RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- fast reps...did you ever hear about your 20 mile race result ?

Simon- only????36of some very tough hill work there but worth it for the views. 

Free-it's nice when you feel you can make up the session to suit yourself even if you end up deciding on a hard tempo 

FRC- I'm looking forward to my taper too

pink- Guinness and rugby in Barcelona followed by a marathon to watch. A perfect weekend. 

Carrot - stay off your feet  now ,don't be tempted to go sight seeing ( unless you are on a bus) 

foggy here 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

random double-post 2oldimage

Very excited for carrot & Barry image I shall be thinking of you when I do my MP sesh on Sunday. Will go to the same race venue again where I did it last time. It's a series and you can always sign up on the day. Handy. Supposed to be wet & windy but there will be trees and houses and hopefully some shelter.

Excellent reps, Minni. 1.5 mile reps sound vile!

Fab Tapir, FRC image

My lower back has started to niggle again and the calf too - this time it's the right hand side. Yawn. I'm bored with my body's antics. I felt fine running today (did 12 with 5@ 7mm) but it hurt yesterday, then I stretched and worked it with the spiky ball, and now sat at my desk it's stiffening up again. Bah. May throw in another rest day tomorrow and see how I feel on Sunday. If all else fails I'll ditch the MP run. I'm still a week ahead of schedule. So I could rest for a few days and resume next week and simply ditch the half that I had planned for March 23 and for which I wanted a mini taper. Decisions, decisions... Physio sesh booked for Wednesday.

DD: can't quite begin to imagine the boredom of running on a heli deck!!

Gorgeous pic, Simon!

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Best of luck to Carrot and Barry in Barcelona. Hope you both have a great race.

Pinklady - Enjoy St. Patricks Day in Barcelona.  

• DD - Yes looks gorgeous, but when you see this sign at the bottom of virtually every climb, you know there's going to be plenty of painimage

/members/images/479221/Gallery/Approach_to_Wrynose_0.jpg

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Blimey, si, scary stuff. My steepest hill is 20% and that HURTS. Can't quite imagine 30.....

I think I've just drunk a bottle of red with me dinner. Whoops..... but I can't feel any back pain.now so all good image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- I'd rather ski down that hill than ride a bike- terrifying. My brakes would have been worn out . Oh you were talking about the climb....easy image

Chick- no idea how that double post happened. Looks like your body is screaming for a rest...a day off will probably do it as long as the run after is a gentle return to action . 

got my LR done today .really didn't want to do it and was thinking of watching the races at Cheltenham instead.But self discipline kicked in and so 20 was done. Held back to around 8.15 ish for most miles but a few faster ones resulted in a final average of 8.06 mm . Surprisingly cold and windy too . Now I can enjoy my weekend

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- that's a great tip for a painkiller...think I will try it for my niggles tonight .....looks like your HM is on again. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

had a bit of a fright....just browsed the 3.15 thread and they are all going down with nasty injuries....hope they recover  and a bit of a warning to all of us with what we dismiss as 'niggles' 

• quick hello, to say good luck Carrot + Barry, soo excited for both of you, go do it guys!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've had a hellish week of finance and budget meetings but drunk it all away with a bottle of white tonight!

2old - they say that half the battle is getting to the start line and I tend to agree. It's a fine balance.

Things at home are tense. It appears that miss Minni has well and truly chosen one of the most competitive Uni courses. She's coping better than me - I'm banking on her being away in Sept!
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- miss M will nail it. I've stressed over 3 and wonder now why! Trouble is they go to Uni in Sept and that inevitably clashes with a race you have in your diary....then they come home and dont expect you to disappear off on a Sunday morning. Re injury- it is indeed a very fine balance and at times , for me anyway,seems to lean permanently on the injury side  . Anyway my niggles are largely the same ones I started this campaign with ..probably the same  as you 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Mmmm I'm not totally happy with my hip. Although loads better I'm worried that the marathon might finish it off. I'll see how it is on a hilly HM in Sunday.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni - I'm having doubts about my Achilles ( both )!but hey hoh as they say, I've started ,so I 'll finish ...I hope . What does the physio say about your hip? 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick/DD- the wave and corral lists have been published . I'm in wave 1 corral 8 start 10am. this is really going to happen. Excited now. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    He doesn't think it's much to worry about! I'm going with it but deep down I'm not convinced.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- you have to believe he's right. 

• 2old - Talking of iffy achilles, mine was playing up on my lsr today. Planned 18m, but bailed out at 15m, as didn't want to make it any worse as it was tightening. Will try another lsr next w/end, but that will give me just a 2wk taper, and times running out, so not to good.

Minni - So what course has she chosen....Media studies.....image. Hope your hips ok.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- that's crap news . I'm wondering if that hilly cycle tightened your calf putting extra tension on the weak spot in the Achilles . When recovering from mine I was told to limit cycling to fast spinning without driving through the heels . Hill climbs are the opposite. maybe you should stick  to fast cycling in easy gears. Stretch the calf to take the pressure off the Achilles but don't stretch the Achilles as you might tear it as it is so tender . You'll get there. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick/DD - apparently this is  how the Boston waves are broken down-

The break between Wave 1 (10:00 a.m.) and Wave 2 (10:25 a.m.) is 3:12:52.

The break between Wave 2 and Wave 3 (11:00 a.m.) is 3:33:34.

All remaining qualifiers are in Wave 3.

Wave 4 will start at (11:25 a.m.)

looks like I'm going to be trotting up behind everyone else in wave 1 and looking over my shoulder as the next wave surges after us image

• 2old - You could be right, as normally cycling helps it. But after the ride the achilles felt tight then.So I've screwed up my achilles 3wks before my mara, playing around on the hills in The Lakesimage.

• Wave 2 for me. No running today I fear, this old barge is bouncing all over the place, so much so that we snapped two out of the eight anchor wires during the night.

Hope all of those with niggles (and that includes me) make it to the start line. 

Simon: I somehow doubt that I will get anything more than 1 x 15 miler in for my Boston prep. 

I can't actually decide if Im injured or niggled! But given that I can run 9 miles which whilst not completely pain free is OK and can then walk fine, I define it as a niggle! Like everyone else here I've had this one before and have run with it for months before now, unfortunately I have no access to everyone elses solution of alcohol, haven't had a drop in over three weeks, not allowed out here.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    wave 2 for me. race no. 13636. Whoa. Excitement is building!!

Gosh, we are a sorry bunch on here, aren't we? Getting old sucks. Somehow I wish I'd taken up running earlier in my life ...

I deffo have niggles. Pain free today image . I jogged a slow 3 miler off-road without problems. Wind has picked up again image 50mph gusts and I came to a standstill more than once :-/
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-that wine really did the trick for you. The wind has arrived here too thou fit was strong yesterday too. Not sure if I'd be niggle free even if I was younger. 

DD- think you need a job on dry land at your age image  . All those IMs will get you through Boston 

simon- high cadence spinning and squats should be ok after a bit of rest and icing 

rest day again today 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

My VLM entrants mag arrived this am. If only I had the bottle ( and body ) to do both. Have all you VLMers got yours too?

• Quick check in from barca currently chilling by the pool, me and pink did the breakfast run this morning, lovely conditions for a short run but getting warm for anything longer, calf OK and getting excited for tomorrow.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Barry- enjoy the chilling.. Don't overdo the tapas and sangria
  • My magazine arrived today. Scary and exciting!!

pink - hope you enjoyed the run.

Barry/carrot - keeping everything crossed. All the very best of luck to you both. image have a great run. 

6.6 miles @7:10 pace today. Managed a few miles @7 and the hills kept the average down. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast run & yes there were hills with the last one bringing you into the Olympic Stadium. Lovely breakfast put on after in front of the national palace. Great atmosphere. Nearly missed it due to becoming friends with the toilet bowl - not sure if it was last nights mojito that did it.

Feel much better & nice to be chilling by the pool which I can't swim in as its more of a paddling pool.  Diving in may get me a visit to A&E image

Exciting that some of you have received your magazines. Happy reading image

• 2Old: Unfortunately as a Master Mariner my work tends not to be on dry land, the plus side of 30 days offshore is that I don't need to work for the next 4 months so will only take any jobs which I want to do. Fortunately for Boston I can call on a lot of experience of very tough marathons which can only be a bonus

Barry / Carrot: have a ball tomorrow

Did manage 10K around the Heli deck it was a tad warm at 34C but that was the one chance for the day so I took it. Looking at the weather forecast tomorrow is going to be a wash out.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes, my mag arrived today too.  I don't feel like I have a marathon just around the corner.  Don't know if that's good or bad but I suspect bad!

Hope Barry and Carrot have a great day tomorrow.

Finally the results of the 20 last weekend are out.  I have been given a 20m time with splits but I still don't think it did the full 20.  I went and looked at the finish clock a few minutes after finishing and it said 2:32 but my official finish time (and confirmed on video???) is 2:37 or something!  I did manage to sneak into the age graded prize list and I normally wouldn't have accepted this under the circumstance but they used the 30k split to calculated the WAVA and I definitely did that.

I have a hilly HM tomorrow in gale force wind. * insert exasperated face *