RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- a HM tomorrow... Looking for a pb?image So not disqualified and a prize instead ...so modest image It is hard to believe your taper starts in a week .

pink- must have been something you ate. Hope you didn't disturb Barry He needs his rest for tomorrow image Enjoy the marathon

DD- as an old sea dog Boston wont trouble you. Nice 10k. 

Worn out watching rugby all day...and rubbing my aching joints. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Gale force winds here too. Great for a 20 with 14@MP :-/
  • Good luck for the Barca racers in the morningimage.

2old - Yes back on the squats, and more rest.

Chick - Enjoy another 20 tomorrow.

Got my Manchester nbr the other day....10022 and start area B. I don't know if that means the second from the front, or the second from the backimage. I probably put sub3:15 on the form back in 2012 when I entered Lol.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- that was a magic bottle of wine...what was it..great LR ..you should feel very confident 

simon- area B is just behind the elites...image.manchester is flat flat flat so your niggles will be ok. Don't forget ice that sore bit. 

Well done Ireland. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Good luck Barry and Carrot and all other racers today 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

2old managed to watch the Ireland game as found it on a French TV channel.

Saw Barry & Carrot head off - smiling which is a good sign for Barry . 

Good luck today as well Minni & everyone else running

• Exciting, good Carrot + Barry have headed off with smiles, Minni + anyone else running here hope the ind isn't too bad. looking forward to all the race reports image

• Go Carrot & Barry! 18 miles for me later in the glorious sunshine. YKW in 20.58 yesterday in the middle of a heavy week.

• Just checked in. Barrys through half way image Don't know Carrots number so cant see her. Fingers crossed.

Ant - nice YKW time. Enjoy your 18.

Good luck Minni.

Its a lovely day out there. 4.5 miles easy. Topped 50 for the week image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hope our Barca lot had a great race image

2old: my 20 was today. Miserable, wet, windy, slow and shit sums it up. Ouch. Wind was so bad it blew us backwards at times. I'd chosen the race again that I'd used before because out where I live the winds are unbearable. Well, it wasn't much better at the race venue. No markers.... they had all been blown away. As it had been raining heavily all night and most of the morning, the off-roady bits were very muddy and I ended up looking like a swamp thingimage Anyway, enough whingeing. 20 miles banked with 14@ something resembling MP. On a positive: I was first lady. Sadly no bling. Bling is reserved for those that did all five races of the series.

Minni: hope you had a good one today image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- well done

chick- oops wrong day. Still good going touching out that LR today which I expect topped off another big week for you. Congrats coming first too. You deserve some bling too

ant- fast yknw

just under 9.5 miles Av 7.10mm bringing my week nicely to a close with 67 miles 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    missed your ykw, ant. Great time image

Another 70 mile week and I'm knackered. This week will be about recovery hoping for a decent half next Sunday. If this area of low pressure sticks around, which looks likely, I may bail and do another long run instead.

Another positive today: no pain image. Whatever it was, I drank it into submission.
  • Glorious day in Barcelona but a tad warm for marathon running. Met up with carrot and parsnip before the start. Anyway went for it 1.35 at halfway image, but paid for it and miles 21 onwards got a bit grim sad face, finished in 3.21.49. Given my build up and conditions I'm very happy with. When you see my splits I'm sure I'll get a bollocking.wink face. Pink did well she managed to see me once and found me at the end. Great race and lovely finishing area. image

• Barry - Well done considering your niggle, and the chance to top up your tanimage.

Chick - Well done on toughing the 20 out, you should be used to crap weather by nowimage.

2old - Nice run, only 67m week, come on, Chick's done 70image.

• Barry , congrats, you've got to be happy with that, warm day and niggles.

Any news on the vegetable pair?
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Barry-excellent result allowing for that calf and good on you going for it. Have a holiday now .. Enjoy our ongoing suffering too

Simon- I have decided to cut back and watch Chick disappear into the distance . Your marathons next ?

Wayhay Liverpool !
  • col.col. ✭✭✭
    Barry, that is an excellent time. Very well done. Enjoy the rest of your time in Barcelona.
  • Barry, well done an awesome time considering your recent injury woes! Enjoy your time in Barcelona image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Barry - that is a fantastic result given your injury and curtailed build-up. You have bags of speed, so if you can just get an injury-free build up next time you will nail it. Hope you and pink enjoy your time in Barcelona image

Race report - Cranleigh 21

This is probably my favourite race of the year (except VLM). A great course with just enough undulations to make it "interesting" and a 3 lap structure meaning you can work through a good pacing strategy. My only issue with it is the start - they have close on 1,000 runners and it is very crowded, so unless you get to the front it will take a minute or so to cross the line and you end up dodging people early on.

My plan was the first lap (9 miles) in 8.20s, the second (6 miles) in 7.50s and the third (6 miles) at MP. Well I managed to get close to the front for once, but this then meant I was pushed to a quick opening mile (7.46), so then had to rein it back. Unfortunately I didn't slow down enough and clocked between 8.05 and 8.15 for the rest of that lap. So quicker than planned but feeling good. The first laps is also the most undulating, so I was easing back on the ups and stretching my legs on the downs so the effort was even.

At the end of the first lap the route takes you through Cranleigh town centre and the screaming hoards of running fans (well, about 10 peopleimage ). Then it is out onto lap 2. This lap is flat apart from a steep hill in the last mile. I picked up the pace - too much again as mile 10 was 7.38. So eased back and managed to maintain it between 7.45 and 7.55 for the next 5 miles, which was bang on the plan. It was feeling a bit of an effort though so I was worried about whether I could pick up the pace further. Up the killer hill, and then onto lap 3.

So, did I have anything left? Well, sort of....I did average 7.26 for the final lap but it was really tough - but I guess that is what the end miles in the marathon are going to feel like, so if I can keep that pace I will be OK hopefully. By this stage I was overtaking loads of runners, especially the slower ones from the 15 mile race and a few 21 milers who were suffering more than me! So I was just telling myself to push on....the killer hill was just that, but once over it is a short section to the finish. It's a deliberately long course too, which is cruel as you go through the 21 mile marker and still have 100 yards or so to run....crossed the line on 2.45.02 on my Garmin.

Overall happy with the run - would have liked a bit more in the tank but keep reminding myself this is done on heavy legs and untapered.

One more LSR to go - can't wait for that one to be over image
  • Nice one.  I wasn't expecting to spot you when I drove through Cranleigh on my way back from Dunsfold, but from your timings I must have just missed you - I should have looked more closely!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    2Old wrote (see)
    Barry-excellent result allowing for that calf and good on you going for it. Have a holiday now .. Enjoy our ongoing suffering too
    Simon- I have decided to cut back and watch Chick disappear into the distance . Your marathons next ?
    Wayhay Liverpool !

Haha - I wish! But yesterday taught me again what happens on a tough day. MP feels haaaaard!! And I didn't even hit it properly yesterday. I just ran to effort :-/

Great run, Freemers image

Rest day today and generally a very easy week coming up. I promised my body a break if it held up last week which it did. Just as well, as it's still pretty windy out there.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-it should be tough...you've been doing 70+ miles per week for ages and your body is crying out for the taper to start. As they say trust the training and you will be flying.Im wondering what sort of taper you are planning-probably similar to the average marathon runner's peak training weeksimage .I am starting to reduce my mileage a bit in the hope I avoid injury.

Free-you are in great form -excellent racing- and you must be looking forward to your taper--just one more LSR to go...I wish!!..probably 3 more for me but only one more 20

As I have a HM on Sunday I was planning an easy Friday and Saturday and am wondering about what to do with this weeks LR of 18 miles. Would I be better doing that on Wednesday and a very easy MLR on Friday reserving a bit of speedier stuff to Tuesday and other days with recovery runs?

Looking forward to everyones reports of their weekends racing especially Carrot  Barry and Minni

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

It was only 4 70 mile weeks, 2oldimage, so not that many really. But I'm really listening to my body now that I've come so far without breaking down. A few easier weeks now won't make a difference. If things go to plan I have one more 72 mile week coming up after the recovery week this week. And then it's 59, 44 and 31 in race week (not counting the marathon) image

I would do the 18 on Wednesday and then only easy-ish stuff, with maybe a bit of speed but nothing too crazy. Last year I ran a half on Easter Monday and did my long run on the Thursday before to give me enough recovery time. I think I did trendy 5s at easy pace with one or two miles at HMP on the Saturday and the Sunday.

• Barry: Great stuff sir, enjoy the tapas!

Free: Very nice 21 and well paced.

Chick: I might have done 70 miles in the past month.

I'm actually enjoying having no targets beyond getting around, I know its going to hurt my longet run having been 16 miles and that was in January! Going home on Thursday so will try to get at least 2 x 15 - 16 milers in over next two weeks and that is about the best i can hope for, Did 7 more miles of torture around the heli deck this afternoon. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-sometimes I do wonder about this(my)almost zealous observance of a training regime..I had a week resting on the shores of the Italian lakes 4 weeks before my PB in 2012. I upped the training intensity and mileage last year and though I reckon was fit to improve on that PB my achilles decided it had had enough. It will be tough for you but you have the mental strength, accumulated fitness and the crowd on your side.

Chick-only 4 you say heh heh.image Still I've managed 2 ,70s plus 4 mid 60s and 2 high 50s but I can say Ive just aboout had enough. I want my life backimage

• Get in Barry - nothing ventured nothing gained! When's the next attemptimage

Freemers - nice report, sounds like everything is coming together very nicely.

2old - with your injury troubles, surely you know the answer to the question yourself! Drop the 18 miler. The HM effort will more than make up for it. You don't want any injury risk this close to the big day

55 miles for me last week which is a minor milestone. I am also planning 55 this week, so in the 12 weeks of this campaign I will have done 4 weeks over 50 miles, which is pretty good going for me. I have not felt too shabby either, which makes me think I am finally managing slightly higher mileage.

• Barry - amazing time after the run in you had. Well Done. 

Freemers - you've got to be happy with that. its all coming together. 

DD - you easiy have the mental strength for that marathon. And that's a massive part of it. 

2old/chick - your mileage scares me!! 

Ant - that's great going. I haven't manages an official 55 mile week. 

7.7 miles for me with 6x100m strides. Is it me or with just under 4 weeks to go I'm really really tired now. Got 12 miles @mp to do tomorrow and my 6th 20 miler on Thursday. I can't wait for the taper now. Might have a rest day tomorrow and do them Wednesday and Friday instead. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done Barry - that sounds like you did it the hard way but got a good result. 

Carrot - really looking forward to your report.  Interesting that you're thinking about moving into the shorter stuff for a while.  Great result yesterday.

Chick - first lady! image

Freemers - indeed a great effort on tired legs.  You've put out some great training runs over the past new weeks.

Yesterday's HM was shite for me.  I mean completely shite. 

It was very windy - gale force, but that's no excuse.  I ran this last year just under 1:33 and hoped for similar this year - its a hilly course.  I was prepared to lose a bit for the wind but it turned far worse that expected.  I started a fair bit slower than last year and got slower!  I guess I can call it a MP 13.1 miles but that's not the point.  My hip, hamstring and glute all ached, I had nothing in the tank, and I decided at about mile 8 to defer London.

However, a chat to Moz last night drew up a new plan of a reserve taper.  This week will be about stretching and rolling and not much running, followed by a hard week next week and then a 2 week taper. 

Time will tell...

Where's KFC these days....?

• col.col. ✭✭✭
    Freemers - that's a great run. You are looking in very good shape for London

2old - I agree with Ant. I am doing a half this weekend too. I will be doing 2m before and 2m after.

Ant - my highest mileage week has been 52. More than that is too much for me.

AA - i had a very tired 10m run this morning.

Minni - sorry about the half. Your plan for the next few weeks looks a good option

Chickadee - mega mileage!

On Saturday I did my fourth and final 20 mile run for vlm. I have half marathons planned for the next 2 weekends and then a 2 week taper.