groin / upper thigh pain

After dragging myself back to some form of fitness over the past 10 weeks with the objective of doing the Liverpool Half within 2 hrs on 23rd March I have injured myself.

On my long sunday run a week ago, I pushed reasonably hard to do 11 miles at my target race pace of 9min/mile.  I had a slight tightening at the very top of my right thigh /groin at the front, in line with my leg.  

I stretched well and recovered ok.  Another 4 miles went by uneventfully on the following tuesday.  

Then on thursday I did 10 miles with a friend at a slower pace (10 mm) which was going fine until mile 8 when I had definite tightness and pain in the same spot - not terrible or enough to make me stop, but annoying.

The next day I struggled to walk properly, and am still in pain today (nowhere near as bad, but still there, really worried I wont make the start line on the 23rd.  

Any advice out there from physios about how to minimise time out?  I'm taking anti inflammatory, using ice packs and stretching.

Thanks, Pete

Comments

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I dont have an answer but Im having a similar niggle with one hip. Seems like a small pain just at the top of the tendon above the front of the thigh where it goes into the hip. I feel it in the morning when walking to the gym and its ther at the start of a run. As I settle into my rhythm it fades somewhat.

Im a week or so from the peak of my marathon prep before I start tapering. Im giving serious thought to cutting back early though. 

Stretching helps but Im wary of trying to stretch your way out of an injury. As Ive aged I find that theres no substitute for rest. And maybe chowing down extra protein for a bit

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it could be your hip flexor Pete. As above there is no substitute for rest but a proper diagnosis would be advisable for best rehab.
  • Thanks for the wisdom all.

Its a week after it happened and I'm still sore every morning, with it getting better throughout the day, it is largely pain free by lunch. I'm going to try a gentle couple of miles this evening to see how it holds up and if I can make it to the start line next sunday. Realistically, I dont think Ill be there though. 

I too have some knee pain, which Im told (by my doctor wife) is normal if you spend your day limping!

Will be very disappointed to DNS, especially as I bullied my friend into doing the run when he didn't feel confident about making the distance. 

Pete

• Hi Peter,

I have had exactly the same trouble as you.  Had to stop a run a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to walk properly since.  I've been told it's all related to glute muscles - my left one being so tight it's effecting everything else (knee, back, hip).

I've been doing lots of foam rolling and stretching but haven't been able to run for almost 2 weeks.  Hoping to get back out this weekend, but all the advice I've had is stretch / foam roll and repeat.  The pain (even when walking) is starting to ease off but it's rather annoying as I'm at the point in my training when I should be running the most before I taper off for the marathon in April.

I think resting for a couple of weeks while not ideal has probably helped.  That's what I'm hoping anyway!

Good luck.

• Well I gave it a go last night with a gentle jog.  Stopped after just 200 metres as the level of discomfort was steadily getting worse, was already settling into a limp.

Ah well. I guess its an extended rest for me.  Will have to pick a nice 1/2 marathon later in the summer.

• Peter,

A bit of an update.  I had been seeing a physio about the pain I was experiencing running who ensured me it was muscle tightness.  However on Saturday an osteopath friend was visiting and took a look at problem so to speak.  Turns out my left pelvis had locked which was why I was experiencing so much pain.  He loosened it off and explained that the muscles had been working overtime because of this problem.

It may not be the same for you but my big lesson was that it's important to diagnosis the problem rather than just treat the sympton, which is what the physio had been doing.

Hope your injury improves soon.