Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Sorry, I'm a bit late posting today! Time to try and catch up.
    Lorenzo - Sounds like a good ladders interval session.
    Abbers - can't go wrong with a foam roller.
    PMJ - nice MLR with pacey 1200m reps.
    Blisters - take it easy.
    GM - good lunchtime running.
    Poacher - which fancy dress are you going for this time?
    marrows - good effort with the 1200m reps.
    OO - rest seems to have done some good.
    Rich - always nice to do an enjoyable easy run.
    SJ - good training - not long to go now.
    moof - any tasty ones?
    Very pleased with my first 2x3M session of the campaign this morning. 3M w/u, then 6:31, 6:28, 6:21, 1M easy, 6:34, 6:29 and 6:20, 1M w/d. Compares very favourably with same session during my HM training last year, but with higher mileage.
    Rest of catch up tomorrow maybe!

• Gul - how are you fitting in the running with work at the moment? Surely you're not still getting up ridiculously early?

• Gul- not as nice as my night off tonight! Good reps from you! 9 steady for me tomorrow!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    What's Gul doing posting this time of night???? Now my body thinks it must be morning!
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Excellent session Gul with the 2x3M

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Nice reps Gul image

Did some reps myself:

7x400 (90,90,91,90,90,92,91secs)of 50's ( was supposed to be 6 but I lost count image) and 4 x 800m( 3:04, 3:04, 3:08, 3:08)off 90's for me tonight in the middle of a 9.5 mile run.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Menn, my medical certificate is the same one I used in 2005, with the help of tipex- so we might both be booted out image

Workstation Minni- do you work in a garage?

Efforts at weight loss have failed- curry on Tuesday, wine tonight image so I'm fit but fat.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Minni are you at the XC on Saturday- I'll be there with junior OO

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Morning low flying Gul or is it evening? Nice 3 mile reps, average 40 min 10k pace there, bodes very well indeed.image

Menn - Good you're feeling relaxed re Paris, why the dilemma over the running shoes?

Have been roped into doing the inter insular XC next Sunday, will be my 1st XC since 1987. Think I need to check that course out before I run it.....

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Got home from work and nipped out for a cheeky 14 miler at LSR pace. averaged 8.17 pace with a HR of 140. Brought this run forward to free up some time at the weekend and increase recovery time going into week 2 of the taper. A few pains and niggles but I guess that's to be expected at this stage plus it's 43 miles this week including Saturday's 20 miler.

SB

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - sounds like a nice recovery run. Yes, 4:48am start yesterday for the tempo intervals. Good luck with the XC!
    Minni - get well soon.
    Yes, I made the same false assumption about marrows too.
    Lorenzo - for a moment I just read New South Wales! Well done on fitting in the gym session. Re work and running. Yes, still managing to get the running done in the morning. I'm working in Swaffham, and most days get a lift with Mrs GD as my boss drops his daughter off at school a few hundred yards down the road from the medical centre where my wife works! Yesterday I had to leave the house early to get the bus as Mrs GD doesn't work on Thursday mornings, hence the lack of a post yesterday am.
    Leslie - lots of good reps there.
    SB - nice work. Just be careful with those niggles.
    6 mile recovery run d&d. On the bus again today - boss is not well.

• I thought Marrows was a bloke, too - I can't have paid much attention to those shapely legs -  but I never doubted your masculinity, Abbers, dearieimage . I naívely thought that MsE must have referred to some kind of educational qualification, but I can confirm she really is a woman.

Off now to do 5 kms easy on the physio's orders - more details later of Niggle Hell. image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Gul - nice session bagged. Hope the job is ok.

Moof - tippexed/scanned and ready to go - have asked the doc to take the silly notes of for authenticityu but she will probably want another £80 for that.

GM - my  3 pairs of running shoes have relatively high meliage so left it late - could use the ds trainers of the pegasus but fancy something a little faster.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Nice running from Gul, Leslie & Sporty B. All looking good. Increased recovery time sounds like a good plan Sporty!

OO-51 - the "fit" is the important bit though?

Minni - any improvement on general malaise this morning?

Job meeting expectations Gul?

Uh oh Ant - what's the story?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

x-post - Menn, surely it's the colour that counts? What are the options? image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Menn - Seems to be a common dilema amongst us runners, especially those who do marafuns. Shoes have to be right, even more so when covering the 26.2. I currently have 5 pairs which I rotate, two of which are racing flats and I recently discovered that one pair which I have worn for two 1/2 mara's were not suitable for an 18 mile run, only found out at mile 15. Glad I didn't have to find out in an actual marathon!

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

odd you should suggest that, Minni (old laces destroyed in washing machine)

/members/images/473351/Gallery/laces.jpg

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Definitely girl's shoes those. I think.

• My niggle has come back to haunt me.

I was fine last week, and got a good week's training in, with a 17-miler and a 10k race towards the end of it, all no problem. It was when I went and did an easy 7-miler with some strides on Tuesday that the alarm bells started ringing. There was nothing too bad, but it was definitley there, nagging away. I thought with Wednesday being a rest day it would be sorted, but come Thursday I could barely get going. Once I'd persisted it wasn't too bad, but the session was supposed to be 10 incl. 4 x 1200 @ 5k pace. This was clearly not a great idea, but even so I went 5km and then did the first rep (4:32) relatively easily. However, common sense prevailed and I decided to cut the session short and head home. I went to see the physio and he diagnosed a strain of the peroneus longus, the muscle on the outside of the calf. I feel this sort of heaviness, a dull ache at the top of the outside of the calf which radiates to just above the knee and back again. Could I run through it? Probably, but the question is how much worse it could get in these next three weeks.

He thinks the best thing to do, along with sessions of massage and manipulation, is concéntrate on icing and stretching while maintasining a level of low-intensity training. He is quite optimistic and doesn't see VLM jeopardised unless I force the issue.

I, on the other hand, am sulking, and cursing my bad luck. However, I will do as he says -plenty of ice and stretching, but I think I have to forget the P&D schedule now and see how much I can do to maintain the fitness level I've got. On the plus side I did  do 13 weeks of good, solid training and there are still 3 weeks to go. Hopefully I will be able to do at least one more run of a decent length, apart from regular easy stuff. Any advice would be welcome.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Ant - you've hit the training and now just need to get to the line. You wont lose much fitness but need to toe that line ready to go.

I have just reveiwed my next two weeks due to legs and lower back being all over the place after last nights 14. Never had a run where everything feels so crap - I even took an ice bath!! I nhave binned all nasty quick stuff and the fastest I will be going is MP between now and then.

/members/images/594412/Gallery/shoes.PNG

Abbers Just bought these adios boost for £55 image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Menn - They are nice, do you mind if I ask where from?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

GM - Here They also have some adios 2 in some strange colours going cheap I think. Free returns too.

• Ant - be a good lad and do what Mennania suggests. Critical that you get on the plane and to the starting line in one piece.

Easy 5.5 miles this morning. Very pleasant as I had younger Lorenzito for company, at least until the final 100m when he turned the after-burners on.

23 miles planned for tomorrow morning - needs to be slow so looks like I'll be getting up at Gul o'clock to fulfil my chauffeuring duties.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Bad news Ant - I feel for you. I was15 weeks into a 20 week plan and the wheels fell off. I couldn't work out what to do; first reaction was the sulk and think "that is that" then. It has taken me a while to work out that actually I can manage things my way, so ditching P&D at this stage sounds sensible. It does sound like you have a grip on what to do; just take care to push things at the right intensity. I'm treading the line carefully, but still think I'm invincible on some runs!

I've been surrounded by my 'Marathon Team' today; I've gone pro. GP to sort out some sleep, head doc to banish the demons, masseur for the calves, and physio to recheck / prod the achilles, and then for some reason that he did explain, to apply tape over various parts of the upper and lower body.  I now have a ticket to run Saturday and Sunday (with the proviso that I take note of pain signals)

Physio also video'd me in various shoes to see the effect on the load on my achilles. Conculsion: For all it is worth I may

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Ant - what Menn, Lorenzo & the fizz said. Most important thing now is being on the start line healthy.

Menn - nice shoes! A range of weird colour combos from all sorts of manufacturers on that site. Never seen most of them before.

Lorenzo - know the feeling! My last 20 tomorrow morning, brought forward from Sunday, as myself and Mrs A are escaping for the weekend. However, that means no run on Sunday, and a 5:30 start tomorrow so I'm done in time to get the Ms As over to the grandparents. Yawn.

5 easy ones done at lunch.

• Oh me! I wish I could dish out advice on injuries but I'm the worst! Always trying to run through it and never ever had a sports massage or ice bath!
    Think you guys have done the training so test up and just easy runs till the big day just keep ticking over! My fingers are crossed for you!

9 miles for me tonight at 6:56mm average 6:57, 7:14, 6:54, 6:59, 6:54, 6:52, 6:57, 6:57, 6:43. felt fine afterwards! good stuff! no drink or gels either! I would have chewed someone's arm off for res like that 3 months ago! yee ha!

• Nice miles rich26, and solid at the end, no fade.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Leek clubs used to be big in the north east, while gooseberry clubs were popular in Lancashire. Growing and showing big or just perfect veg and fruit is still common, it's just that people who buy tasteless air-mile-heavy mush from supermarkets don't see the beauty

Anyway, look after the niggles everyone, not long to go. Lots of good runs happening too. Rich - bottle that feeling and save it till race day

7m tonight on the treadie, and another #gymfail - middle aged woman exercising quite hard on treadie and the elliptical thingy, wearing a paisley cotton Laura Ashley type smock. Unusual.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Just noticed that this thread had had more than 34,000 posts and more than a million views. Not bad going

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Ant - blimey, you have 13 weeks of what you call solid training in the bank and the fizz has said VLM is not in jeopardy, where exactly is the problem ? I've done complete campaigns that consisted of nothing more than low intensity running (its massively under rated), and you are much better placed than me this campaign.

Abbers - I note the avatar, not long til the outdoor games start now. Last weekend of indoor league here and already have fixtures on the list for April, May and onwards.

Calf was a bit tight after Sundays 21M, no pain though (so I'm not sacking it yet), and ready to stop as soon as required, all running is up and down a 2M and 1M stretch. Had to stop after 14M Tuesday (target was only 1M more anyway), but bagged 10M y'day and 18M today. I pushed the pace a bit for a few miles near the end today (MP ish), but the rest of the week was what Ant might call low intensity. If I get round I dont think I'll win, but dont think I'll come last either.