Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• How have you been doing lately with your injuries?

• 18 miles done today! So much happier than last week.  legs aren't too bad at the mo!

• Well done on the 18 milers Lainey and Mathschick. I have not been out running over the weekend just dog walking.

Hi Eckyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......nice to hear from you. Have you been behaving ????

AF How did the 20 mile race go today image

• NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, sounds like you're all doing well with the running!!

AF - sorry i didn't make it on yesterday to wish you luck for your 20miler today? How did it go?

I had my 20 miler today too, my game plan was to stick to 9m/m and finish it in three hours.

I got there a little bit late and the over flow car park was about 10 mins from registration. We parked up and i had a jog to get my chip and number. Whilst getting changed i realised i'd left my energy gels in the car!! I've never used gels before but having only been up to 14 miles before i wasn't sure how i'd cope! Anyway, with the car being so far away and me being late i couldn't get them.

I made my way to the start line and got near the back somewhere, hard to say how many people where there so i'll just say a lot!! The race started and as usual, people go off too quick, not me though haha. I stuck almost perfectly to my game plan! It was a really nice route, down past a river across a bridge and along the river again. It was quite cold and grey so it did look a bit bleak looking at the river.

It was nice and flat, supposedly the flattest 20 miler in the country. All around me throughout the run people were taking these energy gels so i was starting to have doubts in my mind! Around the 17mile point the pain in my thighs got worse and continued to do so the further i went. mile 19 was my slowest at 10mins and i think 20 was only quicker because i thought, "this is going to hurt whether i do it fast or slow!!" So i upped my pace and pushed on and finished quite strongly really!!

My girlfriend was waiting for me at the finish line and got a few photos. I got my goody bag  with a nice (heavy) medal, t-shirt, sandwich and chocolate!

I finished in 2:57:48, an average of 8:51m/m!image

• Hi Lainey and well done on your mileage.

Frannnnnyyyyyyyyyy, how are you? behave moi? of course image we have 2 bosses now so bestest behaviour now image

Brilliant running Nandy, fab time and without gels too.

Little 2.5 miler for me in my new shoosies kindly donated by one of my lovely club friends. She has been nagging me for 6mths to get new shoosies so that I can raise lots of awareness at  races and launch Histio Girl. I now have sparkle hotpants, just need a cape and I'm sorted.

• Afternoon,

Well done Nandy on your 20 miler race and pleased that you got the time you were aiming for.    

Thanks for everyones good luck wishes and good to here from your Ecky...looking forward to seeing pictures of the sparkling hotpants!!!  

Well my 20 mile race is done and dusted......it was 2 x 10 mile loops and the weather was pretty warm. The race starts on the Top Gear track at Dunsfold Aerdrome so flat for the 1st 2 miles. As usal I went off too quickly 1st three mles were 8.19,8.10 & 8.20 once off the aerdorme we were running on undualating country lanes and I hard forgetten that there were quite a few hills ....not a real problem on lap1, but less enjoytable on lap 2. I ran the 1st 14 miles with the lady form my club who I had started Brighton Marathon with & had failed to listen to her wise words as an experienced Martahoner ...."Alistair you are going too quickly!!".... a year on I still had the same message!!! However, I found the 1st 10 miles ok & finshed the 1st lap in about 1.20...inevitably the final 10 was going to be harder...my friend form the club waived me on at about mile 12 as the heat was getting to her...so I was on my own...what I do enjoy about these races is talking to eople whilst running and I ended up talking too a vairety of people including 2 20 or so ladies who are also doing brighton in 3 weeks time & aiming for a sub 4 ...so a tussle between young girles and an old boy kept us all going for the last few miles...pleaed to report that the old boy won!!! Anyway after about mile 15 I was willing the miles away and mamaned to wadle up the final few hills and got to the finsih line in 2.53.57...I was happy with that as I had been aiming for 2.55 so 8.39 minute miles has put me in a failry confident state for three weeks time.

The lady I started with finsihed 2 or so minues behind me and the lady that I have vowed to get under 4 hours was about 4 minuets behind me...so a good workout and now I am worn out!!!   

• Well done Boss, proud of you. Will be revealing Histio Girl soon.

• Nandy and AF - well done to you both image brilliant times

ecky - will be great to see a photo once you have sorted your cape image

my knee is kind of ok, I have neglected the exercises a bit lately and need to get back to doing them, but it is ok, and I have been doing run/walk rather than continuous running which seems to do the trick in terms of not aggravating it

off to swimming tonight - I think I will sleep well when I finally get to bed

• lainey - well done on your 18 miles image

• Oh yes well done Lainey sorry for not congratulating you earlier

• Thank you all, much appreciated.

Well done AF, Nandy and MC on your runs.  Awesome effort all of you.  MC-very impressed you are swimming tonight.  Walking upstairs is all I can manage!!

• I am glad you have found a way to ease it Mathschick. I need to find a way to stop the niggles so am going to get a yoga dvd as I need to work on stretches and strengthening my core as my hip is going down as I run and causing me some problems.

• Wow! What a great weekend!!

Two 18miler training runs for Lainey and MC and two blisteringly fast 20miler races! Congratulations AF and Nandy. And great race reports for us to enjoy too.

Hi Ecky image

Have trained 6 days this week (although only short distances) so decided not to join my girlies in the pool this afternoon but have a rest day.

• NandyNandy ✭✭✭

Well done AF, excellent going!! How you feeling today?

MC & Lainey - congrats to you two as well, well done on the 18milers! Hope the stairs aren't causing you too much aggro today Lainey!!

Apart from a black toenail, a blister right on the end of the same toe and a blister on the side of my left foot I feel pretty good. Obviously my muscles ache a little bit but nowhere near as much as I thought they would. Good day all round yesterday, especially with Liverpool thumping Man U!!image

• WOW well done to Nandy and AF  for getting excellent time in their 20 mile races. FANTASTIC running speedy guys imageimageimage

Just a wee 5.5 mile run after work today image still very blustery up here so was a tad hard going into the wind image

• Hi Chilli, sounds like a tough week of training for you so a well needed rest is a good thing.

Nandy, glad you are feeling okay today after your epic race.

Hi Franny, well done on your run.

I have just had my weekly plod with the dance mums although no cake as I have given it up for lent image.

• Ecky well done on your rn with the dancing mums image shame about no cake though image

Just another 5.5 windy miles again for me after work image

• ecky and franny well done on your runs

slow 4 miles this morning for me and a turbo this evening

too much cake though image

• Morning

Well done on your run Franny and thanks. The lack of cake is just torture image

Awwww Mathschick, I want some of that cake image, well done on your run and turbo.

I may not get a run as car in for mot, fingers crossed it passes. Hope everyone has a good day.

• 8 miles this morning with friends.  More than I wanted to do but for one friend it's the longest she has ever done so she was so chuffed!

• Hope the car passes its MOT Ecky and that you got out a run. Good luck with staying off the cake for the lent

Mathschick You need the cake to fuel your running Hee hee....well done on your run and turbo.

Lainey Well done to your friend on her longest run....its a good feeling to do that...will be a long time before I will reach that milestone again image

Just the 6 miles for me this morning...feeling bit tired today...got the snuffles too...and its still very windy up here but sunny image

• evening

well done lainey, and to your friend

franny - get over your snuffles

didn't manage to get up early enough for a run and this evening got disrupted because OH got help up in a meeting at work so had to look after the kids and ferry them about, but managed to get a turbo session done and nipped up to the gym for some weights while one of the boys was swimming image

• Morning

Yuck its gale force winds and driving rain here morning...so not looking forward to walking Chico image

Been to gym for a weights session..don't think I will be running today.

• Morning,

Hope everyone is ok? Been a bit busy this week.Well done on everyones runs.

Was a bit achey on monday after my race on Sunday. Managed 4.5 miles Tuesday + boot camp & then my long run yesterday. Did 16.2 miles along the coast with a lady from my club. It was a bit windy and running into the headwind seems to add 30 seconds a mile- do not want that in the marathon. Our average was 8.57 minute miles which was ok considering we were feeling the effects of the 20 miler 3 days before.

Resting today and now a few 6-8 milers over the next few days.

Have a good day folks...

• Been absent for a while.... just busy and tired!

Franny - hope weather improves!

Well done on all your great long runs and brill races everybody - what a fab team we are!

Been keeping up with my swimming and fitness room as usual. Hoping for an outdoor run this weekend and daughter and big son have promised they'll teach me tumble turns at the pool......

BFN

• hi everyone

swam last night, but my knee was hurting a bit image

am doing a 5k swim tonight - I am hoping to be a bit quicker than last year. And Sunday I am doing Loughborough Half but that might be dependent on my knee recovering now

how is everyone else?

• Gosh, MC good luck with the 5K swim! I'm guessing it would take me at least 3hours - I'd be very wrinkly by the end and I'm not sure I could finish.  Is it a race or a fundraising thingy? I can't remember you doing it last year.

• Think I've frightened everybody away again....imageimage

Beautiful day here in Turkey.  Busy with kids stuff but hopefully going to see 'The monument men' this evening. Wondering when I can runimage.

How's the knee MC?

• Hi

Took me 2 hours 8 minutes, 9 minutes faster than last year image. It was linked to sports relief - not that I did any fundraising though! I got awful cramp after about 170 odd lengths and wondered if I was going to be able to make it, but was determined to finish.

feeling a bit exhausted today though - hopefully I will get a nap in this afternoon

Knee feeling a bit dodgy but ok going up and down stairs - whereas the last few days going upstairs was a bit painful. Going to do the half marathon tomorrow regardless, will just end up walking a lot if need be

• Jude I am here.

Sorry for my absence. 10 miles yesterday and 7.4 this morning.Apparently yesterday was a tempo run as we ran @ 8.25 minute miles. Managed to have run 58 miles since Sunday morning.Resting tomorrow & tapering started.

speak later.