernon. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq8eBukbC_U

The true motivation behind his fabulous time all of a sudden becomes clear. image

• macemace ✭✭✭

If Ron Hill was in a race i was entered in i'd wear all my Ron hill clobber and run with him. I wouldn't be able to resist and would bore the tits off him all race.

Pete - your action looks pretty damn cool and efficient to me.

• imagePost 5000

EDIT: Oh shit someone got there first!image

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

imageimage.

Hmmm reps. I have a complicated run including reps and tempo work to do later. think I'm going to have to write it down so I don't forget what I'm meant to be doing image.

• Inverted pyramid session with the club at the track tonight apparently. Will be a new

one for me. Ready for it, feeling sluggish. Rest days don't agree with me nowadays, and I've not run now since Sunday AM.

What's your session, Tommy? Can you not pre program into your watch?
  • macemace ✭✭✭

imagePost 5000

EDIT: Oh shit someone got there first!image

ME ???

Medal ? image

• image - no chance!

Particularly now you have possession of my favourite gold cell.

Wonder if Muddy will be the next one to join the stampede over my HM time?

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Bob - Can't remember exactly - my book is at home, it involves a couple of sets of 2 miles at threshold followed by a combination of 200m and 400 reps with similar jog recoveries I think. Don't think my watch can program differing length reps and/or recoveries, not 100% sure though image.

Inverted pyramids sound interesting, enjoy!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Spoil sport image

What watch have you got, Tommy ?

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

It's a Garmin forerunner 210.

• macemace ✭✭✭

hmm, i have the 305 which can take intervals and recoveries of varying times/distances. And i thought the only difference to the 210 was that it comes with an HR monitor but i may have that wrong ?

• Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Wonder if Muddy will be the next one to join the stampede over my HM time?

I am shooting for 1:27:00 Skinny -  6:38 min/mile pace, which at the moment feels  on the ambitious side. However that is what McMillan predicts from my 5k time of a couple of weeks ago. I suppose there is a some possibility of overshoot on that pace but equally could swing the other way a bit depending on the conditions. 

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

True fact (allegedly): my friend used to live next door to Ron Hill.

mace wrote (see)

If Ron Hill was in a race i was entered in i'd wear all my Ron hill clobber and run with him. I wouldn't be able to resist and would bore the tits off him all race.

Pete - your action looks pretty damn cool and efficient to me.

Dr Ron used to represent Bolton United Harriers so was a big boyhood hero of mine.  I have a lot of his running gear and was wearing RONHILLTM* shorts for the race. Sadly, it was too warm for my RONHILLTM* bbh and my yellow and lime green shirts just aren't as fast as my non-RONHILLTM* orange one.  Thanks, mace.  I just need to become cool, efficient and fast!

* Other brands of running equipment are available.

Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

The true motivation behind his fabulous time all of a sudden becomes clear. image

Yes indeed image

• Yowser, Tommy. Tough sounding session. Are the 200s and 400s at recovery pace?! They would be for me! Perhaps I'm getting soft as I get a bit more running under my belt, and off the back of my comparatively low intensity winter, but I don't think I'd even attempt that.

Is it a Daniels session? Interested to hear the thinking behind it too if it's explained.

I guess you've got a more extensive endurance base than me, but I was good for nothing more than the jog home after my 2x2 miles at threshold on Saturday.