Ask the coaches

13»

Comments

• Steve, many thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.  I'm now not so sure if I should be running London at all!  The thing that did it for me is this:  

Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

Recovery is extra important after the second marathon even if it is slower - don't expect any PBs or fast times for a while.

I do really want to get my shorter distance times down this year.  I'll still follow your recovery advice for the next four weeks - maybe just without the second 26.2 at the end of it! 

• Carrot. I think you can do it if you don't mind running slower but just do it as a 26 miler training run and run it and don't race it and enjoy it and be happy with a time 20-30 minutes slower than Barcelona.

• thanks for the advise Steve, I did a hilly race on Saturday and hit 6.20 for all 6 miles and then comfortable ran an 18miler the day after so I'm a little more confedent I can hit a PB, I'll do as you advise to 15mile and take a rain check.got a couple more fast runs to do and 1 more race to inject some speed into my legs.

• Hi Both,

I don't know if you had chance to see my comment above but am starting to get extremely nervous about London marathon and would love a little bit of advice image

I am currently training for London and have been out for nearly 2 months with Achilles tendinitis.  I am currently logging some miles on an Anti gravity treadmill.  Would you advise (so i can get some long runs in my legs) doing a long run (16+ miles) on the anti gravity or should i stick to cross training?

Also i have been cycling/spinning/swimming etc. to try and keep up fitness, is there anything else you would suggest i should do to try and prepare my body for the long miles I have been doing these activities at higher intensities for shorted duration - my target time is 3:30 - 3:45 depending on the Achilles on the day.

Thanks very much.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Hi Sam  and Steve,

I read a lot about marathon pacing strategies. for example

1) run even splits from the off

2) first few KM a bit slow, hit your average pace after 14km and try to speed up for the last 10k

3) put time in the bank early on.

I guess I'm somewhere between 1 and 2 but I wouldn't mind getting your thoughts

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

Uluru
    Have you tried jelly beans - they are a great fuel and much easier to eat though personally I do need some liquid with them in the last 5 miles as my mouth dries.

I have found gels a great help but remember all the top marathoners managed without them perfectly well up to the 70s and 80s when most of the top British marathon performances were set so it is possible to survive without them.

But you do need to try and find things that will help you in the next few weeks so experiment with other things (energy bars?)

Hi Steve, I did the Forest of Dean half on the weekend and tried jelly beans as well as a gel. It worked really well.

Making sure I have a sip of liquid every km or so seems to really help. When I do this I don't seem to have a problem. I'm not drinking a lot literally just a sip from my Camelbak.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to get through doing that and eating jelly beand and the occasional gel

• Hi

A question to Sam or Steve.

I am doing 3 marathons (7weeks apart) Manchester/Stratford Upon Avon/Edinburgh, any top tips for training in between?

Stratford is a tough one (in my opinion, as there are few crowds and some big hills) - so going to take it easy.

I run 40+ miles per week and run a sub-4 marathon. Am hoping to pull a PB (sub 3:45) at Manchester, but am unsure how to prepare for Edinburgh.

Manchester will be marathon number 14 and I have previously done  marathons 3wks apart and 2 marathons 5wks apart, but definitely over-trained!

Any suggestions so I don't suffer/struggle on the 3rd one??

Ta