Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

6M for me this morning and then light club session tonight.  Legs were a bit tired, evidenced by the fact that the session was 2.69M (exactly the distance I raced on Ssunday) but took me 5s longer than the race - and, even allowing for the fact I was in trainers not lightweights and on grass not the road, shows that my legs were not at their best!  Still, I can do a MLR tomorrow and then 2 days very easy to freshen up for the Larne Half on Saturday.

• Great going PMJ - you'll be leaving Mo trailing in your wake on the 13th.

TR -  hope the calf's OK. As you say, it's not surprising you're feeling things a bit after the week you've had.

I've also got a bit of dilemma about which shoes to run in at London. My trusty Wave Elixirs which I've used for some of my training runs and then racing anything from 10 miles to marathon (including last year's PB) are at least 3 years old and I've done close to 400 miles in them.

If I plan to do London in them, should I hold off from using them on the next two long runs and bring them out on the 13th? Or should I do at least one of the two remaining long runs in them just to get my legs used to doing more than 13 miles in them (the longest I've run in them since last year's VLM)?

Alternatively, I could shell out the best part of a hundred quid on a pair of Wave Sayonaras (which seem to have replaced the Elixirs) and get some training miles in with them before London. 

Have never had any problems with the Elixirs so I'm tempted to stick with them, but will I start to feel the effect of the mileage and their age during the marafun?

I think taper madness has kicked in already!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

5K pacing duty went to plan tonight. A friend of mine who is new to running, she has been running for about 4 months or so. Plan was to aim for 23:59, scores on the doors 23:53. Enjoyed that and she was happy. Job done!image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, personally I would do at least a medium long run in the Elixirs, even if it is just to banish any doubts.

Take care TR, I'm guessing  living on a knife edge is never going to be comfortable.

I've 'used up' my achilles for another couple of days managing just over 13, including 3x2M at threshold pace. Walking freely in 24hrs and running in 48hrs is the plan. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

/members/images/36105/Gallery/Dipsea_trail.jpg

Lorenzo - I hope you are using taper time to think of nice running routes around the Surrey Hills to compare to my current ones.  Today I ran the Dipsea Trail which ends at Stinson Beach (see above).

Hang in there marathoners! Looking good from here.  Especially pleased to see Ant looking positive about VLM.

AR - keep it simmering won't you?  Always be guided by what your Achilles is telling you. Any luck finding someone who can wield a Graston tool and perform myofascial release?

Speedy - am so excited about your running!  Sorry to hear about your one-eyed cat though.

Minni - what someone else said, "stop racing those bloody HMs all the time during marathon training!"  Hope you find your mojo again.

As you were.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

MSE - nice route. Achilles is currently telling me "don't get any ideas that you're going to sleep tonight" image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - excellent run from you yesterday - looking good for London.
    SB - pleased to hear things are moving in the right direction.
    Birch - that's less than a mile from where my wife used to live. Good run on tired legs.
    GM - that's pretty much my 10k target too. Good luck!
    Burton - welcome to the thread. That's some 22 miler you knocked out.
    Running Eye - welcome too. 3:12 is a great time for a trail marathon.
    Abbers - well done with the hill run.
    Leslie - that's a tough session, so good job.
    PMJ - At that pace, you'll not only beat Mo but Usain too!
    6JT - I've absolutely no experience of HRMs, but certainly that 22 miler won't have helped!
    TR - hope it's just a tiny blip.
    MsE - remind why you're coming back to England?!
    AR - hope things improve soon.
    4 recovery miles d&d.

• Burton - welcome on here. Good luck at Brighton - you might want to try and track Sporty Badger down and form a sub 3:15 mini-train. He'll no doubt be wearing all black.

Minni - sounds encouraging. Have you started on the miracle cure / elixir of life (i.e. beetroot juice) yet?

MsE - I can't promise any views like that, although the views from the top of Box Hill or along the North Downs Way aren't too bad. Will the canal running through Guildford be a suitable substitute for the Pacific?! Any firm date for when you'll be back?

AR - good idea. Depending on how they feel this weekend at the end of the planned 23 miler, I'll probably stick with the Elixirs for London and treat myself to a pair of Sayonaras for Stockholm.

Ladder intervals for me this morning: 1 mile w/u then 1min, 2min, 3min, 2min, 1min, 2min, 3min at 5K effort with 1min recoveries. In Newport this evening so suspect it'll be an early morning session in the gym tomorrow. image

• Jools, if  you can do a training session just 5 seconds slower than a race then there is nothing at all wrong with your legs. Given that you had slower shoes and surface I would actually ask how much you put into the relay leg: I reckon the latter legs on these team relays are hard to run hard as you don't have that head to head race element and also there is something at the back of your mind that says it is better to run 95% and ensure you come home than risk topping 100% and blowing up.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Lorenzo: Yep!  image

SB

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image  I've on run 2 hilly HMs since last October!

Lorenzo - beetroot juice in another dilemma.  I've not had a good stomach over the last few months and lots of things are making me feel sick so not sure the line to take with Beet juice this time!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

What Gul said image

Stunning scenery there MsE. Looks fantastic.

SJT - 13 hill reps was tiring! image 7:19 as a "comfortable"  PMP bodes well for you.

TR - hope it's only a minor niggle and not a repeat issue. You were coming back well, admittedly treading a very fine line.

GM - well done on the successful pacing duties.

Lorenzo - presume that's Newport Wales rather than Newport IoW?

Legs are grumbling a bit here, will be glad when the mileage starts to ease down next week. Bit of a foam roller session last night, and then an easy 8 in the bag today.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

x-post. I've not tried beetroot juice Minni, but remember the discussion on here from previous maras. Something of an acquired taste?

• 5x1200 at lunchtime today. Was going for 4:30 (6 minute pace) but they came out at 4:24, 4:22, 4:22, 4:21, 4:22. This was on the Regent's Park track with marrows which is bit short but the Garmin shows all the paces at 5:5x or 6:00 dead so I'll take that.

Padded with the run out and back to 15.68 miles so it doubles up as a MLR as well, bonus! 30 miles so far this week and a 20 on Sunday means three steady runs over the next three days will see 70+ and the last big week before taper so all is going well. I am collecting a pacing team for Sunday's 20 so it is very controlled (at least until about 16 miles, the last 4 are flying downhill).

• Some pre-race nerves, twinges, whinges, and a good dose of highly trained afleets just about ready to peak. It's looking good methinks.

Did 7 yesterday, left hamstring is feeling a bit tight. Might need to be careful, it could become a pain in the arse.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

MsE - We have some vistas and trails like that here in Jersey. There is an ultra race in July which takes in most of them and has become quite popular with overseas entrants. Last year's was won by a lady who completed the 48 miles in about 7hrs.

TR - Fair enough re the trainers. Have you ever tried the Saucony Ride's? I used them for my Autumn marathon and thought they were very useful. Hope that calf of yours behaves itself soon.

Beetroot juice is not for me, even thinking about makes me feel queasy.

4.5 miles on lunch today in 6:49 average. Hadn't intended to go that quickly but just panned out that way, was a glorious sunny day along the beach. I need to be disciplined with my weekly lunch runs as it's so tempting to run along the pancake flat seafront when the weather's nice but I need to mix it up a bit or every run will be the same.Will do hills tomorrow!!!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Rest day today.
    Had a good glug of beetroot juice this morning. I love beetroot but the juice is a bit strong. Beet It is quite nice, that's what I'm on now.
    The purple pee can sometimes catch me out. I'm thinking of going for the beetroot and asparagus combo for the full on pee-tastic Technicolor/olfactory experience.

SB

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Beet, asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes would be the triple whammy. With An amuse-bouche of sprouts.

Nice trail MsE.

Lorenzo - yes you are taper mad. Calm down.

10m this morning and stopped half way to look in the fancy dress shop. Could be a goer.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

PMJ: disagree - I had static recoveries during the session last night and yet only ran the same pace as Sunday.  I should have been able to go faster due to the static recoveries but my legs were sore from Sunday.  I reckon that shows I was working hard on Sunday!

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Thanks for your company today PMJ. I did a good job of making PMJ look good as he cruised round, me huffing and puffing some way behind for 5x1200m.  There goes a man with cryptic speed! (meaning I cannot work out what makes him progress forwards at such a rate.  this is a compliment).  My reps were around 6:15/mile- consistently consistent and about right for me - but the 400m recoveries steadily slowed.  Also present in the park, moof remained aloof:

/members/images/473351/Gallery/moof.jpg

• Joolska wrote (see)

PMJ: disagree - I had static recoveries during the session last night and yet only ran the same pace as Sunday.  I should have been able to go faster due to the static recoveries but my legs were sore from Sunday.  I reckon that shows I was working hard on Sunday!

So I misread your original post and assumed it was a constant effort, not just the sum of the fast bits. OK, your legs are knackered after a hard run relay.

• marrows wrote (see)

Thanks for your company today PMJ. I did a good job of making PMJ look good as he cruised round, me huffing and puffing some way behind for 5x1200m.  There goes a man with cryptic speed! (meaning I cannot work out what makes him progress forwards at such a rate.  this is a compliment).

I'll take that compliment: I reckon not using the arms, no heel lift and mid-foot strike is about as efficient as I can get. You need to be efficient to do 26.2, every step counts at the end.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

GM - I'll give the 10s another few runs (if I dont like em still i'll save them til after VLM) and wear my 9's. I'm not buying another pair !

AR - I know that I've been pushing a tight calf but and quick to stop when I feel it spasm or troublesome, but it doesnt give me pain and doesnt keep me awake. If your achilles is doing that then you need to stop dude, its only running and there are plenty of other races around.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I had a rest yesterday as my knee was sore. But flying again today with 8 miles at 7:30 pace (well flying for me anyway).

Any suggestions on weight loss at this late stage. Strangely this year I'm struggling to get to my race weight (11 3/4 stones in old money), I'm about 1/2 stone over some days image. I'm trying to diet a bit this week but this seems risky 2 1/2 weeks before race day- any thoughts? 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

MsE - I can't promise any views like that, although the views from the top of Box Hill or along the North Downs Way aren't too bad. Will the canal running through Guildford be a suitable substitute for the Pacific?! Any firm date for when you'll be back?

Lorenzo - we move into our Guildford pad on 14 April so get ready to take me running that weekend!  You should be up for it with London a week behind you shouldn't you? image 

TR wrote (see)

AR - I know that I've been pushing a tight calf but and quick to stop when I feel it spasm or troublesome, but it doesnt give me pain and doesnt keep me awake. If your achilles is doing that then you need to stop dude, its only running and there are plenty of other races around.

I did think the same, AR. Waking with tightness is not a good sign.  Are you getting a good massage with myofascial release from anyone?  This could end up worse if you go ahead and race on it without getting some effective treatment and I would hate you not to have running as an outlet for you.  It is therapy for us all and I know we would all rather run than have a good race and be out of it for months (I was off for a year!)

• That sounds like some sessions guys! good going!!

7 easy miles for me tonight.... nice n slow! very enjoyable I might add!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Hmmm, take care AR, maybe a bit of a rest, bit of training then a sharp taper is in order.

Welcome to the new faces! Good to have you on board image

Yhsif, I think we are near neighbours - I'm over the water in Grange and one of my lads is at Dallam which I suspect from your weekend run is in your stomping ground.

OO, you asked about being able to run after a hip replacement.... Anecdotally yes, but I suspect it depends on the individual and the surgeon and it isn't clear on whether it would shorten the lifespan of the new joint or whether running means "jogging" uuuurgh - I'd rather not take the chance.

Solid 18 at the weekend in race kit and including loaded up race pack, all very comfy at 9mm and felt ready to race. Topped that off with 7 last night including 5k at 10k pace (6:10mm / 148bpm) followed by some hill sprints. 10 days to go image 

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

Likewise TR, forget about this infamous streak, and rest the calf. Think of the long game. VLMM will be there next year image

To be fair, waking up with pain on the achilles is not new. What was new was having 2 years without issues. The majority of my 25 year sabbatical from any form of sport was spent nursing an achilles. It is like an unwelcome relative coming back to visit.  unfortunately I ran late yesterday so didn't go through enough recovery routine to calm things down.

MSE - yes I have a decent physio, massage etc. I was discharged by NHS consultant over 2 years ago but may open up that avenue again - should get an appointment in 18 months.

Preparation and training sounds good SJ 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - fair enough, apples and oranges really though.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Marrows- a case of mistaken identity, I only have one hump. Good session btw.

OO- apart from cutting out the crap there's not much else you can do. I wouldn't worry about it now as crash diets just make you weak.

7 miles along the Kennet canal tonight, swallowed a fair few bugs. Nice.