RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-good to see you recharging your batteries

Ant- I have avoided out and out speed work and hill intervals but as Boston has some big hills I cant avoid them totally.The thing is building strength and in the glutes and hammys provides some relief to the achilles which are the weak spot.Im hoping I wont blow it now .

Carrot-how could you resist a Champs start at VLM followed by a six week recovery?

Barry-no flack from me-you have to run your own race and respect for giving it a real go .You will have learnt more about the challenge ready for the next one.... You have the speed its more about (lots of slow LRs and MLRs)endurance if your calf will behave .Looks like a challenge for you in May. If am around 1.30 on Sunday I will be happy.

FRC-awesome stuff. I take from what you say you wont be at the Pier Head Sunday morning

Daren-good luck in your HM-a stonking time is expected

Pink- after 2 HMs the temptation to do 26.2 will be too much. Maybe Barcelona next year with Barry?

A RR today...soon

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Minni - hopefully the easy week will leave you more refreshed...sounds like your body is run down and needs the break.

Got my intervals done - 8 x 800m, pace went from 6.39m/m down to 6.15m/m for the last two. Felt pretty crap for the first couple, but seemed to get a bit easier as I got into them. Anyway, just glad they're done!
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-after your very good fast intervals I wont moan about how much I hate RRs, still I  got it over with

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Brentwood - I'm jealous, Daren. I think it's a great HM to do. Love the downhill start. Bet you will run a brilliant time there.

Minni: hope resting does the trick for you. I seem to feel better but start feeling guilty again for being so lazy :-/

Wowzer, Freemers - that's FAST!!

7.5 for me. All easy. Yawnimage   I'm dreading Sunday's half - don't feel ready at all :-/

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Carrot - great report, and very well done on a super time!

Barry - I enjoyed reading your report. Given the compromised build up your time is excellent. It's great that there is no reaction from the calf.  

2old - good call not to do the 18m run. Not sure what the target is for Saturday's half. I would like to go sub 90 but I'm not so sure.

O4S - enjoy Belfast. It's been windy this last few days!

Nell - welcome. Sub 3:15 looks very achievable.

Chickadee - an easier week will do you good.

Minni - a week's rest will work wonders.

Simon- getting close now. I hope the achilles settles down.

Freemers - excellent tempo and intervals so soon after your race on Sunday.

• Freemers - excellent intervals there. I've hardly done any this time round. Been going down the endurance route!

2old/col - I reckon you'll both be sub 90 image

minni - hope you're feeling better. 

3 miles easy for me today. 6th and final 20 tomorrow. Thank goodness.image

• OMG - just dragged myself around the hills and the wind for an 11 mile MLR. Felt like I was running through treacle - with a pace to match. Only ginger cake shook me out of my funk.

Bah! 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- are you enjoying your easy week? Don't feel guilty ,I'm not .I think your half target should be marathon target less 10mins divide by two image I found the 6 I did today at 8.35 mm very tedious. 

Col- you must be in sub 90 form ? You have to go for it. Pace at 6.45 mm and hang on. Strange how doing a run 3 miles shorter than the planned 18 yesterday is seen as taking it easy .

AA- such a relief when the last 20 is done....mine is week tomorrow and I cannot wait. Enjoy the moment. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome Pinklady and col

Hi Freemers, thanks for the advice on the run. I certainly hope the wind calms down by May, otherwise it will be fun on the East coast!

Hi Minni, I think that is the HM you are thinking of. It starts at Meadowmill by Tranent in East Lothian and then finishes at Musselburgh. It does indeed look pretty flat and fast. They have labeeled it the Scottish Half Marathon, quite a statement! I think it may be a good one though, Sat 6th Sept http://www.scottishhalfmarathon.com/

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Minni Hope you feel better with the rest

Good luck with the 20 miles tomorrow AA

Go for it Col - is your HM this weekend?

2Old By the time October this year comes round I would have ran 4 HM's. Barcelona is tempting next year & I can say that both Carrot & Barry may have given me a bit of inspiration. Will see image

3 miles of hills for me at lunchtime today & I thoroughly enjoyed. Rest tomorrow, no club swimming tomorrow night due to a party so will try & swim elsewhere on Saturday. Barry's first lesson with my swimming coach is next week but I am sure he will be ok.

HM Sunday which has come round very quick. Not feeling too bad at the moment.

• Ant - I hear what you say re squats. But were as others and I (previously ) have used weighted squats, using a barbell or smiths machine in the gym, to build strength. I'm just using my body weight to loosen it up, similar to using an unweighted barbell to loosen/stretch muscles before you then use weights.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

There's a lot of us doing a half on Sunday it seems image  forecast here is wet and windy. Typical!

Always Aching wrote (see)

Freemers - excellent intervals there. I've hardly done any this time round. Been going down the endurance route!

2old/col - I reckon you'll both be sub 90 image

minni - hope you're feeling better. 

3 miles easy for me today. 6th and final 20 tomorrow. Thank goodness.image

I've not done many intervals either, AA. Partly because I'm shite at them and have no speed and partly because the fast stuff seems to annoy my back whereas it can cope with high mileage ok. But the two of them together is too much.

2Old wrote (see)

Chick- are you enjoying your easy week? Don't feel guilty ,I'm not .I think your half target should be marathon target less 10mins divide by two image I found the 6 I did today at 8.35 mm very tedious. 

Col- you must be in sub 90 form ? You have to go for it. Pace at 6.45 mm and hang on. Strange how doing a run 3 miles shorter than the planned 18 yesterday is seen as taking it easy .

AA- such a relief when the last 20 is done....mine is week tomorrow and I cannot wait. Enjoy the moment. 

Bet Col & 2old coming home with 8x:xx numbers on Sundayimage  Sorry to disappoint but I'm a crap converter from HM to full. For me it's more like HM x2 +16mins :-/   which would mean a 1:32 half to make 3:20. That would be a 2min PB and something I'd be really happy with image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-8x:xx?- I suspect something more like 9x:xximage I would put money on you nailing a PB.Weather forecast for Liverpool on Sunday looks good -sunny but cool 6-10c, little wind 11kmph in the right direction(last 3 miles along the prom on the river and can be affected by wind) minimal rain. Hope its right.

Pink-thats a lot of HMs in a year.We will be cheering you on at Barcelona next year for sure

Simon-hope the squat regime is working and good luck testing your recovery this week end

Nell-I did 'The English Half Marathon' last September which was really the Warrington HM.Wonder if the same people are involved? Its all about the branding these days,though it was a great event to be fair.

My mate produced a leaflet about swim training for tris in the pub last night so I can see that starting soon.I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to do it during the taper would it?image

Another easy short run today and nothing tomorrow, Im enjoying this mini taper

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Reread the last post-Quite like the idea of doing swim training in the pub.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Lots of HMs for the team then, very exciting! Chick - I'd definitely be very happy with a 1:32 if I ever manage it....my conversion is pitiful!

8 miles d&d before breakfast this morning - nice and slow pace. Feeling colder than of late but a nice run.
  • 18.6 miles @8:24 pace. Ran out of drink, had a headache and just was so tired I decided to cut the last loop and go home. Bit of a fail but never mind. 

My conversion is half marathon x2 add 20 mins image which makes it 3:24 for the marathon this year! 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Chick - definitely still doing VLM.  I've not been consistent enough to be in shape to go for 3.15, so I reckon I'll set off at 3.20 pace and see how long I hold on...  Expecting a mentally challenging day out!

Welcome Nell - you cant fluke the marathon, thats looks like a very do-able target for edinburgh - if its not windy its a very fast course

DD - I think running on a helideck would make anyone think about packing it in.  Hopefully the mojo will be back when you are back on terra firma

Nice report barry - I felt your pain through those splits at the back end of the race!

You running VLM as well carrot?

Done a few runs of around 8 miles over the last week - was VERY stiff after the first few, starting to get less so now.  Got a half tomorrow which I'll blast and see how it goes, and I'll aim to run a 20 next weekend to check I still can.  Who needs to taper anyway?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA - you've got it done whichever at you look at it and now it's taper time. Positive thinking from here only allowed !Don't forget how impressive getting to this point is in the context of your injury not so long ago .

kfc- great to see not doing VLM is not an option and you are aiming high . Good luck with the next few runs..call it a reverse taper

Free- yes an exciting weekend coming up 

carrot- you're quiet about VLM image

Looked at the mile splits needed for sub 1.30 and the 6 mile split. Can't see me getting under 1.30 with so little speed work done and all the plodding miles still in my legs. 

• Minni -  Don't  think I could set off quick, even if I wanted to, as first half is meant to be hilly with second half flatter.  10.30 start so maybe even hotter than Barca. Hopefully your cutback/rest week will get you back on form, you have done a lot of miles so a week off will not weaken your endurance.

Freemers - Very tasty repeats.

2old - A little confidence please for Sunday, condition sound perfect. Any pacers?

kfc - I like your plan for VLM, got to go for it.

AA - Still miles logged, were you feeling it for a while or did it suddenly happen.

• A couple of photos that sum up the weekend in Barcelona very well.

/members/images/412354/gallery/DSCF1092_-_Copy.JPG

Me and Carrot in front of the Magic Fountain

/members/images/412354/Gallery/DSCF1113-004.JPG

Me and Pink Celebrating St Patrick's day.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- no pacers ,might need a pacemaker after it image

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Pinklady - my half marathon is tomorrow. Quite a few half marathons are on a Saturday in N. Ireland.

AA - that's still a decent run at a good pace

Chickadee - my conversion last year was 2 x HM plus 17mins. I think you could be on for a very good time on Sunday

2old - once that race number is on you will nail those splits for sub 90. I struggle to do 5m at HMP in training and yet in race it just seems to happen.

I can't see me doing a sub 90. Its going to be windy and the course is on the coast so is very exposed. 

Good luck to all other racers and any one doing their long runs for upcoming marathons.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Those are great photos Barry image
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Yes it is obviously a good bit of marketing!

Hi kfc, thanks for the welcome, yes I am really hoping this wind goes away. It has been around for ages now and yes, if it is a windy day on the East coast it can be awful ;0(

When I was out yesterday morning and it was absolutely brutal, character building they call it ;0) 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Col:  where is the HM??  I think I will try timing my visits to take in some NI races in the future.  Weather was pretty rubbish yesterday and I had to weat semi-respectable gear as I had a couple of business meetings as well as family visiting.

Slow run with BA this afternoon coming up, then we will have a final attempt to do 20 in a race on Sunday - it will be the first one this campaign that hasn't been part of an ultra  image

Think my plan is to start slow and get slower.......................

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Barry: Great pics image

2old/DD: time to get emotional   link

• 2Old: the guys on the barge thought I was nuts running on the heli deck. My one and only 20 if I get that far will be next week

Barry; was thinking about Neolithic at Stonehenge is only 20 mins away but too soon after Boston. As to getting competitive again after winning AG races a year ago, the truth is that I don't have the rivalries here that I had in Dubai so cant be bothered to drive on.

Back home last night, 8.5 miles this morning at about 8-30 pace which felt easy enough. For sure running on tarmac is much easier on my niggle / injury than running on steel and b) running in the lanes is much easier than running around a heli deck  c) its colder here!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Great photos Barry!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- it's going to be more than just a marathon ! A privilege to be part of the occasion. 

DD- after seeing that link no way will any of us be a DNS at Boston so you will do that 20. 

Barry- you don't look tired at all in those pics..did you try hard enough image I'm trying to be confident but my bottle is going. 

col- what is it about putting on a race number ?

Nell- all training this time of the year seems brutal. Global warming no doubt

O4S - you were getting faster and faster not so long ago

did a 5 m TM session earlier with 1 mile at MP and 1 at HMP. Tried psychology by constantly telling myself how easy it was. My body shouted I was a liar ! Resting tomorrow. 

• Col - Good luck for today.

2old - I think I was happy/relieved to have finished and the recovery powers of Guiness are very good.  The race photos and video tell a different story,  but I did manage a smile across the finish line. Maybe set off at 6:5x's tomorrow and push on later if the pace feels OK.