RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Back from Twickenham, and that us all I have to say about that !

Ant- it was hot in London so glad I did my LR on Friday and I know that 20 race of yours today was very impressive. Hope VLM won't be that hot for the gang here running it

FRC- pretty amazing racing on the hills. Two excellent marathons ....hope you made enough cake...you earnt it

Simon/ Barry- good cycling today...not affected by niggles ,I hope 

Kiwi- as I said ..nothing more to say on the subject!

Carrot- that's it then- 8 done and next step Barcelona for you 

Chick- fine 22 after everything else you've gone this weekend. Don't suppose you will rest tomorrow?

pink- hope the 13 went well today

AA- fast intervals and good mileage. Who needs another mile anyway

Minni- are you dizzy?

two days off and Im still tired. Back to it tomorrow 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    2old - I take it Twickenham wasn't to your liking?image

FRC - great effort for those 2 marathons - perfect prep for Comrades!

Chick - great 22 image

Ant - that's a very good result from Finchley image

22.5 miles yesterday in 3:10. Was meant to be 3:15 but I overcooked the pace a bit and when I reached home I just couldn't bring myself to run for another 5 minutes. Legs felt a bit mashed but overall it was a great run. It was glorious weather, sunshine but a nice breeze so I never felt hot at all. At one point an owl was circling the fields next to the road, must have kept with me for a good half mile or so - beautiful image.

On Saturday I had my calf worked on for 30 minutes - my soleus muscle was rock hard so hopefully she has eased it off - I didn't feel it on the run yesterday so that's good.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Quick report on yesterday and I'll read back later - I need to work!

So my 20 lap adventure yesterday.  The course was quite good but I thought it felt like a long mile with all the twists and turns.  There were 3 or 4 little bridges to cross with sharp bends after.  It was very pretty and the marshalls and support was really good with lots of encouragement and cheers.  The laps passed very quickly and the race seemed over too quick.....

My plan was 8m @ 8:20, 2m @ 7:50, 7m @ 7:20 and 3m, a bit quicker.  I ran the first 5 with someone else and it was very relaxed and chatty but a bit quicker than plan at 8:10.  When she started her MP miles then I pulled back a bit.  Miles 9 & 10 passed at 7:46 then I moved onto marathon pace.  This just felt too much of an effort and I found I was hovering around 7:30 - 7:40 pace and couldn't really pick it up.   I decided to have a loo break just before 15 miles and lost signal on my garmin and just after this it turned off - I mustn't have had it on charge.  It didn't matter really. 

I came though the finish area with 3 laps to go and I heard an official shout out, 'No71, 2 laps to go'.   I was sure I had 3 but thought they would rectify it next time round.  However, he then shouted 'last lap'.  I then couldn't think how many I'd done but I did think they were wrong.  Around for a last time and into the finish area where I was directed into the finish funnel.  Before I crossed the line I asked if they were sure I was finished and they said, yes definitely.  

Because of the laps and the way the laps snaked around it was very difficult to know where other runners were.  I looked for a couple who were infront of me and couldn't see they were finished.  Again, I went back to the finish officials and said that I thought I'd only done 19 laps but they showed the record of me coming through the finish 20 times.   Then the lady who I'd run the first 5 with, and who I knew was ahead, finished. 

Still awaiting results but I'm expecting a DNF.  So, bit of a shit run and a shit outcome but other than that it was a great day out!  The sunshine was lovely - in fact it was too hot at times. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-sounds like a fab way to do a LR, lots of company ,great weather and course. The outcome doesnt matter and you had the added benefit of heat,a toilet stop , stopped watch,confusion over laps to toughen you up mentally for VLM.

Free-cant get a better way or day to d a 22.5m run. Hope the soleus is ok

• Minni - Blame it on incompetent officials if you end up with a DNF, oh and a refund lol.

Free - Remind me what your Mara Pb is ? The reason I ask, if it's about 3:30, aren't you running nearly 90% of a Mara in training with that run?
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon-Im not sure Minni is too bothered really but we would get some mileage here if she was disqualifiedimage

Kicked the week off with 10 miles-3 mile warm up and just under 7 av 6.51 mm .

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Crikey, that's damn quick, 2old.

Simon: I think Freemers is a fair bit quicker than 3:30image pretty sure her PB is close to 3:15.

Freemers: excellent 22.5 and great 20s Minni and Ant. Shame about the lap cock-up, Minni but nothing you can do about. Luckily it wasn't an important race.

FRC: Wow, 2 back to back marathons and tough ones at that. Hope you ate loads
    ;-)

Well, I didn't run this morning. Brought my gear into work but I'm busy. Maybe I will do a very gentle 3 miler but maybe I'll just soak up the final rays of the day with a glass of vino image

Deffo back to running tomorrow with 600m reps. Won't be doing them at 5k pace but instead I'll do hill reps. Needs must :-/

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-what this...no run today and vino...you are human after all...will you run home maybeimage Ah yes those hill reps I keep forgetting to doimage

• 2old - Showing some very good pace on the run.  Funnily enough I enjoyed the rugby, at least Leigh Halfpenny showed up.image

Freemers - Very good long run, good news on your calf.

Minni -  Shame  the officials cocked up, but some good warm weather training miles.

Ant - Well run in the heat.

FRC - Well done on the double over the weekend, great achievement.

Carrot - You've done all the hard work, hopefully we'll both be in good spirits next sunday afternoon, Pink has threatened to put me on the first plane back home if I'm grumpy.

5 miles slow for me this afternoon , calf OK.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Simon - PB is 3.16, aiming for sub 3.15 this time around. I wanted to do an equivalent time on feet run, hence the quest for 3.15 yesterday. As I only did 3.10 maybe that should be my targetimage

Minni - I would be annoyed if they mis-counted...and just your luck the Garmin packed up so you couldn't check it. Still, it was a good run anyway.

Nice gentle 7 miles earlier. I'm now travelling to Manchester so it'll be another hotel TM tomorrow morning.
  • 2old - that's a bloody tasty 10 miler. 

Chick - I'm on white tonight! sod itimage

freemers - all looking good. Well done on 22.5 miles. Amazing!

minni - still a great run whether it be 19 or 20. 

Trendy 5 for me this morning image

• Bit of a balls up by the sounds of it Minni!  It's a decent progressive run banked though, even if you were a bit disappointed with the end result.  Sounds like it's still a decent event, I'll most likely do it next year if they run it again. 

Massage must have worked wonders Free.  I've had a solid calf a couple of times, feels so good to get it loosened off! Good work on the 22.5 yesterday, things are really coming together for you. 

Wow well done on the double FRC, no wonder you were hungry last night.

Yes Barry let's hope we are in good spirits! It's exciting!

Nice way of kicking off the week 2old! That's some strong tempo running.

Enjoy the rest day Chick image

Easy 6M done tonight.  Tapering is tedious!

• Free - So with a 3:16 Pb, you were planning to run virtually 100% of you mara time In your lsr training run, hard core image!

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

2old Hope you enjoyed your trip to the rugby even if the score was not what you wanted. I missed Ireland's winning game altogether as I was out all afternoon. Last one for Brian O as well.

Well done FRC

AA 49 miles is great & nice repeats there

wow Chick nice long run

Nice one Freemers

Great run there Minni but not so great about the officials

Well my 13 miles on Sunday didn't go to plan. Started off well but struggled from 6 miles & carried on for another 2 before writing it off as a bad job & went home. Have been feeling rough for the past couple of days.

However, should be ok for Barcelona - getting excited even though i'm not running. Looking forward to meeting Carrot &  Parnsip. Hopefully things will turn out well for Barry.

Going to try a run at lunchtime today & see how I go image

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Carrot - good running over the weekend. Looking good for Barcelona.

Barry - it's great to hear that your calf is ok. Hopefully you and Carrot will be in good spirits come Sunday afternoon.

Pinklady - sorry to hear that the 13m run didnt go according to plan. We all have runs like that.  

FRC - good work on the back to back marathons.

AA - a good set of 1200m reps.

Ant - good pace on the 20m race

Chickadee - that is a fast 22m run. Well done.

Freemers - excellent time on feet run.

Minni - great 20m run there. Good mental strength doing so many laps.

2old - very fast 10m run. Is that MP or HMP?

On Saturday I did 20m with 12m at MP. That was my 3rd 20m run, and I think one more this coming weekend will be my last. Normally I do my last 20m run 3 weeks out from a marathon but this year i will doing it 4 weeks before. There's a half marathon I want to do 3 weeks out. Last night was a 10m run with 8 at MP effort. Tonight is a track session of 1k reps.  

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-Im off to Manchester today and Thursday fwiw.Hope the treddi was a good one.Think Simon has spotted your plan-a 3.10marathon

Col-nearer HM pace than MP.Youve got through your marathon schedule without fuss. Are you tagging a few miles onto your HM to make it a LR?

Pink-dont worry about cutting the run short you still banked some good miles.Not talking about the gameimage

Carrot-dont moan about the taper -I cant wait for the tediumimage

Barry-positive signs for your calf......now stop thinking about itimage

AA-is the 5 a recovery' from the white' run?

Weird-did a RR last night and the gritters were out.Thought Spring had arrived.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Gritters?? Whatever next. A blizzard?

Good running, col. 20 with @ MP is excellent.

Pink: sorry to hear your run didn't go as planned. Just as well you wrote it off as a bad day in the office. Hope today goes better image

AA: how was the whiteimage ?

Some more work landed on my desk just as I was about to leave so I ditched the idea of running. Did a painful sesh on the foam roller instead and had a few beers as my reward image

10 miles today with the dreaded hill reps. I managed 7 x 90 sec reps, then lost the will to live. My legs wouldn't work anymore. HR-wise I was fine - max I saw was 85% (it should have been over 90) - pace was around 7mm. I take that on a steep hill. I did a workout there in the summer and only managed 8mm back then.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Chick- 7 hill reps at that pace takes some doing - did you run jog or walk down the hill between reps?
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

I crawled back down, 2oldimage

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

I left that option off the list on purpose image

• Chick - funny! You're gonna fly up that hill in Boston! And the white was so nice I'm back on it again tonightimage

pink - we have all had those runs. Part of the training!

2old - I'm with you - can't wait for the taper..!

I managged 12 miles @7:41 pace today and 26 seconds faster than last week. But it still hurts image 

• Powering up that hill Chick!

Hope you feel better soon Pink, a long run in Barcelona this weekend should be much nicer image

How's the calf today Barry?

That's some decent running AA, hurts as in painful or just tough going?

5M tonight with 2M at marathon pace.  One more run before Sunday!  Must not go mad. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- nice MLR and good pace ...one second faster mm than I did my 13 and abit tonight. very cold out there when the sun  went down.  

Carrot- you really are suffering taper madness.....we needs a Mr Z picture. 

• Chick - That's a quick pace going up hill.

AA/2old - Very decent pace MRL's.

Col - 12 at MP is a solid run, which HM are you doing?

Carrot - Calf is OK, I am going to try 8 miles this afternoon, and that will be me done until Sunday, apart from a short/slow run Saturday morning. Do you know if the expo is the same location as the start/finish?

• Carrot - hurts as in that's what I was hoping for for mp but it feels hard! Hope the taper madness is going ok. 

Barry - good luck with your 8 this afternoon. Keeping everything crossed!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry/AA- don't you sleep?

Barry- hope the 8 goes well. 

AA - I tried to get to MP but really struggled,probably feeling the tempo from the day before. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

That's great Chick

AA Good pace & nice MLR

Carrot - not long now

2old I can vouch that Barry definitely sleeps - even in the dentist! image

Lunchtime run abandoned yesterday as came home from work before lunch due to feeling very rough & nauseous! Spent most of the afternoon trying to rest & shifting a terrible headache.

Woke up this morning feeling much better so out of the door by 6.15 for an early morning 4 mile run. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Ouch, pink - sounds awful. Glad you felt better today image

AA: 12 miles at MP on your own is always going to hurt so well done for seeing it through. Will do mine on Sunday in a 20k race plus some extra laps - there's no way I could do it otherwise. Weather is supposed to deteriorate as of Sunday - wind & rain forecast for most of the weekend image

Hope the calf holds up, Barry

15 miler done this morning. Just beautiful. There was a slight frost, no wind and then the sun rose just as I approached the lake - wish I'd taken my phone or a camera! Surprised to see 8:05 mm as my average pace - it sure felt easy.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Pink-well done for getting back out there

Chick- sounds like a perfect MLR and Im with you on struggling to reach MP in a training run unless Im on a TM. Will you take your camera to take a few snaps along the way at Boston?image

Guess Im due a RR today